Votes: 92 78.6%
  • Let him Leave-For his own good. He isnt good enough for United

Votes: 25 21.4%
41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
I first read this and you changed my mind for a second lol...but Ill stick with the
Fletch posse. He deserves to be in the squad and play a role.
My writing in red below.

Great post though Rfr. I understand your views.

Man..... I'm so glad you disagree! What would the forum be like if we agreed on everything?! :)

Fletcher is the kind of player where it is quite reasonable to make a case for and against.

Anderson is streets ahead of him and Possebon will be there shortly.

He looks so comfortable with the ball and his touch, as well as passing probably has Darren casting a few envious glances.

As I said, I'd keep Fletcher at the club for another season till the young'uns mature and beef up a bit more, but then he has to go. For his sake alone.

He could get regular football at any of the clubs outside the top 4 or in Scotland and he should go. He might even become better with regular football.

Still, his first touch, as well as ball control aren't good enough for Manchester United!

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
He will always be a fringe player at united , he would be better off leaving and take o shea with him.
I do not normally give too many players stick , but these two are not united quality and there are better reserves coming through behind them

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
i love flecher and he loves united
if he wants to stay why should we force him out the door
i hope hes here for many mor years also

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Every successful side needs the mix of flair and workers, Fletcher and O'shea are the workers in the squad, Ronaldo Rooney and Tevez are the flair players. People need to understand the game a little better, yes he may not be the most talented player in the squad, but when he's called upon he never lets us down. He always plays well in the big games unlike some of the favoured flair players ... the boy should be respected a little more, it's very easy to tell which fans go and watch United to those who just come on this site because we're the most famous club in the world, Fergie values these players as much as he does our top goal scorer or our captain, everyone has a role to play otherwise they wouldnt be at United.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
i agree you need flair and workers , but come on do you really think they are united class even as workers i dont think so , the reserves are showing more promise

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I really got ticked off when Park (who imo is even a harder worker than Fletcher) got dropped thanks to Fletcher in the CL final. Park had played in all games in the knock out stages whereas good old Fletcher was injured and only came back to fitness few weeks ago. I really love Park and in this case it is Fletcher who is stopping him from playing so I say out with Fletcher! lol

·
Banned
83 Posts
he's a good player, maybe not the same class as hargo but good enough for me
as a supporting player , because not every team has the same class as MAN UTD in the premier league ,he can play major roles in matches against low teams EXAMPLE: Hmm ARSENAL!!!! and if he don't want to go why force him as we did with eagles !!!!!!!!!! who will be in a premier league club for the 2009/2008 season!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
23,699 Posts
Not quite kiss and tell, but the often 'misunderstood' Fletcher bares his soul...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ited/s/1061344_fletcher_scotches_fergie_jibes

Fletcher scotches Fergie jibes

DARREN Fletcher has revealed the jibes he has had to put up with since emerging at United.

The Scotland international, who has been linked with moves to a host of clubs this summer, admits there are those who still doubt he has the ability to make it at Old Trafford.

Midfielder Fletcher has had to endure constant accusations that he enjoys preferential treatment from manager Sir Alex Ferguson because they are compatriots.

But he insists it is his ability alone that has kept him at United since making his first-team debut in 2003.

"He gets called my dad, my granddad, you name it," said Fletcher. "I get it all the time and I'm sure people think that's why I'm in the team.

"I've been there since I was 12 and maybe he took a special interest because I was Scottish. But I know when I signed it didn't matter if you were Scottish, Norwegian or whatever. If you are not good enough, you won't get in the team.

"I've been in the youth team with a lot of Scottish players. A lot of Scottish players have been there and I don't think the manager would have had the success he's had if he only wanted Scottish players in his team.

"I get a lot of people saying I'm only picked because I'm Scottish and that's fine. It's water off a duck's back. People will say what they want, there is nothing you can do about that."

Fletcher has been linked with moves to Everton, Sunderland and Birmingham since the end of last season, but Ferguson has given no indication that he is prepared let the 24-year-old leave Old Trafford.

The United manager has always thought highly of the midfielder, famously inviting him and his parents to his home as a youngster when trying to convince him that he had a future at the club.

And despite facing stiff competition from Paul Scholes, Michael Carrick, Owen Hargreaves and Anderson in midfield, Fletcher still played in important matches last season such as the crunch title match against Chelsea and the Champions League semi-final second leg against Barcelona.

Fletcher admits he has a strong relationship with Ferguson, but no more so than any other of his teammates.

"We can talk about Scottish football, but at the same time he's talking to Ronaldo and Nani about the Portuguese game," he said.

"He loves his football that much that he goes home and watches all these games. He will talk to me about Celtic and Rangers and the Scotland game, but at the same time he will talk about Sporting Lisbon's game.

"You can say what you want. I never came to Manchester United because Alex Ferguson is Scottish.

"I came to Manchester United because they were the best team in the Premier League and Alex Ferguson was the best manager.

"You want to learn from the best and if I didn't achieve it here I always said I could say I gave my best and if I came up short then fine."

Should Fletcher decide to move on there will be no shortage of takers with Roy Keane and David Moyes just two of his admirers.

And while former teammate Gerard Pique recently suggested Fletcher would have to leave United to further his career, for now he insists he is relishing the challenge at the Premier League and European champions.

"There is competition for places, which drives you on, but until you are at the stage when you are not needed, then you have to move on," he said. "I've not felt like that, but who knows what the future holds or when your time is up at United.

"The manager decides that or if you feel you are not helping the team or playing enough games and then it is time to go.

"But until that time comes I'm going to work hard and take every disappointment and use it as a fuel to get into the team."

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
"He gets called my dad, my granddad, you name it," said Fletcher. "I get it all the time and I'm sure people think that's why I'm in the team.
lmao this is exactly what i think along with the rest of us around me in the stretty

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Drew9 said:
Every successful side needs the mix of flair and workers, Fletcher and O'shea are the workers in the squad, Ronaldo Rooney and Tevez are the flair players. People need to understand the game a little better, yes he may not be the most talented player in the squad, but when he's called upon he never lets us down. He always plays well in the big games unlike some of the favoured flair players ... the boy should be respected a little more, it's very easy to tell which fans go and watch United to those who just come on this site because we're the most famous club in the world, Fergie values these players as much as he does our top goal scorer or our captain, everyone has a role to play otherwise they wouldnt be at United.
Great post. I agree with every word.

·
Registered
133 Posts
manutd004 said:
Great post. I agree with every word.

+++++

i have to aggree with you guys! he and oshea and some other players keep a low-profile but they still can do the job! if we couldnt have them on our bench we would have ended up like real madrid who always buy great players with great contracts and they achieve nothing at all as a team!!!

manchester united by definition love football[as Sir Matt said about 50 years ago!] and sir alex keeps it alive!!!! so fletcher MUST stay!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
antdevil78 said:
rank him then in order of getting a game for our current midfielders.
You know what is funny, I would put him at the bottom of all choices, but you know what, he is OK with it and you need players like that in the squad. Not only does he get shuffled into all midfield positions, I wouldn't have a problem seeing him as cover for the defense as well.

I mean, lets break down the Center Mid. You have Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves, and Anderson. Scholes is getting older and obviously needs more breaks to stay fresher. Hargreaves is still struggling with his tendinitis so you never know when he might miss a game. With Anderson's star exploding, he is playing that many more games for the Brazilian National Teams, both U23 and the Senior Teams so possibility of him getting injured increases. Carrick's form dropped a bit last year during the late winter, from I feel being overworked. You are going to tell me that it isn't somewhat refreshing knowing that we have Fletcher ready to go when you are competing for all our different trophies.

Also, with his versatility, I don't think we could get enough money to justify a transfer for him. For someone who can play almost anywhere other than up top or goalie.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Fletcher - No need to leave

Darren Fletcher has reiterated his belief that he does not need to leave Manchester United to further his career.

The hard-working midfielder has never truly established himself as a first-team regular at United and started only five games in the Premier League last season.

His former United team-mate Gerard Pique, who recently joined Barcelona, says Fletcher should quit Old Trafford in order to progress.

But the 24-year-old Scot admits that, until he is told he is not wanted, he is happy to be playing for the Premier League champions.
Work hard

"There is competition for places, which drives you on, but until you are at the stage when you are not needed, then you have to move on," Fletcher told the Manchester Evening News.

"I've not felt like that, but who knows what the future holds or when your time is up at United.

"The manager decides that or if you feel you are not helping the team or playing enough games and then it is time to go.

"But until that time comes I'm going to work hard and take every disappointment and use it as a fuel to get into the team."-Skysports

·
23,699 Posts
According to MEN, Everton is still keen to land Fletcher for 7m. United is understood to be ready to do business but not until current injury crisis is over.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Fletcher has a great attitude. He is a workaholic and gives you legs in the midfield. However, he is simply not good enough to put on a Utd shirt. He has got away with playing for Utd for years being Fergie's blue eyed boy but I hope he has finally realised that Fletcher is not good enough. Had another Manager been at OT he would have been released a long time ago!

Fletcher will do really well in a team like Everton or Blackburn something of that magnitude.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Decent player with a good attitude and work ethic.

Would be delighted to see him at Newcastle, we will happily take O'Shea off your hands as well. Perhaps a deal seeing Shola go the other way to ease your striker problems. :)

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
MUFC1958 said:
Fletcher has a great attitude. He is a workaholic and gives you legs in the midfield. However, he is simply not good enough to put on a Utd shirt. He has got away with playing for Utd for years being Fergie's blue eyed boy but I hope he has finally realised that Fletcher is not good enough. Had another Manager been at OT he would have been released a long time ago!
But if it had been another Manager at United, would we have had such a wonderful form the past 20 years? Maybe Fergie knows something about the players he wants.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
I think we should keep him for 1 more season. Next summer we could let him go and promote Rodrigo Possebon to his position.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
I can understand that, but his experience is nice as well, and he can fit in many positions. He just gets slighted cause he is a "Jack of all trades, and master of none."

41 - 60 of 160 Posts