Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FIFPro World XI and Player of the Year has been announced.

World XI:

Iker Casillas
(Real Madrid)

Sergio Ramos
(Real Madrid)

John Terry
(Chelsea F.C.)

Rio Ferdinand
(Manchester United)

Carles Puyol
(FC Barcelona)

Steven Gerrard
(Liverpool)

Kaká
(A.C. Milan)

Xavi
(FC Barcelona)

Lionel Messi
(FC Barcelona)

Fernando Torres
(Liverpool)

Cristiano Ronaldo
(Manchester United)

Our very own Cristiano Ronaldo has also been named as the FIFPro World Player of the Year !!!!....Well done to him :)

SOURCE: Sky Sports News

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the original update from the FIFPro Website:

Cristiano Ronaldo voted FIFPro World Player of the Year

FIFPro, the world players’ union have announced their World Player of the Year and World XI. Man United’s brilliant Portuguese Cristiano Ronaldo has lifted the 2007-2008 title. The award was made to a delighted Ronaldo today in Manchester.

FIFPro’s (Fédération Internationale des FootballeursProfessionels) 57,500 members around the globe cast their votes and Champion’s League winner Cristiano Ronaldo came out on top. He takes over from Milan’s Kaká who has held the title for the last year.

Cristiano Ronaldo commented: “To be recognized by my fellow professional players worldwide coming from over 50,000 players is amazing. I would like to thank my teammates and coaches and everyone involved at Man United and the national team, as well as my family and friends for their support. Thank you also to FIFPro for this award and for your work in protecting the interests and welfare of players around the world.“ ‘

FIFPro members also voted for their team of the year. The side was comprised of a goalkeeper, four defenders, three midfielders and three forwards.

The FIFPro World XI is:

Goalkeeper – Iker Casillas (Spain/ Real Madrid)

Defenders – Sergio Ramos (Spain/ Real Madrid), John Terry (England/ Chelsea), Carles Puyol (Spain/ Barcelona) and Rio Ferdinand (England/ Manchester United)

Midfielders - Steven Gerrard (England/ Liverpool), Xavi (Spain/ Barcelona) and Ricardo Kaká (Brazil/AC Milan).

Forwards – Lionel Messi (Argentina/ Barcelona), Fernando Torres (Spain/ Liverpool), and Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal/ Manchester United)

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Wow, what a team that would be.

Good to see 3 English players in there and I'm really pleased that Rio has got some recognition for his brilliant form last season. It's a good thing Saturday's game against Everton wasn't taken into account though. :rolleyes:

No surprise that Ronaldo got player of the year. He outshone everybody by a country mile last season.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
that looks like quite a team indeed!

Congrats to ronaldo. Let's hope he remembers which club he was at when he managed to attain such lofty accolades and I hope he gets the Ballon d'Or too.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
stuoid list Fifa are retards

Vidic is the world best defender and yet he didn't get picked while stupid Puyol ****ty r
Ramos and overrated Terry get picekd :mad: :rolleyes:

and what Kaka have won the last season ? a Uefa cup place ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
abojodeh said:

Vidic is the world best defender and yet he didn't get picked while stupid Puyol ****ty r

Charlie is ok but maybe Terry could be questioned. But Rio on the left wing back? :D
Thats the best joke I heard all day long.

But its just big names game voting. Im just dissapointed Ronaldinho didnt make it:p

Seriously...David Villa!?:cool:

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
christianoharleiro said:
Terry and Puyol ahead of Vidic... :/
Exactly what I was thinking.

Also, how Terry won defender of the year at the CL awards during the draw ahead of Ferdinand and Vidic was also another questionable decision.

I might sound biased saying Vidic as well, but what about Evra?

He was absolutely fantastic last year in the Prem AND Champions League, attackingly and defensively as well as consistently.

No doubt that Ronaldo deserved his award though, no matter what your feelings about him.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Also, how Terry won defender of the year at the CL awards during the draw ahead of Ferdinand and Vidic was also another questionable decision.

I might sound biased saying Vidic as well, but what about Evra?

He was absolutely fantastic last year in the Prem AND Champions League, attackingly and defensively as well as consistently.

No doubt that Ronaldo deserved his award though, no matter what your feelings about him.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Evra was last year's best left back in europe.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Evra is the only glaring omission, get rid of Terry. I'd probably have left Kaka out as well, and probably put Senna or Iniesta in.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
abojodeh said:

Well said :) Ramos among the best? ..... RIDICULOUS.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts