• Keep Him-Squad players are important and he can still do a job

Votes: 92 78.6%
  • Let him Leave-For his own good. He isnt good enough for United

Votes: 25 21.4%
21 - 40 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
He's at his peak and is just scraping 20 games a season or there abouts, we should let him leave for his own good. He is a good player but he would benefit more by moving.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Isnt it great to have a player at his peak ready to step in and do the work when the boss calls for him? Do we always have to have kids > 20 in the squad and offload them as soon as they reach the peak and dont play 38 games in the league and every cup game unless they are injured or banned?

Strong teams got these team players like Fletcher, O'Shea and Park who let our greedy star and other star players to shine while they do the dirty work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am surprised this is even being asked. Okay, maybe Fletcher isn't exactly going to dazzle you with his sharp footwork or his goal scoring prowess but he does play a very important role in the team. Squad players are vital to all teams and Manchester United is no different. We need squad players to step up when we are going through a mini-injury crisis and Fletch isn't half as bad as most people make him out to be. I had my doubts about him too but after watching some of his performances last season when he had to set up in midfield changed my mind. Most notably, his performance against Arsenal in the FA Cup game was simply superb, he even chipped in with 2 goals and was excellent in midfield, winning the ball back and running tirelessly.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm not sure how many of you have seen the pre-season games, but it was quite eye-opening to see the youngsters playing alongside Darren Fletcher.

Now granted it was pre-season, but for crying out loud, the youngsters looked as capable as Fletcher and in Possebon's case have better first touch and ball control.

A point raised by versa is that Fletcher raises his game according to the opposition and this is definitely true. But what's the point of having a squad player who does a good job three to four times a season and in the rest of the games he's called upon does a decent job at best?

There's no point. In all the years of watching Fletcher, he has only managed to improve marginally and I'm certain he wouldn't have been this long at UNited if he weren't one of Fergie's faves.

John O'Shea always gives you a 7/10 performance, whether he's playing Roma or Derby. The same cannot be said of Fletcher. With Flethcer it can be 8/10 against Roma and the 6/10 or 5/10 against West Ham.

I like his character and personality, but contrary to what a few people are claiming he is NOT a good squad player, because of the point I've highlighted above. Perhaps he's a decent squad player.

Before you start getting out your knives, consider this: Cast a glance at Chelsea. Check out their squad and their squad players. Would Darren Fletcher have a place in that squad?!?!

The answer is no.

And Chelsea are our biggest rivals and we have to stay ahead of them. I truly believe that the current youngsters like Possebon and Eagles can be better than Fletcher if given the chance.

At the most, I'd keep Fletcher for one more season to have decent cover while the youngsters cut their teeth, BUT I would have no qualms if we sold him for a decent sum.

No qualms whatsoever.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Hell, get rid of him. Lets get rid of Park and O'Shea as well. I mean, squad players aren't important are they? :rolleyes:

But seriously, I can't see the problem that others have with him.

He, along with the likes of Park and O'Shea, are important cogs in the machine. He always performs to a good standard when he comes in (with only 1 or 2 bad games a season. I can only remember the West Ham game being a bad game from him) and is an important part of the squad.

Considering we usually play 4-3-3 away in the CL. That means we can play the 3 central midfielders, lets say Anderson, Scholes and Carrick, and then play the other two, Hargreaves and Fletcher in the league. (Not necessarily my personal preference. Its just a random choice)

Hes a good player and is certainly good enough to play for us.

I'm glad he has managed to turn the majority into the minority, and I hope he stays. Though if he does decide to go, I will understand why and wish him well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fletcher should stay as long as he wants to because he is a good squad player who always gives his best and will play wherever the gaffer tells him. Hes got Rooneys attitude, albeit with less anger.
His footballing ability is not enough though. I never feel he has the talents to win us a game. If we need someone to step up, it can never be Fletcher. He owes it to himself to seek first team football for his careers sake, but only if that is what he wishes.
Most players leave big clubs to seek regular football because they aim for international football etc, but Fletch is Scotland captain already. He plays a good amount of games per season and is a cog in a very good footballing machine.
If he is happy being part of our squad and can accept he will never be under the column "matchwinners", then long may he stay and do the job Sir Alex keeps him to do.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I first read this and you changed my mind for a second lol...but Ill stick with the
Fletch posse. He deserves to be in the squad and play a role.
My writing in red below.
RedForceRising said:
I'm not sure how many of you have seen the pre-season games, but it was quite eye-opening to see the youngsters playing alongside Darren Fletcher.

