• Let him Leave-For his own good. He isnt good enough for United

Votes: 25 21.4%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fletcher has the fans divided. Some love him and thinks he can do the
job when called on and others say he isnt good enough to play for United.

Pique has come out and spoken about Fletcher saying he should move to Everton.
http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/07/27/Prem-Pique-on-Fletcher/

Fletcher has endured a similar experience as he has failed to install himself as a
first-choice midfielder at the Premier League champions, and now Pique thinks it
could be in the 24-year-old Scotland international’s best interests to follow his
example and move on.

So.....should Fletch stay? Do you want him to stay?
What does he offer us?
Thoughts?

(Poll added)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I first read this and you changed my mind for a second lol...but Ill stick with the
Fletch posse. He deserves to be in the squad and play a role.
My writing in red below.
RedForceRising said:
I'm not sure how many of you have seen the pre-season games, but it was quite eye-opening to see the youngsters playing alongside Darren Fletcher.

Now granted it was pre-season, but for crying out loud, the youngsters looked as capable as Fletcher and in Possebon's case have better first touch and ball control.
Fair point
A point raised by versa is that Fletcher raises his game according to the opposition and this is definitely true.
I dont think this is particularly true. He always puts the same effort into every game. Maybe its cos he plays so well against big teams that he gets this label and unjustly so. Not that thats a bad thing to be-a big match player. Thats why he is vital to our squad.But what's the point of having a squad player who does a good job three to four times a season and in the rest of the games he's called upon does a decent job at best? Cos he's a squad player. He isnt first 11 is Fletch. How many 'stars' would be happy with his role? Fletch never moans or gives out. He gets on with it by getting stuck in. He never lets the team down. Never

There's no point. In all the years of watching Fletcher, he has only managed to improve marginally and I'm certain he wouldn't have been this long at UNited if he weren't one of Fergie's faves. Fair point again. Its hard to argue with these points to be honest. Im in the 'Keep Fletch' camp but you do raise some valid criticisms. Your post nearly had me convinced lol :rolleyes: but Fletch has earned the right to be in the United squad. He's a fighter who we should appreciate more, especially when you have ****s like Ronaldo *****ing about the place.:rolleyes:

John O'Shea always gives you a 7/10 performance, whether he's playing Roma or Derby. The same cannot be said of Fletcher. With Flethcer it can be 8/10 against Roma and the 6/10 or 5/10 against West Ham.
hmmm I see the point you are trying to make but Fletch had a fair few 9's last season, as well as 8,7,6's. Id say he is consistent enough. Same level of consisency as the rest of the midfielders. All of them had lulls in form at some point. Every last one of them. So we need to allow for the odd '6' I think.
I like his character and personality, but contrary to what a few people are claiming he is NOT a good squad player, because of the point I've highlighted above. Perhaps he's a decent squad player.
Im glad you can appreciate some of his qualities but maybe you arent giving him his just rewards? Performances like against Arsenal were out of this world, Bryan Robson like even.
Before you start getting out your knives, consider this: Cast a glance at Chelsea. Check out their squad and their squad players. Would Darren Fletcher have a place in that squad?!?!

The answer is no.
I actually agree with you here. Mainly cos Chelsea have an obscene amount of quality midfielders :rolleyes: He would stroll into Pool or Arse's squad though.

And Chelsea are our biggest rivals and we have to stay ahead of them. I truly believe that the current youngsters like Possebon and Eagles can be better than Fletcher if given the chance.
Possebon I agree with ya there, but not Eagles. He is 22/23 and still not ready. He may score the odd goal in friendlies (and score some crackers in the reserves) but he gives the ball away FAR too much and hasnt taken his chances at all. Not United material imo.

At the most, I'd keep Fletcher for one more season to have decent cover while the youngsters cut their teeth, BUT I would have no qualms if we sold him for a decent sum.
Now your talking ;) I hope he sticks around for at least another season or 2 but as you said the young lads are getting ready. Anderson and Possebon will be ahead of him shortly, if not already.....
No qualms whatsoever.
Great post though Rfr. I understand your views.

abcdef said:
Fletcher should stay as long as he wants to because he is a good squad player who always gives his best and will play wherever the gaffer tells him. Hes got Rooneys attitude, albeit with less anger.
His footballing ability is not enough though. I never feel he has the talents to win us a game. If we need someone to step up, it can never be Fletcher. He owes it to himself to seek first team football for his careers sake, but only if that is what he wishes.
Most players leave big clubs to seek regular football because they aim for international football etc, but Fletch is Scotland captain already. He plays a good amount of games per season and is a cog in a very good footballing machine.
If he is happy being part of our squad and can accept he will never be under the column "matchwinners", then long may he stay and do the job Sir Alex keeps him to do.
Just saw this after... great post, great reasoning.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
32-13 for Fletch to stay. Nice to see a lot of people have the faith (whether it is
blind or not remains to be seen)...but you have all made good posts/points
on the subject so thanks.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Varadi said:
Decent player with a good attitude and work ethic.

