1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fergie gets green light to target Wigans Antonia Valencia,
he will table a bid of 18m,as Real Madrid are also monitoring
the situation of the winger,paper talk ?or what,with the right
players around him,i do rate this player.

Z

·
0 Posts
I can't see this happening really or Fergie wouldn't have brought Tosic in. He's a good player who could do well at a big club with the right guidance, but he's not worth 18 million.

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
Valencia's a good player but not a United player imo and he isn't worth paying £18m for when as zuco we have Tosic

·
Pz
2,062 Posts
Do not really want him to be honest.

I mean he is a good player but its alot easier to stand out playing for wigan if you're decent technically as a winger than it is for us in my opinion.

Others could argue that he has players of less quality around him so to still play very good means he must be very good and he may but i dont think we need him.

If its a winger we're getting, get someone with serious unquestionable talent like a ribery if he is an option because he plays at a high-ish level already and has experienced top level football.

Squads strong enough as it right now anyway and we have a good bunch of talented youngers coming through too! :cool:

...and 18 million?

pz!

·
23,699 Posts
telegraph

Manchester United in pole position to sign £18m-rated Antonio Valencia

Manchester United are front-runners to sign Antonio Valencia following Wigan manager Steve Bruce's admission it is "inevitable" the Ecudorian winger will leave in the summer.

Valencia turned down a transfer deadline day move to Real Madrid to stay at the JJB Stadium but Bruce is resigned to losing the 23-year-old in five months' time.

"It's inevitable he is leaving. There is so much interest in him - not just in this country but around the world," Bruce said.

"We are talking about the biggest clubs in this country and Spain and beyond.

"There was a loan deal put to us by Real Madrid but it was not acceptable. We do have someone in mind to come in, but that is five months off."

United were said to have made their interest in the attacking midfielder, who can play on either wing, during the January transfer window.

However, a report in the Mirror claims Bruce met with his former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson to persuade him to hold off making a bid until the next window.

Bruce would have been loathe to lose Valencia in the same window that saw Emile Heskey complete a £3.5 million move to Aston Villa and Wilson Palacios join Spurs for an undisclosed fee thought to be in the region of £14m.

Wigan, however, will be unable to retain Valencia's services beyond the end of the season if their £18m valuation is met by United.

Real Madrid could turn their attentions away from Valencia following last month's rejection and ramp up their efforts to sign Carlos Tevez instead.

The Mirror adds that Real want to lure the Argentina international away from Old Trafford and will match the £75,000-a-week offer United are prepared to pay Tevez to keep him.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Papers - ManUtd.com

Meanwhile, The Mirror claim Sir Alex and Wigan boss Steve Bruce met recently in a "secret summit" to discuss bringing Luis Antonio Valencia to Old Trafford in the summer. Wigan have had enquiries from around Europe but the paper believe he'll move to United for £18million. The Mail and The Dialy Express carry similiar pieces.

As for Valencia, he's a good player and I wouldn't mind him here. However, I wouldn't take him for £18m tbh. If we're going to spend as much as £18m, I'd rather buy a more proven, classy winger such as David Silva, even if he was to cost a bit more.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Dont set your sights that high Fergie!! really hope we dont waste that much on him.. he's a nothing player and belongs at a nothing club...

The best he can set his sights to should be to emulate Pennant or Benayoun, have a good season on the wing for a nothing club, get a move to a 'big' club preferably Liverpool, have whatever progress you were making halted by Benitez until you have successfully become half the player you were when you joined!

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
decent player who has adapted well to the PL and come on greatly under bruce. 18m is pushing the boat out a bit. plus as i just mentioned in ribery thread, a winger wouldnt be high on Sir Alexs wish list this summer.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Valencia is a good player but not United class. Real are just despered to get a right winger cause since Figo they hadn't a winger that would be a grea adition for them( Beckham was mor a succes for them outside the pitch more than inside) and i think they're throwing money to every player they consider should be their's.
18 mil is way to much for Valencia. I wouldn't offer more than 10 mil for him. He's good but not that good. To offer 18 pounds for a player who's gonna serve the bench more , is a crazy thing to do. If Ronaldo deosn't leave and Fergie realy wants him we should take him, but not with that price. If Ronaldo leaves than my opinion is that Fergie should look elsewhere. There are players far better than Valencia at that price. Who knows maybe with that ammount of money and a bit more, who knows maybe we'll get someone like Ribery:)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Valencia is quality and with guidance from fergie he could become great i think, but 18mil is too much maybe 10-12 tops. I would believe it if ron went in the summer but otherwise its not gonna happen just paper talk me thinks