Now granted it was pre-season, but for crying out loud, the youngsters looked as capable as Fletcher and in Possebon's case have better first touch and ball control.
Fair point
A point raised by versa is that Fletcher raises his game according to the opposition and this is definitely true.
I dont think this is particularly true. He always puts the same effort into every game. Maybe its cos he plays so well against big teams that he gets this label and unjustly so. Not that thats a bad thing to be-a big match player. Thats why he is vital to our squad.But what's the point of having a squad player who does a good job three to four times a season and in the rest of the games he's called upon does a decent job at best? Cos he's a squad player. He isnt first 11 is Fletch. How many 'stars' would be happy with his role? Fletch never moans or gives out. He gets on with it by getting stuck in. He never lets the team down. Never

There's no point. In all the years of watching Fletcher, he has only managed to improve marginally and I'm certain he wouldn't have been this long at UNited if he weren't one of Fergie's faves. Fair point again. Its hard to argue with these points to be honest. Im in the 'Keep Fletch' camp but you do raise some valid criticisms. Your post nearly had me convinced lol :rolleyes: but Fletch has earned the right to be in the United squad. He's a fighter who we should appreciate more, especially when you have ****s like Ronaldo *****ing about the place.:rolleyes:

John O'Shea always gives you a 7/10 performance, whether he's playing Roma or Derby. The same cannot be said of Fletcher. With Flethcer it can be 8/10 against Roma and the 6/10 or 5/10 against West Ham.
hmmm I see the point you are trying to make but Fletch had a fair few 9's last season, as well as 8,7,6's. Id say he is consistent enough. Same level of consisency as the rest of the midfielders. All of them had lulls in form at some point. Every last one of them. So we need to allow for the odd '6' I think.
I like his character and personality, but contrary to what a few people are claiming he is NOT a good squad player, because of the point I've highlighted above. Perhaps he's a decent squad player.
Im glad you can appreciate some of his qualities but maybe you arent giving him his just rewards? Performances like against Arsenal were out of this world, Bryan Robson like even.
Before you start getting out your knives, consider this: Cast a glance at Chelsea. Check out their squad and their squad players. Would Darren Fletcher have a place in that squad?!?!

The answer is no.
I actually agree with you here. Mainly cos Chelsea have an obscene amount of quality midfielders :rolleyes: He would stroll into Pool or Arse's squad though.

And Chelsea are our biggest rivals and we have to stay ahead of them. I truly believe that the current youngsters like Possebon and Eagles can be better than Fletcher if given the chance.
Possebon I agree with ya there, but not Eagles. He is 22/23 and still not ready. He may score the odd goal in friendlies (and score some crackers in the reserves) but he gives the ball away FAR too much and hasnt taken his chances at all. Not United material imo.

At the most, I'd keep Fletcher for one more season to have decent cover while the youngsters cut their teeth, BUT I would have no qualms if we sold him for a decent sum.
Now your talking ;) I hope he sticks around for at least another season or 2 but as you said the young lads are getting ready. Anderson and Possebon will be ahead of him shortly, if not already.....
No qualms whatsoever.
Great post though Rfr. I understand your views.

abcdef said:
Fletcher should stay as long as he wants to because he is a good squad player who always gives his best and will play wherever the gaffer tells him. Hes got Rooneys attitude, albeit with less anger.
His footballing ability is not enough though. I never feel he has the talents to win us a game. If we need someone to step up, it can never be Fletcher. He owes it to himself to seek first team football for his careers sake, but only if that is what he wishes.
Most players leave big clubs to seek regular football because they aim for international football etc, but Fletch is Scotland captain already. He plays a good amount of games per season and is a cog in a very good footballing machine.
If he is happy being part of our squad and can accept he will never be under the column "matchwinners", then long may he stay and do the job Sir Alex keeps him to do.
Just saw this after... great post, great reasoning.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
He is a great player and furhtermore,a big game player.Look at the Fa cup match against arsenal last season.He pleaded to Sir Alex to start him in that match and sir aliex gave him the nod and look what happened.He scored two good goals and put in a magical performance.We should'nt sell him,it would be a waste

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
abcdef said:
I never feel he has the talents to win us a game. If we need someone to step up, it can never be Fletcher.
Fletcher will never and has never been a matchwinner.

