Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
United fail in Fletcher Appeal, same for Barca regarding Alves and Abidal

Sky Sports | Football | Champions League | News | Uefa rejects Fletcher appeal

Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher will miss the UEFA Champions League final after Uefa rejected his red-card appeal.

The Scotland international was sent off in the Red Devils' semi-final second-leg victory over Arsenal after he was perceived to have fouled Cesc Fabregas inside the penalty area.

Fletcher was therefore facing an automatic suspension for United's final meeting with Barcelona on 27th May, which can be seen live on Sky Sports.

But replays suggested the 25-year-old did not foul Fabregas and boss Sir Alex Ferguson was optimistic the punishment could be overturned on compassionate grounds.

Uefa, though, has upheld the suspension and Fletcher will be forced to sit out the trip to Rome, while Barcelona's appeal against the bans of Eric Abidal and Daniel Alves has also failed.

A statement on the European governing body's official website read: "The Uefa control and disciplinary dody today rejected the protests of Manchester United FC regarding the suspension of Darren Fletcher, and FC Barcelona regarding the suspension of Eric Abidal and the yellow card of Daniel Alves."

Not really much of a shock this. UEFA stick to their guns. Big blow for Fletch

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Makes sense. They haven't allowed it before, why allow it now just for these teams. And why did Barça appeal Alves' suspension for the final? That was two yellow cards accumulated, not a straight red. They knew the risk and fielded him anyway. Had UEFA overturned that, I can think of some other players who would be extremely angry, I.e. Scholes and Keane.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
i have mixed emotions on this

i think Fletch could have done a job on Xavi and maybe kept him quite but at the same time if he was to come back then that would mean the two Barca boys could come back in and would make them stronger but now i think that we should be able to take them especially with Innesita just coming back from injury too :)

so overall its good for us IMO

G

·
Makes sense. They haven't allowed it before, why allow it now just for these teams. And why did Barça appeal Alves' suspension for the final? That was two yellow cards accumulated, not a straight red. They knew the risk and fielded him anyway. Had UEFA overturned that, I can think of some other players who would be extremely angry, I.e. Scholes and Keane.
To be fair his suspension should have been extended for making a frivolous appeal.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
It's certainly a blow for Fletcher and Abidal. They were both wrongly sent off and are going to miss one of the biggest games of their careers because of it. If Fletcher or Abidal had kicked someone and it went unnoticed by the referee, I'm sure they'd punish them for it so it's disappointing that they can't do the opposite. It should be both or neither though, and that's fair that they've stuck to that.

As for Alves, I really don't see why they appealed for him when that was because of two yellows.

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts
I bet they just rejected these appeals on the basis that it keeps in with their strict, and ridiculous, rules that players can't appeal a red card.

They didn't even look at the evidence. Fletcher didn't deserve to be sent off, and Abidal definitely didn't. UEFA would be better off rejecting appeals based on the evidence of whether a player deserved to be sent off or not rather than just dismissing them out of hand.

If a player is wrongfully sent off, as shown by the TV replays, he deserves to take the decision to appeal. Especially when the game he could miss is as important as a Champions League final!

What muppets they are at UEFA.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
This might sound hypocritical coming from me, but I feel sorry for Darren Fletcher and he deserved his chance in the final.

Even if he might not necessarily have started, I think he would have played some part.

However, this decision works in our favour. Alves and Abidal are a much bigger loss to Barca than Fletcher is to us. We have a good chance of beating them, if the same Manchester Untied show up that beat Arsenal

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
This might sound hypocritical coming from me, but I feel sorry for Darren Fletcher and he deserved his chance in the final.

Even if he might not necessarily have started, I think he would have played some part.

However, this decision works in our favour. Alves and Abidal are a much bigger loss to Barca than Fletcher is to us. We have a good chance of beating them, if the same Manchester Untied show up that beat Arsenal
Come to your senses eh RFR?

·
Bra-burning feminist
3,918 Posts

Very good point. Barca suffer more than we do.

However, Fletcher was a part of the Manchester United team that beat Arsenal...

.... still, we should have cover for him.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Well it was expected, but still have you have to feel sorry for both Fletcher and Abidal.
Especially Fletcher, i'm gutted for the lad.
But why did Barca appeal Alves' suspension - he deserved it.

Anyway Fletcher is a big loss to us, but Barca are without their two full backs which is brillant for us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.