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
abojodeh said:
we don't need a new winger :rolleyes:

if we want to buy someone buy Palacios coz we need more cm's than wigners
Abo wtf, city just bought him like a couple of weeks ago! And I'd say Ronaldo is our only top class winger currently

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Richie said:
Abo wtf, city just bought him like a couple of weeks ago! And I'd say Ronaldo is our only top class winger currently
it was spurs ;) but ya i get your point :p and ya your right out of all our wingers you would only class ronaldo as top class the rest are all either good very good or not so great but with potential! for me our no1 priority signing should be a winger

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
cantos red army said:
it was spurs ;) but ya i get your point :p and ya your right out of all our wingers you would only class ronaldo as top class the rest are all either good very good or not so great but with potential! for me our no1 priority signing should be a winger
Haha well I look like a d*ck now don't I! Don't know why I said City, so used to them buying everyone!

Yeah I agree it should be priority, the left wing spot is the weak link in our side. But thats what I don't get about this Valencia thing, if him and Ronaldo are to be in the same team then one of them will be out of position. Unless we were going to bring Valencia AND someone else is and get rid of Nani and Park, but I don't see that happening!

My top choice would be David Silva, with Ribery close behind.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
Richie said:
Haha well I look like a d*ck now don't I! Don't know why I said City, so used to them buying everyone!

Yeah I agree it should be priority, the left wing spot is the weak link in our side. But thats what I don't get about this Valencia thing, if him and Ronaldo are to be in the same team then one of them will be out of position. Unless we were going to bring Valencia AND someone else is and get rid of Nani and Park, but I don't see that happening!

My top choice would be David Silva, with Ribery close behind.
haha well tryingto buy everyone ;)

ya but see i think that if we do sign valencia that ronaldo will move out onto the left where i actually think hes more effeictive because hes cutting in on his stronger foot and its not like he gets many crosses into the box anyway so i think that's what he will do!

ya i agree villa or ribery would be top class signings but i could have sworn that villa said he wanted to stay in Spain :confused: alll in all though we do need a new winger imo

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,917 Posts
rooneyNo10 said:
Valencia is quality and with guidance from fergie he could become great i think, but 18mil is too much maybe 10-12 tops. I would believe it if ron went in the summer but otherwise its not gonna happen just paper talk me thinks

Mind you this is just like tevez or when we bid to Ronaldo, we will ALWAYS pay over the odds while we're successful, as in the fegie replacement thread we're the team that all other fans love to hate and we're labeled glory hunters (probably by a liverpool fan originally) so if the glory hunters want a player he's got a glory hunting price tag so we just have to accept it, we will pay over the odds for years to come - but we'll also be successful for years to come

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
cantos red army said:
haha well tryingto buy everyone ;)

ya but see i think that if we do sign valencia that ronaldo will move out onto the left where i actually think hes more effeictive because hes cutting in on his stronger foot and its not like he gets many crosses into the box anyway so i think that's what he will do!

ya i agree villa or ribery would be top class signings but i could have sworn that villa said he wanted to stay in Spain :confused: alll in all though we do need a new winger imo
Nah Ronaldo is best on the right definitely, his running results in less end product from the left IMO. So I don't think we should risk playing our best player out of position so accommodate someone who isn't as good. Yeah if you mean Silva not Villa then yes he said he wanted to stay in Spain, but hopefully we could persuade him but that would be a stumbling block. I suppose I could accept Ribery though :D

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I agree with Abo to a point. I feel we need CM to partner Carrick, every top club has two world class CMs operating, sadly we don't IMO.
Anderson has not improved much, Fletch is a grafter and having a great season but not world class, Scholes is a shadow of his former self and Hargreaves has his feet up the last 5months.

Maybe when Hargo is back we might be covered, and i see him and Carrick forming a good partnership. But how long till Hargo is in the sick bed again?

So we don't need Valencia, we need a bit of Creative quality in the middle IMO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts