Manchester United Talk banner

Are You In Favour Of The 'Six Plus Five' Proposal?

• Yes

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 36 60.0%
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3627664,00.html

Blatter wants controversial system in place by 2012

Fifa have voted in favour of the 'six-plus-five' rule which would place restrictions on foreign players.

The president of football's world governing body, Sepp Blatter, hopes to see the initiative implemented by the 2012/13 season.

The ruling would limit the number of overseas players any one team can field in their starting XI to just five.

Fifa have grown increasingly concerned by the number of foreign stars infiltrating Europe's top leagues, with the English Premier League sounded out as the most obvious example.

Despite fears from the European Union that the introduction of the rule would contravene freedom of movement regulations, Blatter insists that Fifa would proceed "within the limits of the law".

Balance

"It's to make sure that there is better balance in the competitions and not only three or four teams in a league of 18 or 20 are fighting to be the champion and all the others are just there to not be relegated," said Blatter.

"As (Newcastle manager) Kevin Keegan recently said: 'I can only start my season to fight to be fifth or sixth or seventh. It is impossible for me to go into the final four'.

"At the end of the Champions League in Europe you have in the quarter-finals four teams of the same association; in the semi-finals three of these teams.

"Then in the final you are surprised that you have two teams of the same association?

"We want to bring some remedies and this is the six-plus-five rule's objective."

Incompatible

While Fifa are keen to push on with the idea, Uefa are still calling for a rival 'home-grown' player system to be introduced.

Uefa defines 'home-grown players' as team members who, regardless of age or nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the National Association for at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

The EU have already given their backing to this concept as it contains no conditions based on nationality and would prefer to see Fifa back down with their controversial proposal.

"Compared with the intentions announced by FIFA to impose the so-called '6-plus-5 rule', which is directly discriminatory and therefore incompatible with the EU law, the 'home-grown players' rule proposed by UEFA seems to me to be proportionate and to comply with the principle of free movement of workers," said EU Commissioner Vladimir Spidla.

- I do not understand why FIFA are pursuing this idea when the very leagues they are targeting are governed by European Union laws, which would prohibit such dicriminiation.

Has anybody read FOUL! by Andrew Jennings? It's a good read and a ghastly view into the corruption within FIFA.

One of the problems that Jennings bemoans in the book is the lack of journalistic integrity from his colleagues, who rather report news than to uncover the truth. Jennings states in his book that Blatter is very clever at using the media in his favour and that by making controversial statements and rulings, he is actually diverting attention from FIFA's corruption scandals.

The EU has already said that UEFA's idea would comply with EU labour laws, while FIFA's would not and yet they vote on it and make a big houha about it. Disgusting.

They couldn't implement this anyway and I'm glad. I agree to a certain extent that clubs like Arsenal have gone too far by fielding an entire team of foreigners, but at the same time I want to see the best players in the world turn out for my team.

UEFA's idea seems better, but also has its cons. It basically would force clubs to act like Liverpool. Go out, get a bunch of talented youngsters under the age of 18, train them, loan them out, bring them back and hope they can be stars. But what if they don't? It would really limit the options of a team with big ambitions.

* Update: One more thing I would like to add is that this ruling would favour countries where it is easier to naturalize a foreginer.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
I think that the all english final has alerted the footballing world and they want to cap the players at the club.

In theory, its a good idea but I'm not up for it. Of the top four ourselves and 'pile
would be hit nut we'd manage.

Chelski and Le Arse would be unbelievably badly hit.

Strange one , but a no from me.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The FIFA idea is really bad and the Uefa idea of homegrown players is a much better one atm...they should try to find other solutions before they start voting and trying to implement it asap imo...maybe they should have a forum with the clubs where they can discuss the problem and try to come up with a solution together which everyone is happy with...maybe the reason why people are not going for local talent because they are simply not good enough?

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Lol. It was 'by 2010' a couple of weeks ago. Give yourself another 10 years Mr Blatter and it will make no difference - this will never happen.

·
Registered
788 Posts
EU has already stated that they are against this rule and i dont think they will let it happen.

Arsenal will be up **** creep without with paddle if this happens LOL

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I'm sorta not to keen on this. even though we have got enough English players in the first team, i think they want this to take action in 2012/2013. Arsenal and Chelski will suffer..........Chelski £50m on Ashley Young.....hahahaha!

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Am i the only on thats wants it ?

Its a class idea we always have around 6 british players in our starting XI, but i think 6 is very steep maybe 5. Great to see Wengers face if this came in ;)

·
23,699 Posts
Fifa's proposals 'incompatable with law'

the independent

Fifa's 'six-plus-five rule' would be incompatible with continental law, the European Union reiterated today.

The rule would limit the number of foreign players in each club's starting line-up to five and president Sepp Blatter hopes to have it in place by the 2012/13 season.

But EU spokesman John MacDonald stressed it would fall foul of the EU's anti-discrimination legislation and would not stand up in court.

"The 'six plus five rule' of Fifa is simply a rule that is based on grounds of nationality so that is incompatible with community law," he told Sky Sports News.

"If they were to implement the 'six plus five rule' in Europe what would happen is any professional football player who feels aggrieved by the rule would be able to take the football club concerned to court and he would probably win the case."

Fifa have said they want to "explore" the possibilities "within the limits of the law", but while the EU would welcome dialogue, MacDonald does not see a way forward for the plan.

The EU are, however, positive about a proposal from Europe's governing body Uefa that would set a quota for players trained in a particular country but not necessarily of that nationality.

"We have had valuable exchanges with Uefa in the past," MacDonald continued. "Fifa have been less forthcoming with dialogue but we welcome the desire now, that has been expressed by Fifa, to come and talk about these issues.

"In a study we did of the home-grown players' rule, we're of the opinion - on the basis of current evidence - that in fact that rule neatly side-steps the problem of direct discrimination, which is against community law, and can be considered to be compatible with community law.

"Any indirect discrimination is justified by the aims, which are to bring balance to the game through encouraging the development of young football talent."

Former England manager Steve McClaren believes legislation is the wrong way to address the problems in the domestic and international game.

McClaren oversaw England's failed bid to qualify for Euro 2008, and the diminishing number of English players in the Premier League was widely believed to have contributed to that failure.

He said: "People are trying to change (the percentage of English players) through legislation, through quotas.

"I can see that concept but the main one I'm concerned about is improving our players and improving our coaches because if you do that you've got a long-term plan.

"At present we haven't got any British coaches working abroad and that's where you get your education.

"We've imported it in, through players first and managers and coaches after that and eventually, if we're not too careful, we're going to produce a Premier League full of foreign coaches, foreign owners, then where do British coaches come through and manage?"

Professional Footballers' Association chief executive Gordon Taylor believes Fifa's proposal is "tilting at windmills" and believes a balance must be struck between their 'six-plus-five' idea and Uefa's 'homegrown players' scheme, which has already secured politicians' backing.

Uefa defines 'home-grown players' as team members who, regardless of age or nationality, have been trained by their club or by another club in the National Association for at least three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

The Commission has approved the Uefa arrangement because, says Brussels, it contains no player conditions based on nationality.

Taylor believes that idea is more sensible and would like to see that strengthened, admitting it is currently "weak as water".

The players' union chief told PA Sport: "I just feel with the the proposal, it is tilting at windmills in the shape of the European Commission because the law will not allow it.

"That is why I feel that rather than do that as a gesture that may not succeed, there is a much more realistic chance of success in encouraging youth development if they look towards strengthening the already-accepted ruling of Uefa, which albeit is eight out of 25 in a squad as long as they have been developed by a club or country for three years between the ages of 15 and 21.

"That is too weak because it is just in a squad, but if it was then revised to be on the field of play, all clubs would be abiding by the same rules and it would be an encouragement of youth development irrespective of nationality."

Taylor added: "Whilst people say 'they will just bring over youngsters from abroad' they may well do that, but at least they would all have to prioritise youth development.

"With the 'eight out of 25', the European Commission cannot reject that, it is so obviously an encouragement of youth development.

"But it is not enough, it should be talking about a limited number on the field of play because as it stands, it is weak as water.

"It is a case of finding a balance between that, which is too diluted, and Fifa's, which has no chance because of European Commission law.

"We might as well start dealing with reality, and what is achievable."

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
of course it should happen the premiership is an english league and we need to get a lot more british players involved for our national teams sake.the only guys on here that are opposing this are foreign guys ,but this is britain and our own players must be produced,don't get me wrong i am all for top quality foreign players joining the league but theres thousands of mediorcre non british players throughout the english league who only come for the money,our own youngsters must be taught and given the chance before a lot of these players.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
sweet fa said:
of course it should happen the premiership is an english league and we need to get a lot more british players involved for our national teams sake.the only guys on here that are opposing this are foreign guys ,but this is britain and our own players must be produced,don't get me wrong i am all for top quality foreign players joining the league but theres thousands of mediorcre non british players throughout the english league who only come for the money,our own youngsters must be taught and given the chance before a lot of these players.
I voted no because FIFA's idea is completely unworkable.

UEFA's idea about 'homegrown players' is much better but they have not given any detail on the number of homegrown players that would have to be in the squad.

·
Registered
675 Posts
a riduculous idea !

the reason we import foreign players is because they are world class, very entertaining players. people PAY to see entertainment.

IMO the reason we import is because english players simply can't cut it. (England National Team anyone ?)

and as for keegan goin on about impossible to break into the top four, it just shows his faith and belief in his own team, pathetic man. if he bought good players managed them good, recorded win after win after win. he's gona break the top 4 obviously.

i'm sick of the other 16 teams blaming there inability to win on the top 4.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
One things for sure.... if this goes thru then the value of english players will rise dramatically ! You are right , Arsenal and Chelski will suffer ;o

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
This idea cold actually ruin the teams outside the big 4.

The big clubs want the best players and right now the majority of them aren't
English.

Therefore, this new idea comes in and they find that they need a player for a
certain position. Take Micah Richards at Citeh. United want a solid right back and
they can't look overseas because they already have their allowed quota on the
field.

So what do they do? They look in England for English talent, find it and buy the
player leaving the club with money for players.

Now, the big club has their player and they're happy......

....however, the small club is left with 20M and they want to buy a replacement
right back, and this is where the problem occurs. They will look abroad but all
the quality players are either at too high a price, happy where they are or aren't
interested in signing for a club outside the Champions League set up....

.....So, the small club are left back looking in England where all the quality English
players are now suddenly on the move to United, Chelsea, Arsenal and 'pile,
leaving the smaller clubs with incredibly scarce sources and the inability to succeed.

Also, this would more then likely guarantee that we would never see an all
English final again as Spain and Italy would overtake England and begin to
dominate.

If this was to all happen, players like,

• Andy Johnson
  • Ashley Young
  • David James
  • Jermain Defoe
  • Dean Ashton
  • Peter Crouch
  • Gareth Barry
  • Stewart Downing
  • Aaron Ramsey
  • Micah Richards
  • Aaron Lennon
  • David Bently

and I could go on, will all be "forced" to leave their respected clubs as the bigger
clubs would swoop in leaving an offer both club and player can't refuse.

People complain that the league is only between the top four and the rest have
no chance, well, this idea certainly isn't going to help that and to me, is going to
make the problem 10 times worse.

Bit of a mouthful, eh?

But seriously, is this a proposal which could destroy the Barclays Premier League
and the smaller clubs a good idea?

Views?

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keano! said:
So what do they do? They look in England for English talent, find it and buy the
player leaving the club with money for players.

Now, the big club has their player and they're happy......

....however, the small club is left with 20M and they want to buy a replacement
right back, and this is where the problem occurs. They will look abroad but all
the quality players are either at too high a price, happy where they are or aren't
interested in signing for a club outside the Champions League set up....

.....So, the small club are left back looking in England where all the quality English
players are now suddenly on the move to United, Chelsea, Arsenal and 'pile,
leaving the smaller clubs with incredibly scarce sources and the inability to succeed.

Also, this would more then likely guarantee that we would never see an all
English final again as Spain and Italy would overtake England and begin to
dominate.

If this was to all happen, players like,

and I could go on, will all be "forced" to leave their respected clubs as the bigger
clubs would swoop in leaving an offer both club and player can't refuse.

But seriously, is this a proposal which could destroy the Barclays Premier League
and the smaller clubs a good idea?

Views?

- I just thought of another scenario. While I think that the all-English ifnal is the main reason behind Blatter's stupidity, I think that there might be another way the smaller clubs and English football would benefit.

The clubs like Blackburn and Everton would have to buy from the Championship.
David Moyes is an astute buyer of Championship talent and such a move would force other managers to buy local talent from the championship.

I actuallyy see this ruling benefit smaller clubs, but not the bigger clubs.

Especially bigger clubs with strict immigration laws. Countries like France, Spain and Italy have more (shal we say) flexible naturalization laws.

And an African player from one of the former French colonies could become a French natural pretty quickly. Not so in England.

This ruling will not benefit the big English clubs, but will benefit the big Spanish and Italian clubs.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
no and no
i really dont like to play only 5 foreigners cuz we normally use 6
vnr vida erva carlos ander
but we can survive and win
while teams like realmadrid and arsenal cant
rm: only 3 from spain
ars: only 2 from england and none from scotland wales and ireland

1 - 20 of 44 Posts