1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I, on the other hand, hope he goes.

• He will get regular first team football
  • He is not united quality
  • His departure will open a spot for a youngster to fill
  • We could use the money from his departure to help fund our bid for a top striker... not that we desperately need the money.... but it would help
  • He is a loyal player, who loves United, but even with all his improvement, he is still just a mediocre player

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm not sure how many of you have seen the pre-season games, but it was quite eye-opening to see the youngsters playing alongside Darren Fletcher.

Now granted it was pre-season, but for crying out loud, the youngsters looked as capable as Fletcher and in Possebon's case have better first touch and ball control.

A point raised by versa is that Fletcher raises his game according to the opposition and this is definitely true. But what's the point of having a squad player who does a good job three to four times a season and in the rest of the games he's called upon does a decent job at best?

There's no point. In all the years of watching Fletcher, he has only managed to improve marginally and I'm certain he wouldn't have been this long at UNited if he weren't one of Fergie's faves.

John O'Shea always gives you a 7/10 performance, whether he's playing Roma or Derby. The same cannot be said of Fletcher. With Flethcer it can be 8/10 against Roma and the 6/10 or 5/10 against West Ham.

I like his character and personality, but contrary to what a few people are claiming he is NOT a good squad player, because of the point I've highlighted above. Perhaps he's a decent squad player.

Before you start getting out your knives, consider this: Cast a glance at Chelsea. Check out their squad and their squad players. Would Darren Fletcher have a place in that squad?!?!

The answer is no.

And Chelsea are our biggest rivals and we have to stay ahead of them. I truly believe that the current youngsters like Possebon and Eagles can be better than Fletcher if given the chance.

At the most, I'd keep Fletcher for one more season to have decent cover while the youngsters cut their teeth, BUT I would have no qualms if we sold him for a decent sum.

No qualms whatsoever.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I first read this and you changed my mind for a second lol...but Ill stick with the
Fletch posse. He deserves to be in the squad and play a role.
My writing in red below.

Great post though Rfr. I understand your views.

Man..... I'm so glad you disagree! What would the forum be like if we agreed on everything?! :)

Fletcher is the kind of player where it is quite reasonable to make a case for and against.

Anderson is streets ahead of him and Possebon will be there shortly.

He looks so comfortable with the ball and his touch, as well as passing probably has Darren casting a few envious glances.

As I said, I'd keep Fletcher at the club for another season till the young'uns mature and beef up a bit more, but then he has to go. For his sake alone.

He could get regular football at any of the clubs outside the top 4 or in Scotland and he should go. He might even become better with regular football.

Still, his first touch, as well as ball control aren't good enough for Manchester United!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fletcher is at united on borrowed time.

It's a matter of time, before Rodrigo Possebon shows everyone that he's better than Fletcher and then Fletcher can leave to Everton or Sunderland, because he IS NOT Man Utd quality.

His awareness is so poor. He does not know how much time he has on the ball and is constantly dispossed by opposing players.

His passing is sloppy - full stop. They hardly reach their target.

He is full of running and he tries, I will give him that, but it does not make sense to keep trying but not having the ability to make a difference in your position.

He scored two goals this season, one of which was a total deflection, but playing a central midfield position he offers nothing more than a body, who can be in the way of opposition attacks.

Hand on heart, how many good games can you remember Fletcher having?

I asked this question and CROoney answered with a handful of games.

Nah, I appreciate Fletcher's work ethic and that he doesn't mind being a squad player, but I think it's because he knows he can't be more than a squad player at Man Utd.

No one will be happier than me when Possebon develops proves his more deserving of playing than Fletcher.

Fletcher deserves first team football and Man Utd deserve a better squad player.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
RFR-So what do you make of Fletch's recent performances?
You have to admit that the lad has been very good recently. ;)

Erm ..... No, actualy they haveb't been very good.
He has been good (just). ;) and only in selected games.

He was good tonight, but poor against WBA
He gets disposessed easily, his long-range passing is attrocious, his short-range passing in 'safe' and unimaginative, he doesn't offer much in offensive terms.

Apart from scoring the goal and defending well he offered very little.
But judging from the team's over performance he didn't look out of place - I'm not sure that's compliment to him though.

He got in a couple of blocks and defended well, but his long-range passing never met the intended targets.

I am starting to see some value in having a squad player like Fletcher, but if I may - Chelsea still have a better squad and their squad players > Fletcher.

They went with a depleted squad to the Riverside and hammered Boro 5-0.

the only players we missed were Carrick and Anderson and we only managed a draw at an out-of-form Everton.

I have high hopes for Possebon and if he an play at prem level the way he plays for Reserves, i would have him start in front of Fletcher, because he is more mobile and can do what Fletcher does and then some more.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Keano! said:
Argueably the most improved player this season. Fact that Scholsey is out now
and Ronaldo and Carrick were out earier in the season, he got more game time
and has impressed A LOT!

Hope he can sustain a good run of form...

Well, I agree that he is the most improved player so far, but that doesn't mean he's very good. ;)

Still, I'm starting to see his worth. Needs to improve his passing and stop being dispossessed so easily.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fletcher's passing is atrocious. Anybody claiming otherwise is biased or watching through rose-tinted glasses.
However, the stats are there and something about the Carrick-Fletcher partnership is working a treat. Maybe it gives Carrick the confidence to go forward like he did during for the goal today.

It may not be beautiful, but it works and long may it continue!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
:D Nice to see you softening your approach on Fletcher and recognising the good he brings to the team ;)

I can change my stance on players when their performances warrant it. Brown won me over last season and Fletch is doing it now.

They're not great by any means, but they're moving up from not good enough to useful in my books. :)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
TheManc said:
He has good passing. Not great, but good.
He has brilliant workrate and is brilliant at harrassing opponents, which forces a mistake aswell as simply tackling his opponents.
His penetrating runs are his main improvement this year. He has caused opponents a lot of problems when charging into the box.
He's also a lot quicker than Neville or Butt were.

He has forged an excellent partnership with Carrick aswell, they compliment eachother greatly.

He's been our second best midfielder this season.

He is a very good squad player. He can come in and do a lot more than simply 'a job'.

Carrick and Giggs have been better than him this season, but you're not far off and his consistency means that he actually is ahead of Scholes and Anderson at the moment (shudder).

But let's keep t real people.

He struggles to complete passes - even short ones and his first touch is that of a donkey.

Having said that he has improved going forward and his positioning and marking are good, which makes him a good squad player (not very or great, just good) to have. Still, when Anderson, Gibson and POssebon kick on, they will all be ahead of Fletcher.

His footballing talent is limited.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts