to sign a new striker before the start of the Premier League
season next week.

"We are looking at three or four different options in the
striking department which I hope will come to a happy
conclusion," said Ferguson.

"Hopefully we will have someone in for the start of the
season."

Tottenham forward Dimitar Berbatov is believed to be
on Ferguson's shortlist of potential signings.

Valencia's David Villa, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar of Ajax, Lyon's
Karim Benzema and Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz have
also been linked with United this summer.

Ferguson is short of options up front even if, as expected,
Wayne Rooney recovers from a virus in time to face Newcastle
in United's opening game on 17 August.

Cristiano Ronaldo is out for at least another six weeks after
ankle surgery and injury-prone Louis Saha's long-term fitness
remains in question.

Saha has also been linked with a move away from Old Trafford
but Ferguson says the French striker still has a future at the club.

"You don't want to give up on people like that just because
they have had a few injuries," added Ferguson.

"When he is fit, Louis is an explosive player who will guarantee
20 goals a season.

"Louis is on a programme at the moment which we feel will
get him to 100% fitness.

"It is more about his confidence in doing this programme which
will get him back playing all the time. Hopefully that is the case
because he is such a fantastic player."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7550751.stm

·
Registered
29 Posts
Fergie in hunt for striker before season starts !!

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson hopes to sign a new striker before the start of the Premier League season next week.

"We are looking at three or four different options in the striking department which I hope will come to a happy conclusion," said Ferguson.

"Hopefully we will have someone in for the start of the season."

Tottenham forward Dimitar Berbatov is believed to be on Ferguson's shortlist of potential signings.

Valencia's David Villa, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar of Ajax, Lyon's Karim Benzema and Blackburn's Roque Santa Cruz have also been linked with United this summer.

Ferguson is short of options up front even if, as expected, Wayne Rooney recovers from a virus in time to face Newcastle in United's opening game on 17 August.

Cristiano Ronaldo is out for at least another six weeks after ankle surgery and injury-prone Louis Saha's long-term fitness remains in question.

Saha has also been linked with a move away from Old Trafford but Ferguson says the French striker still has a future at the club.

"You don't want to give up on people like that just because they have had a few injuries," added Ferguson.

"When he is fit, Louis is an explosive player who will guarantee 20 goals a season.

"Louis is on a programme at the moment which we feel will get him to 100% fitness.

"It is more about his confidence in doing this programme which will get him back playing all the time. Hopefully that is the case because he is such a fantastic player."

great news :)i would prefer to see karim Benzema out of them lot but everyones thinking Berbatov but i've got a strong feeling we dont want to bid so high for him and i have a wierd feeling Santa Cruz will be bought.

·
23,699 Posts
SolskjaertheLegend said:
"We are looking at three or four different options in the
striking department which I hope will come to a happy
conclusion," said Ferguson.

"Hopefully we will have someone in for the start of the
season."
I am really quivering with excitement now:

1. From a Berbatov-only situation to "3 or 4 different options". :D ;)

2. This new player will likely to come within a week! :)

Speculations to go into overdrive again just before start of new season. And will have to glance at the screen from time to time again for the latest breaking news...

Huntelaar, anyone? :p

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
versa said:
I am really quivering with excitement now:

1. From a Berbatov-only situation to "3 or 4 different options". :D ;)

2. This new player will likely to come within a week! :)

Speculations to go into overdrive again just before start of new season. And will have to glance at the screen from time to time again for the latest breaking news...

Huntelaar, anyone? :p
yeah the fact he said 3 or 4 different options says to me that berbatov isnt gunna happen im with you on huntelaar (as in i beleive it will be him), but perhaps that falco weve been linked with but i pray sergio 'kun' aguero but i doubt it but ill keep praying lol

·
23,699 Posts
andersons_left_foot said:
yeah the fact he said 3 or 4 different options says to me that berbatov isnt gunna happen im with you on huntelaar (as in i beleive it will be him), but perhaps that falco weve been linked with but i pray sergio 'kun' aguero but i doubt it but ill keep praying lol
Dear Lord, we don't need a magician/entertainer; we have enough magicians/entertainers. A highly consistent and effective goal poacher like Huntelaar will do; boring or not. Thank you, Lord. Amen. :p

·
Registered
26 Posts
Tears of joy...

piazza said:
I'll play, you don't even have to pay me. Seriously though, go buy Huntelaar.
Not only do they not have to pay me, I'll pay them. I'll pay to play, to help out, whatever, to buy a player. It's not such a bad idea, taking up a collection from all of us to make it happen. Maybe we could have a bit of a say or at least be kept in the loop.

I just about cried when I read SAF's comments above. I was honestly starting to believe his hands were tied or that he had completely lost his mind. I really hope he said what has been attributed to him. Hard to trust these sources some times. I guess the BBC is pretty legitimate (but didn't SAF say once he would never talk to them again, oh god...)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Skye_Fan said:
Not only do they not have to pay me, I'll pay them. I'll pay to play, to help out, whatever, to buy a player. It's not such a bad idea, taking up a collection from all of us to make it happen. Maybe we could have a bit of a say or at least be kept in the loop.

I just about cried when I read SAF's comments above. I was honestly starting to believe his hands were tied or that he had completely lost his mind. I really hope he said what has been attributed to him. Hard to trust these sources some times. I guess the BBC is pretty legitimate (but didn't SAF say once he would never talk to them again, oh god...)
You ever heard of Ebbsfleet United? If you're really interested in owning a club/participating in a club, look into it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
FORWARD THINKING FROM FERGIE

Sir Alex Ferguson is confident he will have signed a striker in time for the big Premier League kick-off next week.

While Manchester United's top four rivals have all been active in the transfer market, Ferguson has kept his wallet shut.

Although it could be argued a squad capable of lifting the biggest prizes on offer last term does not need much strengthening, Ferguson is aware he needs cover up front even though he is refusing to give up on injury-prone Frenchman Louis Saha.

A move for Dimitar Berbatov has already stalled amid Tottenham's disquiet. But the Bulgarian is still believed to be on a four-man hit-list, one of whom Ferguson hopes to have landed in time for Newcastle's visit to Old Trafford on Sunday week.

"We are looking at three or four different options in the striking department which I hope will come to a happy conclusion," said Ferguson.

Apart from Berbatov, Valencia's David Villa has been mentioned as a potential target, with Klaas-Jan Huntelaar of Ajax and Lyon's Karim Benzema other possibilities.

Even if Wayne Rooney can resume his partnership with Carlos Tevez next week, Ferguson is short of options, especially as Cristiano Ronaldo is going to be out for at least another six weeks following ankle surgery.

And it hardly seems likely Saha's fitness will be trusted, even if Ferguson is refusing to throw in the towel on the former Fulham man, who has spent more time in the treatment room than he has on the pitch.

"You don't want to give up on people like that just because they have had a few injuries," reflected Ferguson.

"When he is fit, Louis is an explosive player who will guarantee 20 goals a season."

When asked about Saha's future, Ferguson suggested the forward's own opinion was a key factor.

However, not for the first time, he suggested the battle is in Saha's head almost as much as those fragile hamstrings.

"Louis is on a programme at the moment which we feel will get him to 100% fitness," he said.

"It is more about his confidence in doing this programme which will get him back playing all the time. Hopefully that is the case because he is such a fantastic player."-SportingLife

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
with the likes of ronaldo, nani,park,hargo,carrick and co still unavailable i can't stop asking myself - are we getting a bit overconfident because of the fact that last season we managed to overtake arsenal at the end and our slow start didn't cost us...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I agree and we face a very tough start, we certainly need another body up top to make our squad more comfortable.

Im pleased to see Fergie say he has 3-4 strikers in mind but why has it taken us this long to target them or ake an effort to sign them ?

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
United To Up Berba Bid

According to The Sun, United are eager to seal a £25million deal for the Bulgarian international and thus put an end to one of the summer's soapiest transfer sagas.

Berbatov has been pining for a move from White Hart Lane since the close of the last campaign, as he is desperate to play Champions League football while at the peak of his career.

AC Milan and Barcelona have reputedly expressed interest in the 27-year-old, but the Rossoneri could only manage UEFA Cup qualification and Barca appear increasingly likely to hold onto Cameroonian goal-getter Samuel Eto'o.

That essentially leaves the Red Devils, who have been searching for a classy target-man ever since Ruud van Nistelrooy left the club in 2006.

But the current champions of Europe had their initial £22million offer rejected, as Spurs are supposedly holding out for nearer £30million - word has it they even rebuffed a £32million bid from Manchester City.

Negotiations became trickier still after Lilywhites chairman Daniel Levy released a vitriolic statement that accused Sir Alex Ferguson of tapping-up Berbatov and labelled the United boss a "hypocrite" given his outspokenness regarding Real Madrid's approach for Cristiano Ronaldo.

And now that Robbie Keane has left for Liverpool, who also copped Levy's wrath, the North London club will be especially unwilling to sell the remaining half of their former strike-duo.

But with Spurs needing a few extra quid to wrap up the signing of Andrei Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg, a £25million deal for Berbatov could be looking more attractive by the day.

Berbatov

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
The former Fulham hitman has been plagued by injuries during his time with Manchester United, but is on a programme aimed at getting him back to full fitness.

The Black Cats and Baggies have both been linked with a £7million move for Saha - but it appears that Ferguson sees him in his first-team plans.

"You don't want to give up on people like that just because they have had a few injuries," said the United boss. "When he is fit, Louis is an explosive player who will guarantee 20 goals a season.

"Louis is on a programme at the moment which we feel will get him to 100% fitness.

"It is more about his confidence in doing this programme which will get him back playing all the time. Hopefully that is the case because he is such a fantastic player."

great to hear from the man himself..i've never stop rating this guy...as i said - when fit and on fire this guy is second to none in EPL...fergie knows it and he aint stupid to give up of a player who never moans and is devoted to the club...there are very few players in the world who have that qualities...certain someone from our team should look up to him ....

G

·

Brilliant news. I was starting to think we weren't going to sign anyone.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.