Would be delighted to see him at Newcastle, we will happily take O'Shea off your hands as well. Perhaps a deal seeing Shola go the other way to ease your striker problems. :)
ha nice try :rolleyes:
Hows Duffer looking for you guys. Heard he scored a hat-trick in pre-season
and might be back to his best. Anything else you can tell us?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Fair play to Fletch. He had a great pre-season and has scored twice already
in the Prem. So for those of you who wanted him to stay there is some good news:

Fletcher set to earn himself new four-year deal

Sir Alex Ferguson is set to offer Darren Fletcher a new contract. The Scotsman's
current deal expires at the end of the season – but the hardworking midfielder
has impressed so far this season and has scored both of United's Premier League
goals to date. Negotiations are underway, with Fletcher set to commit his long-
term future to Old Trafford. The Scottish international's future has long been the
discussion of debate.

Often criticised by the Old Trafford boo-boys, Fletch has avoided the temptation to
seek regular first-team football at another top-flight club and has worked hard at United.

He has taken advantage of the summer absentee crisis at the club and has
enjoyed an impressive start to the new campaign. He looked a little rusty in the
Community Shield - missing a sitter from three yards out - but has responded
superbly with goals against Newcastle and Pompey in the league.

Ferguson regards the 24-year-old has a hugely useful squad player and Fletcher
is prepared to commit his future to the European champions. Discussions are
taking place and the player is expected to pen a new, lucrative four-year deal in the near future.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
RichardsReds said:
If he stays 4 more years at the club that takes him to 28 then he may as well finish his career here.

united legend in the making possibly?
Nah, he isnt good enough to become a legend, but he can damn well do a good job when asked.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
spwaff said:
we should sell him....What does he offer us?
Well so far this season he has won us 4 points.
He always does the job when asked and can perform well against the best teams.
He never moans or complains and he gives 100% every time he crosses the
white line. Cant ask more than that really.
Great squad player that is essential to United's success.
God bless Fergie's love child.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
Well well well...
Im SO happy Fletch stayed with us this summer.
With Scholes and Carrick out for 10 & 4 weeks respectively
its time for Fletch to step up to the plate AGAIN.
HArgo has also had fitness problems and there is Anderson whose
season has been stop/start and fatigued due to his commitments in the Olympics.

Im sure Fletch will be the main man in our midfield for the next month or so
and Im happy for him. Im sure he will do exceptionally and not let the lads down.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
RFR-So what do you make of Fletch's recent performances?
You have to admit that the lad has been very good recently. ;)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
NoxiousD said:
Actually he hasn't, 3 goals means nothing when your doing nothing productive in midfield and leaving us short
My point is, is that he is doing a job in the middle of the park.
(check last Motm poll)
and we need to fair when we judge him. We cant only point out his deficiencies
as a player. He may not be as talented as a lot of the other midfielders but he
makes up for it with effort and good performances.

Personally I think he is just a squad player, but one that I appreciated having at
our club. These kind of guys (like OShea) need to be commended instead of
bashed. I just think RFR's view on him is a bit harsh. He makes out that my nan is a better footballer.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Fletcher is probably our stand out player so far this season.
He is most definitely in Fergie's plans and he is pushing for a regular spot in every game.
What say you now RFR? Do you like him now? Is he doing the business? ;-)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
RedForceRising said:
However, the stats are there and something about the Carrick-Fletcher partnership is working a treat.

long may it continue!
:D Nice to see you softening your approach on Fletcher and recognising the good he brings to the team ;)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Fletcher has had a very good season so far playing in loads of games.
He has now past 200 games for United :eek: 201 games in all to be exact,
which is a fantastic achievement for the lad.

1. How do you feel about Fletch now?
2. Have your opinions of him changed over time?
3. Great squad player? first team player? or neither?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Fair enough ReddestFront, its your opinion.

but can I ask.... has your opinion of him not changed even a little bit this season?
I mean, he is having a decent season right? few goals, more games and he has
bulked up a bit also. Can you not give him even a bit of credit?
Surely he is worthy of a place in our squad?

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
TheManc said:
He has good passing. Not great, but good.
He has brilliant workrate and is brilliant at harrassing opponents, which forces a mistake aswell as simply tackling his opponents.
His penetrating runs are his main improvement this year. He has caused opponents a lot of problems when charging into the box.
He's also a lot quicker than Neville or Butt were.

He has forged an excellent partnership with Carrick aswell, they compliment eachother greatly.

He's been our second best midfielder this season.

He is a very good squad player. He can come in and do a lot more than simply 'a job'.
well said.
nice work TM :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts