Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do the US-Americans call the sport as "soccer" and not football like the rest of the world? :p

Why they don't call their sport, American football, not "American soccer", or something like that?

Which term use the Irish people? Do they use the term soccer? :confused:

:) :) :)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
We don't call it American Football, just like you don't call your food "German food"

I'm sure some Irish people will also respond to your question, but in his book Roy Keane says soccer a lot.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
piazza said:
We don't call it American Football, just like you don't call your food "German food"

I'm sure some Irish people will also respond to your question, but in his book Roy Keane says soccer a lot.
I know you just say football. But why you don't say soccer to your sport?

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
Why do the US-Americans call the sport as "soccer" and not football like the rest of the world? :p

Why they don't call their sport, American football, not "American soccer", or something like that?

Which term use the Irish people? Do they use the term soccer? :confused:

:) :) :)
most people over here refer to football as "soccer" because of Gaelic football :rolleyes:

for me football= soccer

Gaelic =Gaelic football ;)

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
ayrton-senna3 said:
I know you just say football. But why you don't say soccer to your sport?
Why don't we call American football, soccer?

Because the term "soccer" has been around for like 200 years. It comes from asSOCiation football, invented by the English, as a way of differentiating between association football, and rugby union football.

And for the record, I never say "soccer"

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football
Football

·
Registered
177 Posts
Its called football for a reason.

You kick a ball with your foot, Simpe Really.

You yanks can shove your "soccer" up your arse

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
mufc-ok said:
Its called football for a reason.

You kick a ball with your foot, Simpe Really.

You yanks can shove your "soccer" up your arse
While I agree with you completely, it must be noted, that you Brits came up with the word.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
cantos red army said:
most people over here refer to football as "soccer" because of Gaelic football :rolleyes:

for me football= soccer

Gaelic =Gaelic football ;)
Most ppl down the sticks umean :D only buzzin its only those nutters like spillane from kerry call it soccer.

funny how american football for the most part doesnt involve kicking

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
hatedastarfish said:
Most ppl down the sticks umean :D only buzzin its only those nutters like spillane from kerry call it soccer.

but va va calls it football and hes the ultimate farmer with stick :eek: ;) :p

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Depends on who I'm with and what we're talking about...

I say soccer, as football is Gaelic Football, on some stages and say Gaelic and football as soccer on other stages...

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
hatedastarfish said:

I disagree, when ever we play an international match it's called Irish international soccer on the TV adds. I think most Irish call it soccer..... although i think footie is been used more. If someone asked me what sport do i play... i say soccer. Its saves confusion.

Or maybe ye Dubs are too cool for that;)

In Ireland football = Gaelic

Edit----------- to look good i use Football on foums!! SSHHHHH

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
I disagree, when ever we play an international match it's called Irish international soccer on the TV adds. I think most Irish call it soccer..... although i think footie is been used more. If someone asked me what sport do i play... i say soccer. Its saves confusion.

Or maybe ye Dubs are too cool for that;)

In Ireland football = Gaelic
Yeah were a class above up here haha not!

most people i know, from dublin and beyond call it football. after all the official name is association football:) all the same really like the similarities between phil babb and a sack of potatoes

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
cantos red army said:
but va va calls it football and hes the ultimate farmer with stick :eek: ;) :p
I've had enough of this, i'll meet you down the pub and we'll sort this out.

Bring a weapon of you choice, non electrical!!!

Hers mine............. your dead:p

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
piazza said:
Why don't we call American football, soccer?

Because the term "soccer" has been around for like 200 years. It comes from asSOCiation football, invented by the English, as a way of differentiating between association football, and rugby union football.

And for the record, I never say "soccer"
For me I also say football.

And football wasn't invented by the English. Football was invented by the ancient China 2000 BC. They played a similar game.

The English were first who they made football to that sport what it is today. The English bring on the first rules. The first football club (Sheffield FC). The first major league (The Football League in 1888). And the first major cup (FA Cup in 1871).

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
hatedastarfish said:
Yeah were a class above up here haha not!

most people i know, from dublin and beyond call it football. after all the official name is association football:) all the same really like the similarities between phil babb and a sack of potatoes
Well to be honest over the last few years i've been calling it Football, but to girls or non sporty people its soccer. Keano said it depends on who you talking to.... he's probably right.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts