Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir Alex Ferguson has praised Manchester United youngster Darron Gibson, hinting the young Irishman could feature in the senior set-up this season.

Gibson is one among a clutch of promising youngsters to have done his first-team prospects no disservice during United's pre-season.

The 20-year-old put in some promising performances on the Red Devils' tour of Africa and has continued his good form with a stunning strike in yesterday's 2-0 friendly win over Peterborough.

The Derry-born midfielder is not known for his goalscoring prowess, having found the net just twice in total during loan spells at Royal Antwerp and Wolverhampton Wanderers.

But Ferguson believes it is a part of his game that will flourish with time, and told the club's official website: "We've been saying to him all summer, with the power he's got, he should be striking more. The evidence is there for you now. He has fantastic feet."

Goal.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,814 Posts
It would be class for some1 to really do well this season from our youth ranks, its been too long since any1 has really done well. being Irish I'd love if this could be Gibson, but I also would like to see Campbell do well and I really rate Lee Martin!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
Would love to see younger players get a chance in the first-team, but he told Pique and Rossi the same thing, so I'm holding my breath for the moment.

Hopefully we'll see Evans, Campbell, Gibson etc this season, with players like the Silva Twins and Cleverley in a year or two if their ready.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,699 Posts
manutd004 said:
Would love to see younger players get a chance in the first-team, but he told Pique and Rossi the same thing, so I'm holding my breath for the moment.

Hopefully we'll see Evans, Campbell, Gibson etc this season, with players like the Silva Twins and Cleverley in a year or two if their ready.
Harsh reality check. So only seeing is believing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
gibson scored a gud goal in pre-season. apart from that for the past 3 years all ive seen of him is nothing. he's lazy & looks out of shape. as for campbell, he can do it for any other team then united. sir alex tellin you what to do is a bit too much for him. he cant handle the pressure. inevitable, they are gonna be sold & i would gladly take £2-3m each. hewson the only british talent who could do well but sir alex has to much in the midfield. the twins & rodrigo r real talents but they come from abroad & have no fear. I personally think that our youth system has gone a bit downhill. it's ok, we can produce good championship players but thats not good enough. We need the youth to have a bit more freedom instead of just being 'yes' men. if campbell come through like rooney & scored alot of pre-season goals of all different types & looked fearless, then i be the first to say keep him. but he just running around like a headless chicken & not even having shots, i be damned if he plays any part of this season for us. I don't like seeing cowards put on that united shirt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,740 Posts
Gibson played in Ole's testimonial, wasn't involved in alot of the action but played pretty well and looked tidy on the ball.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
Nav21 said:
if campbell come through like rooney & scored alot of pre-season goals of all different types & looked fearless, then i be the first to say keep him. but he just running around like a headless chicken & not even having shots, i be damned if he plays any part of this season for us. I don't like seeing cowards put on that united shirt.
Very harsh calling a young player a coward on the evidence
of a few pre-season games.
Did you ever think of the pressure
a young player is under trying to make the break through at
a club like ours.
Give him a few games to get settled and gain
confidence, which scoring in Ole testimonial will have gone a
long way to doing.

If you want our youth system to improve sometimes you need to throw a young player in and see if he sinks or swims.

I think Campbell has every chance of succeeding!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
I hope some of the young guns play against Juve tomorrow - then we'll see who has potential, who might have to work for it, and who should be shipped off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Nav21 said:
gibson scored a gud goal in pre-season. apart from that for the past 3 years all ive seen of him is nothing. he's lazy & looks out of shape. as for campbell, he can do it for any other team then united. sir alex tellin you what to do is a bit too much for him. he cant handle the pressure. inevitable, they are gonna be sold & i would gladly take £2-3m each. hewson the only british talent who could do well but sir alex has to much in the midfield. the twins & rodrigo r real talents but they come from abroad & have no fear. I personally think that our youth system has gone a bit downhill. it's ok, we can produce good championship players but thats not good enough. We need the youth to have a bit more freedom instead of just being 'yes' men. if campbell come through like rooney & scored alot of pre-season goals of all different types & looked fearless, then i be the first to say keep him. but he just running around like a headless chicken & not even having shots, i be damned if he plays any part of this season for us. I don't like seeing cowards put on that united shirt.
I wish they had forums in 1995 and they would have said the same thing about your legends back then. If Sir Alex thinks he has a player who can play for the first team he is usually right but it also depends on the player to take hold of the oppurtunity.
E.g. is John O'Shea, when he came on his performances were blinding so much that we had him pencilled for the first team left back slot but then he got found out and now he is more of a squad player, same with senderos and many others. Very easy to say an xyz will not make it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
RedMurph7 said:
Very harsh calling a young player a coward on the evidence
of a few pre-season games.
Did you ever think of the pressure
a young player is under trying to make the break through at
a club like ours.
Give him a few games to get settled and gain
confidence, which scoring in Ole testimonial will have gone a
long way to doing.

If you want our youth system to improve sometimes you need to throw a young player in and see if he sinks or swims.

I think Campbell has every chance of succeeding!
To say coward was wrong. I could not say a another word. i hope campbell does make a name for himself, i said it on the campbell forum, it's just not gonna be with us. with ronaldo, rooney,saha out of pre-season this was probarly his only chance to impress, and he hasn't . Sir alex is just sayin good things about him cause he does play for united & you need to give the kid confidence. if a £3-4m bid comes from hull or any team i put money on it that the gaffer will take it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
shanky said:
If Sir Alex thinks he has a player who can play for the first team he is usually right but it also depends on the player to take hold of the oppurtunity.


I never doubt sir alex & what he's done. I've never said a bad word against him. Im not questioning his choices, i'm just sayin gibson, campbell, simpson, (eagles when he was here), r given chances cause hown grown system, Not cause of there quality. Deep down he knows who's good enough & who isn't. Sir Alex will get rid off them in due course. It just annoys me when some of you, just cause campbell scored a decent goal in a testamonial, he's a raw talent who b a success at united? don't make me laugh.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
15,336 Posts
Nav21 said:
I never doubt sir alex & what he's done. I've never said a bad word against him. Im not questioning his choices, i'm just sayin gibson, campbell, simpson, (eagles when he was here), r given chances cause hown grown system, Not cause of there quality. Deep down he knows who's good enough & who isn't. Sir Alex will get rid off them in due course. It just annoys me when some of you, just cause campbell scored a decent goal in a testamonial, he's a raw talent who b a success at united? don't make me laugh.
Simpson and Campbell have potential. They are certainly going to be Premiership quality. And we're not the only ones who think that. A man called Keith Griffin wrote a great piece on Man Utds youngsters which you have probably by-passed.

Every post I've ever seen from you, you have always said something negative about Man Utd in it. Are you even a United supporter at all?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
manutd004 said:
Every post I've ever seen from you, you have always said something negative about Man Utd in it. Are you even a United supporter at all?

Im been a red devil all my life. I am just a perfectionist. That is why i say what i say bout uniteds youth. Im hoping that we get the nxt becks or giggs, but i dont see it happening. the brazilian have got potential, but they r not hown grown. If you post anything bout the first-team i would say nothing bad about it, apart from we need a striker & a left winger. All im saying is that the simpsons & campbells of this world would not guarentee us the title in the future, When they get ship off in a few years what are you gonna say then. (they had potential but sir alex is wrong for selling them). We would be better of without them. So this goes out to all of you, don't EVER question my loyalty to united.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25,467 Posts
RedMurph7 said:
Very harsh calling a young player a coward on the evidence
of a few pre-season games.
Did you ever think of the pressure
a young player is under trying to make the break through at
a club like ours.
Give him a few games to get settled and gain
confidence, which scoring in Ole testimonial will have gone a
long way to doing.

If you want our youth system to improve sometimes you need to throw a young player in and see if he sinks or swims.

I think Campbell has every chance of succeeding!

Great post Murph. I wouldnt really agree with some of Nav's choices of words on the issue
but I think he makes some very valid points and he is being realistic and I tend to agree
with a lot of his points regarding the youths.
We all want them to do well but the likes of , Gibson, Simpson, Campbell, Martin
Cleverly, (Eagles, Shawcross, Lee, Bardsley & Pique)(before they left) will
NEVER become a first team regular for United. I want them do do well and I big
them up also. They are all decent players in their own right but can they be
World class like the Ronaldo's, Tevez's, Rooney's, Scholes', Rio's etc etc....
of the world? Simple answer is that no they cant. Not the above mentioned
anyway, not a snowballs chance in hell.

Saying that, every kid needs a chance, some support and confidence.
Its down to them now to take their chances and prove that they can do it.
I have serious doubts the above mentioned will but there are others who could
get a sniff in future years though it will be tough (Wellbeck, Rodrigo, twins)
They all have a chance though a lot will depend on who is ahead of them
in the pecking order. Midfielders like Hewson, Gibson and Rodrigo have many,
many World class players ahead of them.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Great post Murph. I wouldnt really agree with some of Nav's choices of words on the issue
but I think he makes some very valid points and he is being realistic and I tend to agree
with a lot of his points regarding the youths.
We all want them to do well but the likes of , Gibson, Simpson, Campbell, Martin
Cleverly, (Eagles, Shawcross, Lee, Bardsley & Pique)(before they left) will
NEVER become a first team regular for United. I want them do do well and I big
them up also. They are all decent players in their own right but can they be
World class like the Ronaldo's, Tevez's, Rooney's, Scholes', Rio's etc etc....
of the world? Simple answer is that no they cant. Not the above mentioned
anyway, not a snowballs chance in hell.

Saying that, every kid needs a chance, some support and confidence.
Its down to them now to take their chances and prove that they can do it.
I have serious doubts the above mentioned will but there are others who could
get a sniff in future years though it will be tough (Wellbeck, Rodrigo, twins)
They all have a chance though a lot will depend on who is ahead of them
in the pecking order. Midfielders like Hewson, Gibson and Rodrigo have many,
many World class players ahead of them.
I agree with you in all the things you said there, but I do think that Evans has a chance to make the starting 11(if he stays), albeit not for the considerable future, while Wellbeck, if he maintains his good attitude, can also start for us.

The likes of Pettrucci, Macheda, Rafael and Fabio are hard to talk about as 99% of utd fans haven't enough of them, except Macheda but then he has only been in the reserve's for 6 months.

I do honestly think that the younger youngsters have a chance to make it 'proper' with us, not just a squad player, but its down to them.

Our U-20's are very, very good IMO.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top