Votes: 92 78.6%
  • Let him Leave-For his own good. He isnt good enough for United

Votes: 25 21.4%
141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Fair enough ReddestFront, its your opinion.

but can I ask.... has your opinion of him not changed even a little bit this season?
I mean, he is having a decent season right? few goals, more games and he has
bulked up a bit also. Can you not give him even a bit of credit?
Surely he is worthy of a place in our squad?
What makes him worthy of his place? Workrate? I don't see Nicky Butt or Pele Neville at the club any more, and they were both better than him with the same workrate. What makes him decent? His passing? He passes the ball back to whoever gave it to him more often than not. Great pass through to Welbeck at Derby, but before that he'd done nothing but his usual headless chicken impression? Goals? He scored a cracking goal at Everton way back in October, but Japan aside he hasn't scored since, despite having 2 good chances at Derby, the second of which was a sitter with the 'keeper already on the ground.

Everything about him screams 'average' to me. And 'average' isn't good enough, sorry.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
ReddestFront said:
What makes him worthy of his place? Workrate? I don't see Nicky Butt or Pele Neville at the club any more, and they were both better than him with the same workrate. What makes him decent? His passing? He passes the ball back to whoever gave it to him more often than not. Great pass through to Welbeck at Derby, but before that he'd done nothing but his usual headless chicken impression? Goals? He scored a cracking goal at Everton way back in October, but Japan aside he hasn't scored since, despite having 2 good chances at Derby, the second of which was a sitter with the 'keeper already on the ground.

Everything about him screams 'average' to me. And 'average' isn't good enough, sorry.
He has good passing. Not great, but good.
He has brilliant workrate and is brilliant at harrassing opponents, which forces a mistake aswell as simply tackling his opponents.
His penetrating runs are his main improvement this year. He has caused opponents a lot of problems when charging into the box.
He's also a lot quicker than Neville or Butt were.

He has forged an excellent partnership with Carrick aswell, they compliment eachother greatly.

He's been our second best midfielder this season.

He is a very good squad player. He can come in and do a lot more than simply 'a job'.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
TheManc said:
He has brilliant workrate and is brilliant at harrassing opponents, which forces a mistake aswell as simply tackling his opponents.
His penetrating runs are his main improvement this year. He has caused opponents a lot of problems when charging into the box.

He has forged an excellent partnership with Carrick aswell, they compliment eachother greatly.

He is a very good squad player. He can come in and do a lot more than simply 'a job'.
well said.
nice work TM :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
TheManc said:

I couldn't disagree more, but there you go, diff'rent strokes and all that.

I will comment on his tackling, he doesn't tackle, he usually arrives at the opposition player just as the ball is leaving. 'Penetrating runs'? That can only come from the interview he gave a couple of weeks ago, because I've seen no end result from these runs on the rare occasion he's made them.

But, as I say, our opinions are just that, opinions and we're poles apart.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
TheManc said:

Carrick and Giggs have been better than him this season, but you're not far off and his consistency means that he actually is ahead of Scholes and Anderson at the moment (shudder).

But let's keep t real people.

He struggles to complete passes - even short ones and his first touch is that of a donkey.

Having said that he has improved going forward and his positioning and marking are good, which makes him a good squad player (not very or great, just good) to have. Still, when Anderson, Gibson and POssebon kick on, they will all be ahead of Fletcher.

His footballing talent is limited.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Carrick and Giggs have been better than him this season, but you're not far off and his consistency means that he actually is ahead of Scholes and Anderson at the moment (shudder).

But let's keep t real people.

He struggles to complete passes - even short ones and his first touch is that of a donkey.

Having said that he has improved going forward and his positioning and marking are good, which makes him a good squad player (not very or great, just good) to have. Still, when Anderson, Gibson and POssebon kick on, they will all be ahead of Fletcher.

His footballing talent is limited.
Ah yeah, I forgot about him. He's been immense, so Fletcher's been 3rd best (which also means 3rd worst, which doesn't exactly help my arguement :rolleyes: )

Until Sunday I was 100% sure that Gibson would not make it, though his performance has given me food for thought so to speak)

Possebon I;m worried about. Since his injury he's been average at best in the reserves. Fergie seems to think so aswell as Gibson seems to have overtaken him.

I think Fletcher is a brilliant (yes, brilliant) squad player to have. Unlike some of our other squad players, when he comes in he actually leaves you thinking "Fletcher played quite well today" .

He's not a Carrick or a Scholes, so he's not gonna hit those 30 yard passes, or those cute through balls.

He's not an Anderson either who, last season atleast, would burst forward and shrug off opponents.

He's his own player and has a bit of everyone so to speak. I would say a jack of all trades, who's very good at certain things, as opposed to one who's a master of none.

He also has a big game mentality, which people underate. He's certainly impressed in more big games than Carrick has, even though he is an inferior player.

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Fletcher - Talk is cheap

Darren Fletcher believes Manchester United's players will be 'desperate' to prove their recent setbacks are only a blip upon the return from international duty.

United's lead at the top of the Premier League table has been whittled down to just one point following back-to-back defeats by Liverpool and Fulham.

The reigning champions still have a game in hand over their title rivals, but Fletcher is disappointed there is not an immediate chance to respond to the successive losses.

The international break means United must wait until Sunday 5th April before their next game against Aston Villa, with Fletcher currently preparing for Scotland's World Cup qualifiers against Holland and Iceland.

Fletcher admits it is easy to talk about bouncing back to form, but wants the United players to prove their intentions on the pitch.
Easy to talk

"We would have liked another game straight away to respond to a couple of difficult games, which are hopefully just a setback," said Fletcher on Sky Sports News.

"It's easy to talk about it, but you've got to go out on to the pitch and prove it is only a setback.

"We would have been desperate for another league game, but unfortunately the internationals have come about.

"Liverpool would have been wanting the league to continue really and not wanting the international break, so you never know, it might be something that we just have to deal with.

"I'm sure we'll be back to winning ways, we've got to be."

He added: "It's easy for me to say it's only a blip, but we've got to go out on to the park and show it's only a blip.

"I think it's easy talking about it, it's hard to go and do it. We'll all be desperate to go out and show when we get back that it is only a blip.

"As I say, it's easier talking than it is to go and produce results."

Sky Sports | Football | News | Fletcher - Talk is cheap

·
Registered
238 Posts
yh i thought that they would respond against fulham but ino what happond there.

but if we thrash villa were back on course and everyone will be happy

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
I`m going to quote Inside United, the 07/08 Premier League Winners edition .. This paragraph will say what i exactly think of him;

Many a big-name player has been accused of not being at their best in the major clashes against top-class opposition. But United`s Scottish midfielder tussler, Darren Fletcher sometimes seems to represent precisely the reverse of that phenomenon. Despite being one of the lesser-celebrated members of United's squad, in the big games he has an admirable habit of producing colossal performances and putting the more illustrious names in the shade.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Not ever been one of his greatest fans , but i have to admit in the big games he has never let us down , he would probably get into most premier league teams bar the top four.
like i said never rated him but fair play to him he has proved his worth

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Was brilliant again today.

For me this is his greatest season. He must play against Arsenal.
agreed with ya mate, darren is one of the modest players united have, he dont complian bout a thing, he does what hes told and he does a gud job of it too, played well tonite, hes another johnny o shea, hes versatile, but simple as, if saf though flecth wasnt gud enough for united hed sell em, saf likes him and john o shea and wes cause they can play in many postions, hes gud to have in the squad, and this year is his best season by far...

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Was brilliant again today.

For me this is his greatest season. He must play against Arsenal.
He was our top scorer early on in the league campaign..!:D
But yeah it's definately his best season so far..
He did well tonight aswell and if O'Shea and Neville are out for a few weeks he'll have no problem in filling into that right back spot too..!

I wouldn't say he MUST play against Arsenal, but he's definately in with a good shout..!;)

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
And people laughed at me when I said Fletch was one of my favourite players in my first post :whistling:

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Wouldn't even exchange him for anyone on top form,
and i am not exaggerating in any way. The bond we
have with him goes a long way from urging him to leave
OT. Knowing that he will never get the praise players like
Ronaldo and Vidic get, but he keeps on doing great
work without expecting anything.

That's a definition of loyalty, and for that only he should be kept here because when one is loyal, you would only want your team to do best, so you work hard and that surely reflects in Darren himself.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
The poll says he's a squad player but i think he's more than that. He's not just a player who can filll in when others are out or need a rest. There are games where you would start Fletcher on merit especially in games that are going to be tight. The lads a very capable footballer. More than some people give him credit for. He does a lot of the work in midfield that is not exactly eye catching but is nessessary for the team to suceed.

141 - 160 of 160 Posts