Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm assuming this hasn't been posted yet, I was expecting it would be the the hottest talking point today..

One of my mates just emailed this to me.. sorry dont know where he pulled it from but looks like the FA donr want a repeat of us winning the League and Europe again!!

What a miserable holiday Sir must be having. First Cristiano Ronaldo stopped talking to him, then Aaron Ramsey snubbed a move to Old Trafford and Carlos Queiroz reportedly decided to leave Old Trafford to replace Luiz Felipe Scolari as Portugal's national coach. And now this - a Premier League fixture list that probably matches even the worst of the worst-case scenarios envisaged by the Manchester United manager.

Seen out of context from the rest of United's commitments next season, its devilry is not apparent. However, once the rest of the fixture list is crammed in alongside United's league schedule, any irritation Ferguson felt upon studying it would be understandable. Indeed, it is difficult to conceive of a harder set of fixtures for Manchester United to undertake on the six weekends that follow the first round of Champions League matches - Chelsea (a), Liverpool (a), Blackburn (a), Everton (a), Arsenal (a), Manchester City (a) and Tottenham (a).

The scheduled three-pointer against Fulham at Old Trafford on August 30 will be postponed because of United's Super Cup fixture against Zenit St Petersburg the day before, ensuring that, with only the home fixture against Newcastle and a tricky trip to Portsmouth taking place before the visits to Anfield and Stamford Bridge, it is far from inconceivable that the champions will be near the bottom of the table even as late as one month into the new campaign.

The optimists may argue that United have an advantage in getting so many of their tough matches out of the way early in the season, it is unlikely that the Scot will be endorsing such a viewpoint. Having stressed the need for a fast start ahead of the last two title-winning campaigns, it is not the south of France sun that will be making Ferguson red this week.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think it was posted earlier but was taken down due to copyright
infringement or some lark.....:rolleyes:

Anyway, Im delighted with the fixtures... We get all the tough ones out of the way
first. We have away games against the top 5/6 teams before we play them
at home. Thats great imo. If we can stay in touch by the new year we should
be laughing next year, with the easier fixtures.
Especially as we shall be in the midst of another gruelling CL campaign.

Either way, its all relative as we play each team twice (same as everyone else) ;)

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Quite harsh on us, having Liverpool and Chelsea both in the first 5 games, yes L'Pool we usually beat but it's at Anfield and early on, Chelski at Stamford after that :(

But tasty opener ;) Hopefully Ronaldo if he's still here doesn't get sent off second game again Pompey again :p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
im glad that these away fixtures are out the way quickly
and if we win/draw most of them puts straight into the driving seat for the rest of the season
rather than having to worry about the big matches sat the end deciding what happening

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't we generally have a stumbling start.. so potentially points to be lost .. but of course we are great during Squeeky bum time so all those home fixture will reap high point tally's so it will all work out.. the away games after ALL of our CL group games is a little too convenient!!! Would be woried about a few of them although the likes of the Blackburn game is no longer a worry!

When are the Citeh games?? could be tasty this year, lets hope we do the double this year instead of those muppets!

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
eoininho said:
When are the Citeh games?? could be tasty this year, lets hope we do the double this year instead of those muppets!
city(h-9 may) and then arsenal(h) and then hull (a) are the last three.
city(a) is november 29 i think

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
nice little run in with city, arsenal and hull. first two of those being at home.

with regards to the start, it may just be the start we need for a change. beat liverpool and chelsea and we will be pumped.

They will not be wanting to face us just as much as us face them and never is a good time to face any of the big 3 but hopefully with ronaldo in the team, we will have inflicted damage to two of our rivals once again.

·
Banned
9,929 Posts
All in all, I'm fairly happy with the fixtures...

The only thing that seems tough is our run in. We do NOT want to be only just ahead or behind for the run in.

Sunderland, Wigan and Boro away
Spurs, Citeh and Arsenal at home

We will ahve to be at our best to come through them with a 100% record...

S

·
0 Posts
I couldn't give a monkeys who we start or finnish with
to be honest. We play every team home and away sometime
during the season.................BRING IT ON !!

A couple of points....i wonder just how many games we'll play
at 3pm on a Saturday this season. ( not many i'll bet ).

Also there are a couple of fixtures that the Premier League has
scheduled for United which cannot possibly be fulfilled.

The first is Fulham at home on the 30th of August -
the day after the Super Cup in Monaco.
I'd guess that game will be moved either to the following
Monday - cutting slightly into the international break -
or to the previous (bank holiday) monday

The other fixtures that cannot be fulfilled by United is
Wigan at home on the 20th of December -
and United v Spurs at White Hart Lane also probably out -
both due to the World Club Championships.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
SALFORD RED said:
during the season.................BRING IT ON !!
Exactly. Spot on. You can now close this thread!!!!!

·
Registered
675 Posts
its great we have all the big away fixtures now. if the season ends up goin like it did last year. it'll be chelsea, arsenal and the like having to come to US. were in a better situation :)

the liverpool/chelsea games are great as well. once there out the way we can focus on CL without worrying about a big game.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
As long as I get a ticket to whatever game is being played when I come over I don't care. :D

SALFORD RED said:
during the season.................BRING IT ON !!.
I agree with everything except the typo. ;)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Not really bothered at what stage we get whom , i have got to agree with pat crerand , we have not been done any favours with the big matches following european ties , but fergie always finds a way of coping

1 - 17 of 17 Posts