Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_3576002,00.html

Arsenal refused new contract, says Milan-bound star

Mathieu Flamini says he would still be an Arsenal player had they offered him a contract last summer.

The 24-year-old French midfielder asked the club for a new long-term deal at the end of the 2006/07 season, but was told instead to prove his worth to the team.

He went on to be a major influence on Arsene Wenger's side last season, but agreed to join Milan on a four-year contract earlier this month.

"If Arsenal had offered me a contract last summer I would still be their player now," Flamini told The Sun.

"Last July I told Arsenal I wanted to extend my contract so, of course, I would have signed if they had offered me a deal - but they didn't.

Prove yourself

"They said they wanted me to prove myself first.

"It was difficult for me at the beginning. I had to see it as a challenge but I won't lie, it was not easy. You have to be mentally very strong to cope."

Flamini admits it was a big decision to leave Arsenal, but says he opted to join Milan because of the size and stature of the Italian club, despite Arsene Wenger's assertion that he left for more money.

"I've enormous respect for Arsene Wenger, but I did not leave for the money," he said.

"I'm leaving for Milan because it's one of the biggest clubs in the world - with millions of fans everywhere, an enormous history and one of the biggest trophy cabinets in the world."

- Ouch! I think Arsenal were right to ask him to prove himself. He didn't really have good seasons prior to this season and now that he's finally proved himself he runs off to Milan. What a spineless player. I wish he stayed at Arsenal! Now they might get somebody who really wants to be at the club.

·
Registered
566 Posts
i believe wenger's miser salary policy will see more of his young guns leaving.
they are worth much more than they are paid.
take fabregas for example, he can easily be 1 of the top earners at clubs like chelsea, united, barca, madrid etc but he is only paid a meagre 65k/week.it looks as if arsenal was a very poor club when they are the complete opposite!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
Is it Arsenal's loss or Flamini's though?

AC Milan failed to qualify for the Champions League yesterday after Fiorentina won to deny them 4th place.

It'll be interesting to see if the likes of Kaka and Pato will be happy playing UEFA Cup football next season.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
reddwarf said:
Is it Arsenal's loss or Flamini's though?

AC Milan failed to qualify for the Champions League yesterday after Fiorentina won to deny them 4th place.

It'll be interesting to see if the likes of Kaka and Pato will be happy playing UEFA Cup football next season.

Good point.

Flamini was part of a team which to me would have been real title challengers in a
year or two.

Now the squad is falling apart.

Lehmann, Flamini, Hleb gone, Gallas crying in matches, Adebayore supposedly on
the way out and Fabregas not what he used to be.

And, AC Milan aren't in any great nick themselves. If we had been better
prepared last season we would have beaten them over the two legs.

I've got the feeling that we won't be hearing the name Flamini a lot now.

I would be very very concerned if I was an Arsenal supporter. All the above and
no trophies! Wenger being questioned.......:rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts