Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
United retain 'most valuable' title - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

Manchester United have held on to their position as the world's most valuable sports team, according to Forbes magazine.

The respected American business publication valued the Premier League champions at $1.87 billion (£1.14bn) in April, the highest figure in sport.

Forbes has now reassessed its valuations of American football teams, with NFL top dogs the Dallas Cowboys unable to dislodge United from the top spot.

The Cowboys's annual increase of 2 per cent means they are now worth $1.65bn (£1.01bn), meaning they stay second overall.

The new top 10 of sport's rich list contains six NFL teams, three football teams and the New York Yankees baseball team.

Real Madrid are football's second most valuable team, while, perhaps surprisingly, football's third entry in the overall top 10.

Liverpool and Bayern Munich are the only other sides valued at over $1bn (£612m).

Forbes's 10 most valuable sports teams

1 - Manchester United - $1.870bn (£1.144bn)

2 - Dallas Cowboys - $1.650bn (£1.009bn)

3 - Washington Redskins - $1.550bn (£948m)

4 - New York Yankees - $1.500bn (£918m)

5 - New England Patriots - $1.361bn (£833m)

6 - Real Madrid - $1.353bn (£828m)

7 - Arsenal - $1.200bn (£734m)

8 - New York Giants - $1.183bn (£724m)

9 - New York Jets - $1.170bn (£716m)

10 - Houston Texans - $1.150bn (£704m)

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Intriguing...

Glazer bank balance swells by £400 million - FourFourTwo

Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer has seen his bank balance swell by £400 million over the past 10 months.

FourFourTwo.com’s Football Rich List 2009/10, revealed today, shows that the American has wealth estimated to be in the region of £1.5 billion, up from £1.1 billion at the start of the year – figures that see him placed seventh place in the list.

The 81-year-old bought out the Premier League giants between 2003 and 2005, although the takeover was opposed by a large number of United fans, who were unhappy with the debt being burdened upon the club and felt the club should remain in the hands of the fans, rather than overseas investors.

Glazer is certainly more popular with fans of his other team, NFL side Tampa Bay Buccaneers, than those of United.

The Floridian side have enjoyed a marked improvement in fortunes since Glazer’s arrival in 1995 – with the New Yorker campaigning for the local government to build the team a state-of-the-art stadium, and seeing the team win their first ever Super Bowl against the Oakland Raiders in 2003.

The franchise was valued at $963 million by Forbes Magazine in 2007.

The hefty profit has come from his investments in food, marine protein, broadcasting, health care, property, banking, natural gas and oil and the Internet, rather than his sporting endeavours – although recouping £80 million from the sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real Madrid this summer wouldn’t have done the balance sheet any harm.

Despite that record-breaking sale, United spent just £19 million on new players this summer.

But with Glazer making big profits over the past 12 months, it could well be that he hands Sir Alex Ferguson further funds in the January transfer window.

·
23,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
For those interested to dig further into the finances of others to gasp or scorn... :D

Including..

LIST The 100 richest people in British football
NEWS Mittal replaces Sheikh Mansour on top of Rich List
BLOG Who's this Lakshmi Mittal bloke?
NEWS Abramovich makes his Chelsea investment back in nine months flat
NEWS Liverpool's joint investors now have something else to squabble over
BLOG How the Rich List is calculated
BLOG Rooney and Glazer the young and old of Rich List
NEWS Owen and Rooney neck-and-neck behind Becks
LIST The 20 richest players in Britain
GALLERY The top 20 players in pictures
NEWS Fabio Capello named wealthiest manager
LIST The 10 richest managers in Britain
GALLERY The top 10 managers in pictures

How we count the beans - FourFourTwo's Inside Track - FourFourTwo

·
One Armed Bandit
8,143 Posts
Intriguing...

Glazer is certainly more popular with fans of his other team, NFL side Tampa Bay Buccaneers, than those of United.

The Floridian side have enjoyed a marked improvement in fortunes since Glazer’s arrival in 1995 – with the New Yorker campaigning for the local government to build the team a state-of-the-art stadium, and seeing the team win their first ever Super Bowl against the Oakland Raiders in 2003.
i think whoever wrote that article is talking bollocks there.
no way is he popular with buccaneers fans. thousands despise him for the way he is treating supporters and how he is destroying their club.

also...

A Glazer family pledge that all £80m of the Cristiano Ronaldo transfer fee would be spent on new players for Manchester United is being viewed with renewed scepticism after revelations that their American football team is being starved of cash.

Figures show that this season the Glazers' Tampa Bay Buccaneers have spent less on players than any other team in the NFL. They are £19million under the league's salary cap - almost twice as much as the next-stingiest club on players than the maximum allowed have under gridiron's salary cap rules - a record low for the league and £14million less than the average spend.

Accounts also show that the Bucs are the league's lowest total spenders over the last four seasons, since the Glazers began paying off interest on the huge loans they took out to buy United.

Alas, this has resulted in Tampa Bay becoming one of NFL's worst teams just in time for their visit to Wembley later this month, where they are expected to be battered by the New England Patriots.
Manchester United fans beware: is the Glazers' other team skint? - MirrorFootball.co.uk

·
Registered
230 Posts
I don't know whether to jump with joy or throw up with fear. :confused:

On the one hand Platini really does want to make a difference. he wants it to be about the football. I really admire that.

On the other hand I sometimes get the feeling he has it in for English clubs if you catch my drift. Maybe it's because Premier League clubs have the most cash.

If Platini does walk the walk as well as talk the talk then he could introduce this licensing system to prevent clubs from amassing huge debts.

What do you think would happen to United? Or in fact all English clubs with rich foreign sugar daddies?

City would be broke again after one glorious season of having money. :D I guess overall I'm happy with the idea. I'm all for variety.

I would rather see a whole host of clubs across Europe competing to be the best rather than one league dominating for years.

I think United would survive.

Have I missed something???

I was happy with the other ideas he came up with as they seem to attack the bitters situation and would stop the sheik from just buying their way to the top - whilst not attacking us on debt so long as we can service it

These comments are the opposite (are they not) - focussing on us and others like us - the bitters would be home free as the sheik has not loaded the club with debt like the scouse, chelski and us

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Fergie: Football set for financial meltdown

Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is worried escalating transfer fees could signal a business-style financial collapse in the football world.

"There is an awful lot of expenditure and you say to yourself, 'Where is it going to end?'," Ferguson told The Guardian.

"This is exactly what was happening in the business world two years ago. There were warning signs and everyone knew there were, yet they carried on because it was so easy to access loans.

"In the football world the warning signs are there but nobody seems to be bothering about it.

"You wonder where it's going to end and what is going to happen if one major club were to... collapse."

The Scot seemed to have in mind clubs like Real Madrid and Manchester City, who spent huge sums on players in the transfer window with the Spanish side paying a world record £80 million for United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ferguson said vast expenditure does not always equal automatic success.

"It is not easy winning things, definitely not easy, and they will soon find out," he said.

United, second in the Premier League two points behind Chelsea, play Bolton Wanderers at Old Trafford on Saturday.

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
The problem is is that we are just as much at risk as anyone, maybe even more-so. We have a massive debt and although at the moment we seem to be managing it, if we don't win trophies/titles season in season out then we are in a seriously dodgy predicament. I could never imagine it happening but it would seriously break my heart if it did, I don't think I would ever get over it and I wouldn't be able to follow another team either. Well, having said that, I could follow FC, but they would be the only other club I could seriously give my heart to

·
Banned
12,703 Posts
The problem is is that we are just as much at risk as anyone, maybe even more-so. We have a massive debt and although at the moment we seem to be managing it, if we don't win trophies/titles season in season out then we are in a seriously dodgy predicament. I could never imagine it happening but it would seriously break my heart if it did, I don't think I would ever get over it and I wouldn't be able to follow another team either. Well, having said that, I could follow FC, but they would be the only other club I could seriously give my heart to
And what exactly is it?

·
A curry and a crate of wifebeater please!!
25,242 Posts
And what exactly is it?
Well my response is to the article which if you read and then read my post you would understand, but just to clarify for those that can't seem to follow a continuous discussion :p

"You wonder where it's going to end and what is going to happen if one major club were to... collapse."

21 - 40 of 49 Posts