• Let him Leave-For his own good. He isnt good enough for United

Votes: 25 21.4%
101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
moondog said:
OK, I will say this again - WTF? :confused:

Four of the five MFs you cite are now INJURED. It is for this reason that we need someone like Fletch. He is prepared (and probably at the right talent level) to accept his role as a part time player and not want more.

We absolutely need bit part players like Fletch. Not everyone on our roster has to be a superstar.
thats exactly the thing ive been saying... also include park, o shea, TK etc..good solid players who are willing to know they aren't gonna be the stars of the show but are willing to accept less playing time...with trophies at the end of it...and i don't remeber any of them letting us down spectacularly. you cant have a squad of 32 superstars, its just doesn't.

suits them and its suits us.everyones a winner

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
RFR-So what do you make of Fletch's recent performances?
You have to admit that the lad has been very good recently. ;)

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Actually he hasn't, 3 goals means nothing when your doing nothing productive in midfield and leaving us short

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
NoxiousD said:
Actually he hasn't, 3 goals means nothing when your doing nothing productive in midfield and leaving us short
My point is, is that he is doing a job in the middle of the park.
(check last Motm poll)
and we need to fair when we judge him. We cant only point out his deficiencies
as a player. He may not be as talented as a lot of the other midfielders but he
makes up for it with effort and good performances.

Personally I think he is just a squad player, but one that I appreciated having at
our club. These kind of guys (like OShea) need to be commended instead of
bashed. I just think RFR's view on him is a bit harsh. He makes out that my nan is a better footballer.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Jazz 16 said:

Erm ..... No, actualy they haveb't been very good.
He has been good (just). ;) and only in selected games.

He was good tonight, but poor against WBA
He gets disposessed easily, his long-range passing is attrocious, his short-range passing in 'safe' and unimaginative, he doesn't offer much in offensive terms.

Apart from scoring the goal and defending well he offered very little.
But judging from the team's over performance he didn't look out of place - I'm not sure that's compliment to him though.

He got in a couple of blocks and defended well, but his long-range passing never met the intended targets.

I am starting to see some value in having a squad player like Fletcher, but if I may - Chelsea still have a better squad and their squad players > Fletcher.

They went with a depleted squad to the Riverside and hammered Boro 5-0.

the only players we missed were Carrick and Anderson and we only managed a draw at an out-of-form Everton.

I have high hopes for Possebon and if he an play at prem level the way he plays for Reserves, i would have him start in front of Fletcher, because he is more mobile and can do what Fletcher does and then some more.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Like i have said before i have changed my mind on fletch a bit , he has been okay .
But i cannot wait till all our players are fully fit and he is relegated to being a good squad player again.
Me personally i do not think hard work alone is enough to cut it at united you need to offer a bit more, i like the look of possebon who looks more of a united midfielder than fletch.
Its all about opinions and i have always maintained fletcher was not united class , but i have had to give him credit he has been one of our best and most consistant players this season

·
Registered
216 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Nothing strange really!!only perfoming like that once in a blue moon?what we expect is consistence play.to me he has proven nothing.also i pray that maybe that goal would attract more buyers in january,how do you reckon that? GREATTTTT:D :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
If he wants first team football, selling him would be a win win situation for both...
I can't see him playing regularly in the team, only if we are in contention for all cups, the I see him essential for players rotation...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Fletcher flattered by Fergie words

Darren Fletcher has admitted he is embarrassed at the high praise afforded to him by Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Although the Red Devils were forced to wait until the last minutes of transfer deadline day before snaring Dimitar Berbatov, and it needed an unscheduled trip to Portugal to persuade Cristiano Ronaldo to stay, Ferguson claimed the biggest relief he felt this summer was when Fletcher signed a new four-year contract.

The Scot's reasoning was, as a one-club man, foot soldiers like Fletcher are an essential component of United's quest for glory.

Yet the praise does not sit easily with the midfielder, who skippered Scotland for the first time against Norway earlier this month.

"I feel slightly embarrassed," said Fletcher.

"From what I have seen, signing Dimitar Berbatov looks like a good piece of business and Ronaldo is still here.

"But the manager made me feel wanted and said I was a big part of the team. It was the reassurance I needed, so I was happy to sign the contract."

Fletcher has been handsomely rewarded and, partly due to a spate of midfield injuries, the 24-year-old will make his 10th appearance of the season tonight if he faces West Ham at Old Trafford.

It is not a bad return for the end of October, especially as he was only involved on 24 occasions during the whole of last term.

Although he did have a couple of spells out because of injury, Fletcher's lack of action alerted rival clubs, leaving the player well aware he would be a man in demand if he did decide to leave.

However, having seen Nicky Butt and Phil Neville depart in similar circumstances, with mixed results, Fletcher opted against making a move.

"You have to think of the consequences before you leave here because there is no place like Manchester United," he said.

"A lot of people told me but I have also seen it first hand.

"The decision to leave would be massive. Thankfully, it has not come to that.

"I feel as though I am part of the team and am doing my bit to help achieve success. As long as that continues I am happy to be here. The day I feel I am not contributing as much as I can, it might be time to move on."

Fletcher is expected to keep his place tonight even though Michael Carrick has returned to training after an ankle injury.

With a home game against Hull looming on Saturday, Ferguson may opt to put Carrick on the bench, where Ryan Giggs may also find himself after starting Saturday's disappointing draw at Everton.

Ferguson must resolve the usual right-back conundrum, with Wes Brown, Gary Neville and Rafael da Silva all vying for selection, while the United boss must be tempted to recall Carlos Tevez given the number of chances his side frittered away at Goodison Park.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1765_4425188,00.html

...Although the Red Devils were forced to wait until the last minutes of transfer deadline day before snaring Dimitar Berbatov, and it needed an unscheduled trip to Portugal to persuade Cristiano Ronaldo to stay, Ferguson claimed the biggest relief he felt this summer was when Fletcher signed a new four-year contract. ...
..."The Scot's reasoning was, as a one-club man, foot soldiers like Fletcher are an essential component of United's quest for glory. "..

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_4424622,00.html

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Fletcher Wanted To Quit
Sir Alex Ferguson had to talk midfielder Darren Fletcher out of quitting Manchester United. Fletcher, 24, has been one of the Red Devils’ unsung heroes over the last year. But the Scotland captain still felt he was not getting enough football, despite coming up through the Old Trafford ranks as a trainee, and was ready to move in the summer. Ferguson said: “Fletcher signing a new contract has probably been the relief of the season for us because there were a lot of clubs trying to buy him. He had just one year left on his deal and he wanted more football than he got last season. I said to him ‘Look, you were brought up at this club, you’ve got to recognise we played you in all the big games last season until you got injured in February’. That injury kept him out for four or five weeks but he then came back and played in some more big ones, Chelsea away and Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final at home. Darren played in all the big games and I think that convinced him to stay. Now, with the injuries we’ve had, we’re seeing he’s such an important player for us. He’s developing and improving his game and taking it to a new level.”
Neil Custis, The Sun

While Fletcher has committed his future to the Reds, two United fringe players have been linked with moves away. The Daily Mirror claims Tottenham will try to sign Ben Foster on loan for the remainder of the season, while West Brom are apparently mulling over a move for Manucho.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,076 Posts
Despite months of fighting to get Dimitar Berbatov and to avoid losing Cristiano Ronaldo, Sir Alex thinks his greatest feat of the summer was keeping Darren Fletcher at the club.

There are United fans who still don't know what a useful player Fletcher is and keep on slagging him off but for most of us, those who actually watch the games, he's been a revelation this season. So I, for one, am glad he stayed.

'Fletcher signing a new contract has probably been the relief of the season for us because there were a lot of clubs trying to buy him,' Sir Alex said..

'He had just one year left on his deal and he wanted more football than he got last season.

'I said to him 'Look, you were brought up at this club, you've got to recognise we played you in all the big games last season until you got injured in February'.

'That injury kept him out for four or five weeks but he then came back and played in some more big ones, Chelsea away and Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final at home.

'Darren played in all the big games and I think that convinced him to stay.

'Now, with the injuries we've had, we're seeing he's such an important player for us. He's developing and improving his game and taking it to a new level.'

hrm,hrm

:p

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
Fletcher is probably our stand out player so far this season.
He is most definitely in Fergie's plans and he is pushing for a regular spot in every game.
What say you now RFR? Do you like him now? Is he doing the business? ;-)

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
Great player for United, ****s up but comes up with the goods more than not. Hard worker and is/was the captain of his country at 23.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Argueably the most improved player this season. Fact that Scholsey is out now
and Ronaldo and Carrick were out earier in the season, he got more game time
and has impressed A LOT!

Hope he can sustain a good run of form...

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
fletchinho said:
Definitely our best player this season
welcome to the forum darren . i reckon you are a much improved player and well worthy of your shirt at the biggest club in the world ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Keano! said:
Argueably the most improved player this season. Fact that Scholsey is out now
and Ronaldo and Carrick were out earier in the season, he got more game time
and has impressed A LOT!

Hope he can sustain a good run of form...

Well, I agree that he is the most improved player so far, but that doesn't mean he's very good. ;)

Still, I'm starting to see his worth. Needs to improve his passing and stop being dispossessed so easily.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts