Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson admits he’s still undecided as to who should partner Wayne Rooney in attack against Wigan on Saturday.

With competition for places up-front for United once again hotting up, Ferguson admits that he faces quite a quandary.

Much has been made about new signing Carlos Tevez’s inability to play alongside Rooney, with both players being similar in style. Louis Saha on the other hand looks to be getting back to full-fitness and offers much more of a traditional striker’s presence.

With Ferguson highly unlikely to squeeze in all three, a decision must be made, and Fergie acknowledges it’s a tough choice to make.

“There’s a decision over which one I should play," the manager said. "Both are fit and ready to play, no question about that, but as yet I’ve no idea who I will pick.

“We were encouraged by the vigorous performance Louis gave against Roma. He's got great physical presence and speed. I thought he was first-class bearing in mind it was his first start since March.

“He's excellent when he gets going, as we saw last year when he scored 12 goals before Christmas. If he'd remained fit he could got to 30. He’s a goal threat, whether it's in the air or with either foot.

“We're on the right path with him. We have to decide now whether we give him a second start or put him on the bench and bring him on later in the game, where he can be so important.

“The interesting thing was that Tevez showed against Roma that he can come off the bench and change the face of the game,” he continued. “He brought a different problem for them, which helped at an important part of the game.”

1 - 3 of 3 Posts