Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier in the season Fletch was brilliant for us. His passing was good, he scored some vital goals and a lot of our good attacking play was started by him or went through him.

Over the last few weeks, maybe even stretching over a month now, his form has dropped. He's no longer influencing games like he did earlier in the season and his passing has become erratic.

Are there any obvious reasons for this? Fatigue? Does he play better with a certain partner in midfield? Has he become complacent?

Any ideas?

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Well, have to agree. He was invisible today. It`s just a patch every player goes through, i`m sure we`ll see the best of him soon when he realizes what the problem is and sorts it out :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
wasnt at his best tonight agreed, but thought he had good game in san siro. would the break in at his house have anything to do with it

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Today Carrick played well whilst Fletcher struggled. However, against Inter last week it was the reverse. Carrick didn't have the best of games and Fletcher played very well imo.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Well, have to agree. He was invisible today. It`s just a patch every player goes through, i`m sure we`ll see the best of him soon when he realizes what the problem is and sorts it out :thumbsup:
He wasn't invisible. I could handle invisible because that would mean that the other players realized not to give him the ball. He was more a black hole than invisible tonight in that we always lost possession when it came to him.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Pressure
When he played well there was injuries and lack of form to players like Ando and Scholes, so he might have had the free mind to play his own game. Now Scholes an Giggs are playing vintage stuff and the surprise form of Gibson maybe getting to his head and wrecking his form.

Thats all i can think of........... but i agree Zuco, he's been poor lately!!!1

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wasnt at his best tonight agreed, but thought he had good game in san siro. would the break in at his house have anything to do with it
That could explain his performance tonight, but this isn't a knee-jerk thread, I'm talking about his performances over the last month or so. While I wouldn't go as far as saying he's been crap, he's certainly not performing like he was in the early stages of the season. We don't see him making incisive passes or making well timed runs into the box anymore. I'd like to see the Fletch from early season more often.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
earlier in the season he seemed so brilliant cos everybody else sucked then.
just think he had a bad day now, thats it.

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pressure
When he played well there was injuries and lack of form to players like Ando and Scholes, so he might have had the free mind to play his own game. Now Scholes an Giggs are playing vintage stuff and the surprise form of Gibson maybe getting to his head and wrecking his form.

Thats all i can think of........... but i agree Zuco, he's been poor lately!!!1
I've always thought of Fletcher as a player that thrives under pressure. He always seems to get the nod for the big games and some of his best performances have been against great teams.

You could be right though, maybe this is a different kind of pressure and he's scared of losing his place in the team.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think he's just going through a bad patch tbh. Every players goes through one at some point in the season (unless they're exceptional.) He made one run into the box tonight, but the ball in wasn't great. But I think his form will pick up again.

He did play very well against Inter in the San Siro though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
That could explain his performance tonight, but this isn't a knee-jerk thread, I'm talking about his performances over the last month or so. While I wouldn't go as far as saying he's been crap, he's certainly not performing like he was in the early stages of the season. We don't see him making incisive passes or making well timed runs into the box anymore. I'd like to see the Fletch from early season more often.
i get ya. couldnt be fatigued, he gets a rest every so often. id go with whats been said prev just a dip in form. we will see mid week against inter or against pool saturday. a good strong showing in one of those games will ease the concerns

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If i remember right he was the same last season as well.
Should nickname him tortoise, likes to hibernate for a couple
of months in the winter. :D

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
the crazy thing about fletcher is if utd play top opponents you can put fletcher in the team to stop certain players and he will do a very good job but against weaker opponents when we expect something from fletcher he delivers very little . i guess he is a big game player that will do all the donkey work but won't take the starring role if that makes any sense .

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I had to piss before the game, and thus missed the starting lineups. I didn't even know he was playing until the start of the 2nd half. That's how invisible he was. I never really thought he was much good anyway, he never did anything for me. Whoever he's partnered with usually has to sit deeper since he loses the ball so much. I'll admit he started off great, but this is the normal Fletch to me.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm sure, if I had started this match, it would have been labeled slamming.

Come on, people!!!

It's Darren "Fergie's love child" Fletcher. He has been overperforming this season and is now coming down to his usual mediocre level.

Absolutely no surprise for me and not worthy of it's own thread.

Same old Fletcher.. still a good squad player though.
Can't pass to save his fiancee's life, but still useful.

Also retains possession poorly, and has zero awareness...but now I'm really nit-picking. ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I hope some quotes of my previous statements about Fletcher can put this player into proper perspective. :)

Manchester United Forums > Football Discussion Forum > Transfer Talk > Wigan want Fletcher....

LONG LIVE WIGAN!

May God bless Steve Bruce. If they don't put up a fight, I suggest that we let them have Fletcher for free!
Manchester United Forums > Football Discussion Forum > Man Utd Chat > Does anyone think darren fletcher is any good?

Is this a serious thread? Fletcher is a squad player at most. He has swayed my opinion a bit with his performances last season, but i'm very glad he's got Carrick, Hargreaves, Giggs, Scholes, Nani, Anderson, ronaldo and even o'Shea in front of him.

.....actually if it were up to me, i'd put Gibson and Martin before him in the pecking order too....

Manchester United Forums > Football Discussion Forum > Man Utd Chat > fletcher is a legend!!!!!

Even though football is a team sport, individual mistakes or poor performances can cost a team points.

In the case of Darren Fletcher, he always tries his best and sometimes even comes up with a match-winner, but on a lot of occasions his talent has simply not been good enough. He doesn't have a very good touch, his passes very often don't find their target, he's not quick be prem standards and his crosses are quite average too. So really, all he brings to the team is industry, but look at our main rivals, Chelsea and all of their midfielders are easily better than Darren Fletcher.

Also, your opening statement is not necessarily true. Fletcher outperforms his team mates a few times a season, but otherwise he is very, very average and if he were not one of Fergie's favourites, he would have been long gone.

Out of interest, which games has he outperformed his team mates in?

Manchester United Forums > Football Discussion Forum > Man Utd Chat > Hargreaves or Fletcher

This poll is so emberassing that I'll have to make a poll later for the goal of the week, so that this doesn't show up on the main page.

Other UNited fans, who are not members will read it and laugh.

Owen Hargreaves is a much better football than Darren Fletcher ever could be.

Hargo's weapons are his pace, touch, tackling, energy and crossing. He is also capable of sweet free kicks.

Fletcher's weapon is his ugly face, which he uses to scare opponents and his lack of spacial awareness, which is so comical it makes opponents laugh.

Here are some scenarios in which Owen Hargreaves would still be a better footballer than Darren Fletcher:

- Fletcher leads Scotland to an amazing victory in the Euro 2012 finals, while Hargreaves is crocked at home making an omelet in his kitchen.

- Fletcher scores the winning goal of a CL final, while Hargo is flirting with Peter Crouch's girlfriend, who is sitting in the stands.

- Fletcher plays a fantastic game against Roma, marking Toti out of the game, not getting dispossesed while making defense-splitting assists that won the game. Hargo was on the bench filing his nails and discussing iPod playlists with Giggsy.

In all those scenarions, it is still Hargreaves>Fletcher
^ You have been spending too much time in the fairy garden lately. Put down those shrooms, Crooney and step away from the purple trees.

If Fletcher = Ambrosini, I am Jessica Alba's toy boy and Lindsay Lohan's massage therapist.

- Good point about Sheasy.
I recently saw a match from 05 and I think he was better back then!
His touch has become almost like led and his passing is attricious. Top bloke, but a very average footballer.
Thank God he can score vital goals :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am not Flecthers biggest fan but like others on here I thought he played well in Italy. You always get hard worl from Flecther but whether he delivers the same quality as a Scholes or Carrick is very debatable. Still a decent committed player nonetheless.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts