1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 Chelsea, 7 United, 3 Liverpool and 2 Arsenal players in world XI nominations

Published Date: 21 October 2008
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/8-Chelsea-7-United-3.4612925.jp

Chelsea lead the way in England in nominations for the FIFPro World XI Players Awards despite finishing runners-up to Manchester United in the Champions League and Premier League.

They have eight players shortlisted - Petr Cech, Ricardo Carvalho, Ashley Cole, John Terry, Michael Ballack, Michael Essien, Frank Lampard and Didier Drogba.

United have seven players nominated. Cristiano Ronaldo, who weighed in with 42 goals last season, is joined by Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, Carlos Tevez, Nemanja Vidic, Patrice Evra and Edwin van der Sar

Steven Gerrard, Fernando Torres and Javier Mascherano comprise the Liverpool trio. Arsenal have two nominees - Gael Clichy and Cesc Fabregas - while Celtic goalkeeper Artur Boruc is also in the group of 55 players.

The Premier League attracted the most nominees with 21, followed by the Spanish Primera Liga with 18. Kaka, who won the individual honour in season 2006-2007, is again among the nominees.

The final World XI and the FIFPro World Player of the Year will be announced on October 27.

Goalkeepers: Boruc, Buffon, Casillas, Cech, van der Sar.

Defenders: Alves, Bosingwa, Cannavaro, Carvalho, Clichy, A Cole, Evra, Ferdinand, Nesta, Lahm, Lucio, Maldini, Pepe, Puyol, Ramos, Terry, Vidic, Zambrotta, Zanetti, Zhirkov.

Midfielders: Deco, Ballack, Essien, Gattuso, Fabregas, Gerrard, Iniesta, Kaka, Lampard, Mascherano, Pirlo, Ribery, Senna, Sneijder, Xavi.

Forwards: Arshavin, Berbatov, Drogba, Eto'o, Henry, Ibrahimovic, Messi, van Nistelrooy, Ronaldinho, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez, Toni, Torres, Villa.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What great players.

This would by my FIFpro XI:

Ronaldo - Torres - Messi

Ribery - Essien - Kaka

Evra - Ferdinand - Carvalho - Ramos

Casillas

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Eh, what did Drogba do last season?

He was injured for most of it, was outshone by Manucho at the ACoN and got sent-off in the Champions League Final.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
^^ ha wtf Carv and Rio ahead of VIDICC!!! God !!!

My XI

Rooney Torres

Arshavin Ronaldo

Cesc Iniesta

Evra Vidic Ferdinand Ramos

Cassilias (Buffon achieved 0)

subs : Van Der Sar, Carv , Messi , Gerrard , Essien Adebayor , Senna​

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
abojodeh said:

My XI

Rooney Torres

Arshavin Ronaldo

Cesc Iniesta

Nice team and I agree about Casillas.

But Iniesta "only" won the Euro 2008.
At least Torres I can say he scored the most goals in a debut season AND scored in the final of Euro 2008.

Cesc, mayb one could say he had the most assist in EPL AND won Euro 2008.

But Iniesta?

don't get me wrong - he is a class act. Pure football, but Barcelona did sweet FA last season.

I don't think achievement is the only criteria for judging/selecting the FIFPro World XI.

BTW, it's a world X! so no subs :)

·
Registered
854 Posts
-----------Cassilas-----------
Ramos Ferdinand Vidic Evra
--------Xavi-----Iniesta-------
-------------Lampard------------
Messi---------------------Ronaldo
--------------Torres--------------

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Nice team and I agree about Casillas.

But Iniesta "only" won the Euro 2008.
At least Torres I can say he scored the most goals in a debut season AND scored in the final of Euro 2008.

Cesc, mayb one could say he had the most assist in EPL AND won Euro 2008.

But Iniesta?

don't get me wrong - he is a class act. Pure football, but Barcelona did sweet FA last season.

I don't think achievement is the only criteria for judging/selecting the FIFPro World XI.

BTW, it's a world X! so no subs :)
i didn't know who to choose

i went to Senna but i though i would be the only who would pick ever him
Gerrard Essien and Lampard are no class to sit on the bench
so i was left out with the choice of choosing 2 out of 4 Spaniards and i think Cesc had achieved the best with his team while Iniesta performed the best for barca and spain

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abojodeh said:
i didn't know who to choose

i went to Senna but i though i would be the only who would pick ever him
Gerrard Essien and Lampard are no class to sit on the bench
so i was left out with the choice of choosing 2 out of 4 Spaniards and i think Cesc had achieved the best with his team while Iniesta performed the best for barca and spain
Have faith in yourself abo, and if you want to pick Senna, pick Senna ;)

It's your opinion, nobody elses, in the end.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
abojodeh said:

My XI

Rooney Torres

Arshavin Ronaldo

Cesc Iniesta

There's nth wrong with picking Carcalho over Vida abo. Everybody has their own preferences dude. As for me, I'd pick Carv over Vida too. Carvalho is better than Vida imo, but Vida & Rio would complement each other better...

Casillas
Ramos Carvalho Ferdinand Evra
Essien Fabregas
Ronaldo Rooney Messi
Villa​

Yes, I chose Villa as I believe he's the striker with the best finishing ability and off-the-ball movements currently. 9 goals in 9 club appearances for a team like Valencia who doesn't promise quality deliverance of passes and recovering from a major crisis turnaround this term is simply sensational. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts