Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts
Discussion starter · #24 ·
TheManc said:
We definately need a striker. No matter what anyone says Campbell can not be relied upon. If it comes to the Semi Final time in the CL and Rooney and Tevez are out does anyone honestly think Fergie would put Campbell in?

Obviousy Berbatov is the one who is expected to come and I think he'll be a great player for us. He's definately my first choice, but I'm starting to consider Sana Cruz a bit higher for some reason. He would be a great signing as he would accept playing on the bench.

If we don't get a striker then I don't think we'll win the league. We've got a really tough fixture list this season we need to be fully prepared. We were lucky in a sense that Rooney and Tevez didn't get injured at the same time otherwise we'd hvae been screwed.

Santa Cruz would definitely have the qualities we need and would be understanding if placed on the bench. It's too bad that his value has shot up to 15million, which I find excessive.

For a bit more we could afford Huntelaar though, who I find more exciting and a better prospect.

Your right about the question of how much Fergie will rely on Campbell, he'll get games, but let's face it - he isn't ready for the big games yet.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
spellbound said:
Yes, wating this long without having a new players signature on the contract is gambling.

I havent really names to give you but I can say positions I see we have a weekness if something happens to our first pick.

Goal keeper: van der Sar could keep up the good work for another season or so. He's just retired form International football so this gives him a chance to get a rest during the Int. breaks. Behind him Im not convinced we have a Champions League winning goal keeper. Both Tomasz and Ben is talanted but are they top-notch?

Fullbacks: Besides Evra I have doubts. Right side looks as the weak side. Wes or Gary? I dont know. Keeping Owen there is a waste I think even if he did some impressive games coming from behind at the right wing. I think its asking too much of Rafa and Fab to get in there and deliver just yet. The back up set of Silvestre and O'Shea feels not just up there at the top. One odd game yes but what if Evra gets a two month injury in late February or March when we play knockout games in CL and have crucial games in PL? :confused:

And a playmaker at the midfield: Ive been thinking Anderson will be that one I have been wanting for a long time when I saw him last season. But during the Olympics I start to doubt that. I think he's more of an attacking player like Ronaldo then the guy with the touch. ..........

So a playmaker is what I would like to see. I can see how guys like Rooney, Tevez and Ronaldo can benefit from having one setting up the play and serving you assists for those three to finish off.

This is just my way of imagining the club to reach the next level.
I agree on the first two positions.

It is unfortunate that Ben Foster was injured last season. He would have had more games and we would have had a chance to see, if he can be top notch.
I have to say though that he looked very good while on loan at Watford.

Still, he's not a Buffon, Casillas or Cech .......yet.

But if you were Fergie would you really go out and buyer a keeper when you have VDS still able to play and Foster potentially a very good keeper?

Next, Fullbacks.

It will be very interesting to see if Gary can get back to his best. If he can, I'd have him in the starting 11 ahead of Brown. If both are out Hargreaves will be a very good replacement, so I'm not bothered about the right side at all.

I am, however, very concerned about the left back position.

To me, Silvestre merely represents good cover for a few games and you;re right, I would want him to take up that position for any lengthy period of time.

I'm not concerned abut a playmaker though.

I think Anderson will be brilliant. Let's not judge him on the Olumpics shall we?
He can be very, very good.

RedForceRising said:
I think Anderson will be brilliant. Let's not judge him on the Olumpics shall we?
He can be very, very good
Yeah I try to not get too botherd whats going on in China but still its an eye opener. I agree that he can be very very good but is he the Deco kind of guy who can set up plays or is it the characteristic Ronaldo run with the goal to finish off himself and only pass the ball away when the run is about to get stopped?

And the goalie situation. If I were Fergie I wouldnt go out buying a keeper. With the three we got it would be to send out a signal you three are not good enough to even hint he's looking for a keeper. And I didnt give any names of players we should sign because even the situation with the fulbacks is delicate since a new signing should be the first pick and at the left side he must be one heck of a player to get infront of Evra the way Evra has been playing last season. The right side is also tricky since we got Neville there and the status he got in the club if he's fit I think Fergie will play him because of the experience and the way he leads the team on the pitch.

My worries for the defence is just that I remembers too well the semi vs Milan.:(

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.