But neither has and neither will Carrick. The likes of Carrick and Fletcher do the work that goes unnoticed. (I would also add Hargreaves but he takes some fantastic free-kicks and showed lately that when he plays on the right, be it at RB or on the Wing, he can produce a match-winning cross ;))

It is true that he hasn't been great in pre-season. But hes a CM who's been asked to play on the right-wing. He doesn't have the traits of a right winger. But he did set up Rooneys goal in the Aberdeen game. Lee Martin hasn't been great in pre-season either. The only thing hes done is score a goal. If he hadn't scored a goal, he would be slated as well. (Obviously not in this thread, :p but in another)

But saying that, remember the 06/07 season when he played against Liverpoo on the right and was fantastic?

He is good enough to play for us, and should be kept. But if he does want to go, then we should respect him enough to let him leave. I would understand why, thank him and wish him well.

abcdef said:
but Fletch is Scotland captain already.
Whats the obsession with everyone saying Fletcher is Scotland captain? Its not just ^ but a couple of people.

Fletcher SHOULD be Scotland captain but isn't. Barry Ferguson is Scotland captain, and Stephen McManus seems to be vice-captain ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
i think we should not sell him,He is a loyal player, who loves United..he just need some first team football to prove his worth!!!!!!

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
flashes of brilliance from the guy. noticably last season in FA Cup vs Arsenal

I think he has 1 good game in 3 and for United that aint good enough.

May need regular football to find any form but I feel there are too many United players who you would have in your side before Fletcher to include him.

It would be a great shame as I think he is a great example of a professional footballer. He hasnt gone to press complaining bout his lack of first team opportunities.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Keep Fletch.

While he might not be a world beater he is certainly a good squad player for us. Players like Fletch, O'Shea, Park etc. are all needed because they are good for the depth of our squad.

Fletch can play right and centre midfield, as well as fill in at right back. He's always got a tremendous amount of energy that he brings to the team whenever he is called upon. He's the type of player that will not give up and will run for 90 minutes and give his all.

He always seems to turn up for the big games and isn't phased by big name oponents. He also seems to me the type of player you can just throw into a game even if he hasn't played for a while and he will give you a good game.

He's not the most skillful or technically gifted player to pull on a United shirt, but his work rate and attutide to being a United player make him a good squad player in my view. I think it will be up to Darren if he wants to move on and play regular first team football week in week out, or stay at United and be prepared to play in some games but have to sit others out.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
32-13 for Fletch to stay. Nice to see a lot of people have the faith (whether it is
blind or not remains to be seen)...but you have all made good posts/points
on the subject so thanks.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I, on the other hand, hope he goes.
  • He will get regular first team football
  • He is not united quality
  • His departure will open a spot for a youngster to fill
  • We could use the money from his departure to help fund our bid for a top striker... not that we desperately need the money.... but it would help
  • He is a loyal player, who loves United, but even with all his improvement, he is still just a mediocre player
RFR just read my mind exact word for word!

I think he should go to say a club like Everton or Celtic or Rangers which are quite good and where he can get first team action and play basically each game. He deserves to play regularly but unfortunately he is not United first team regular quality but just as a back up. He is a loyal player who never complains and I love him for that but he could make room for my new fav reserve player Possebon and even Eagles :)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Him and J O'Shea are more than happy with their 40 odd k a week, hot girlfriends, and winners medals coming out of their ... they're both good enough for their national teams despite being squad players, they have no need to leave!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
What the hell is with some of you? Its not football manager :rolleyes: As long as Fletch is happy with his role as a squad player we should hold onto him. Our stars are not going to play every match, and you have to have some quality back-up players to fill in. Think the Arsenal game should he was capable.

However if he wants regular action, then sell him.

·
Stretford Ender
2,270 Posts
Cappy said:
What the hell is with some of you? Its not football manager :rolleyes: As long as Fletch is happy with his role as a squad player we should hold onto him. Our stars are not going to play every match, and you have to have some quality back-up players to fill in. Think the Arsenal game should he was capable.

However if he wants regular action, then sell him.
rank him then in order of getting a game for our current midfielders.

21 - 40 of 160 Posts