Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Football - The Beautiful "Physical" Game?

Question is,

Is it?

Recently, mainly since the recent crackdown on respect by the FA, it appears that
EVERY little nudge, push, tug, stumble, trip whatever is being pulled up by these
supposed trained officials. Back in the day, tackles that "could" result in serious
injury, would be waved away if no contact was made and deemed a brilliant
challenge. The player would get up and hound the ball down and possibly deliver
a similar crunching blow. Nowadays, a simple, fairer then fair and most basic of
tackles, the shoulder is becoming an illegal attribute to possess. If two players
are running for the ball, they should be allowed to shoulder each other in a bid to
beat the opponent to the ball. If they both brush each other's shoulders it should
be allowed, and likewise, if they both go clattering into each other. If its shoulder
to shoulder then its a perfect tackle! Isn't it? Well, all refs will blow it up now if
that happens and it ruins the passion of players and the drive of the game. Not to
mention the heated atmosphere in the crowd dies quickly when a bone crunching
challenge (fair) or a shoulder is called upon.

The advantage rule is also seemingly being left out of the reffing courses. If a
player is clearly tripped, and fouled, but he manages to play on, or the ball breaks
to a team mate then its an advantage moment and play should continue. But it
doesn't happen now does it? Its free after free after free and so on, disrupting
the game. The perfect example of this is United's visit to Stamford Bridge last
week, 7 bookings for us, and every nudge a free kick.

Its about time the physical side of the game was introduced now. Soon players
will have to have knee and shoulder pads to protect themselves from a bruise!
We all want it, players included I'm sure, well most of them yet it appears that the
refs aren't liking the contest. Is it because they're afraid of decisions they might
have to make or something stupid like that? United players through the ages
have been renowned for their fiery play and physical elements. Kevin Moran,
Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Wayne Rooney just to name a few. But Rooney has
been asked and told to curb his aggression, and its dulling himself and he shows
it. He wants to battle for the ball and win it rather then standing off and maybe
getting a throw.

Man City played Wigan earlier today and I saw one of the most disgraceful
decisions in my life. (No it wasn't the Wigan penalty) Micah Richards and
someone, I think possibly Zaki were running toward the corner for the ball,
Richards being a big beast of a man used his presence to shoulder Zaki and Zaki
fell. It was shoulder to shoulder no doubt, yet the ref thought, "Oh, he fell! Maybe
he cut himself on a blade of grass. Time to blow my whistle again!" Why?? He did
nothing wrong. ts an element of our game that's creeped in for a few years now,
and every season, it seems to be cut out more and more. What the game needs
is few Roy Keane's and Patrick Viera's to show them how to play the game,
because if this keeps up, refs and officials will destroy the physical side of the
game.

So what do you think?

• Are the ref's ruining it?
  • Is the FA to blame?
  • Is it modern society fitting into football?
  • Are there no more of those so called hard-men about?
  • Are players/managers afraid of injury?
  • Am I ranting about nothing here?

Whatever it is....discuss..............

·
Registered
601 Posts
I am clueless on this, i don't understand referees anymore. They should just let the players decide if its a foul or not, maybe the players would make a better decision than the referees.

That would be funny

LOL

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I have to say it’s an interesting topic for sure. Unfortunately it’s a topic you can get lost in all the different angles of how to interpret the rules.

Shortly my view is that the only one to blame is 1. players, 2. managers/team owners 3. TV broadcasting the games.

In football the players shows each other poor respect and even less respect for the officials. Managers are cowards who don’t speak up when they benefit from a cheat. Everyone is as silent and pretend it never happened. Yes, Ferguson too.

The ref’s makes mistakes and are too watching the reruns of incidents on TV. I do believe they try to do the best they can do when being on the pitch but keep in mind they have to control 22 fully fit players and to understand what distance they have to cover run up and down the pitch and you get another view of the ref’s job. There are bad refs too. Calciopoli is a sad example on that. Whats so ironic is that one of the most corrupt leagues in Europe is the only one doing the most to stop this. Is everyone so naïve to think this isn’t happening here? It has happened in Italy and Germany recently. Why not England, France, Holland, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Greece…..
Where there is money to make there’s crooks.

In Italy the mafia boss Berlusconi have a few TV Channels where they have Calcio shows and where they thoroughly analyze the game and run a specific incident over and over again while the ref have a split sec to make his mind up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
spellbound said:
I have to say it's an interesting topic for sure. Unfortunately it's a topic you can get lost in all the different angles of how to interpret the rules.

Shortly my view is that the only one to blame is 1. players, 2. managers/team owners 3. TV broadcasting the games.

In football the players shows each other poor respect and even less respect for the officials. Managers are cowards who don't speak up when they benefit from a cheat. Everyone is as silent and pretend it never happened. Yes, Ferguson too.

The ref's makes mistakes and are too watching the reruns of incidents on TV. I do believe they try to do the best they can do when being on the pitch but keep in mind they have to control 22 fully fit players and to understand what distance they have to cover run up and down the pitch and you get another view of the ref's job. There are bad refs too. Calciopoli is a sad example on that. Whats so ironic is that one of the most corrupt leagues in Europe is the only one doing the most to stop this. Is everyone so naïve to think this isn't happening here? It has happened in Italy and Germany recently. Why not England, France, Holland, Spain, Norway, Sweden, Russia, Greece…..
Where there is money to make there's crooks.

In Italy the mafia boss Berlusconi have a few TV Channels where they have Calcio shows and where they thoroughly analyze the game and run a specific incident over and over again while the ref have a split sec to make his mind up.
How is it the managers or the players fault. Yeah the referees do make mistakes but they make too many mistakes and its there fault.

Look back before the prem started, the referees were fantastic back then AND TACKLES FLEW IN, why shouldn't referees be like that now. Its up to the referee at the end of the day, its his job. They need to use more common sense rather than doing it by the book.

·
Registered
286 Posts
In my opinion football is no longer physical. The referees all think the game is all about them and they want the spotlight. Also something needs to be done cos eventhough they do a hard job they are mostly ****... Also the hardmen of the game, like the Roy Keanes or even Patrick Viera have been taken over by the puffs like Fabregas or the absolute nutcases like Joey Barton.

Football is not the game it used to be. But surely it can return to how it was. Cant it?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hezzy said:
In my opinion football is no longer physical. The referees all think the game is all about them and they want the spotlight. Also something needs to be done cos eventhough they do a hard job they are mostly ****... Also the hardmen of the game, like the Roy Keanes or even Patrick Viera have been taken over by the puffs like Fabregas or the absolute nutcases like Joey Barton.

Football is not the game it used to be. But surely it can return to how it was. Cant it?
Very True, Spot Light. They wanna right a BOOK and make millions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts