Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
England failure 'would be good'

Under-fire England boss Steve McClaren faces a tense weekend
Former England defender Paul Parker believes failure to qualify for Euro 2008 could be the wake-up call the English game needs.
If Russia beat Israel on Saturday, England will be all but eliminated from the qualification race for the finals.

"I hope England do not qualify because we really need to have a look at our game," Parker told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Youngsters are not coming through. We are told they are not good enough but they are not getting opportunities."

Parker was part of the last England side that failed to qualify for a major tournament, the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

We deserve to be in the finals because we've lost only once and that sums up our consistency

Russia striker Alexander Kerzhakov

And he says the authorities must address the issue of foreign players and English players coming through the ranks.

"We keep using the excuse that there are no players coming through which I think is feeble," he added.

"Despite that, we want to jump on plans and drag players in from abroad and yet they are good enough.

"Football has become a must-win business. Managers can't take gambles because they are being put under pressure for their jobs due to the amount of money in the game.

"There is something wrong with England as a whole that we are not producing players. We are not bothered about looking for talent here.

"If England do not qualify, I would like to think there would be a review of the game.

Parker won 19 caps for England at right back

"Hopefully, we would start right at the very bottom and try to improve our game by using English players at the top clubs rather than seeing them being sent out on loan.

"We can't look at it and just hope. If Israel get some kind of result and England get through, do we just sweep it under the carpet? I think that will be completely wrong because we need to get it sorted out."

Meanwhile, Russia striker Alexander Kerzhakov says England are struggling to qualify for Euro 2008 because money has diminished the work ethic of the players.

"England have a team of big stars who earn an awful lot of money from playing with their private deals," he said.

"Russia have a compact group of players who don't have anywhere near as much money, but with far more hard workers on the field. That's the difference between the countries.

"That's why we are in a strong position and England have been left just hoping."

England need Israel to pick up at least a point against Russia, or for Macedonia to beat Croatia, if they are to realistically stay in with a chance of qualifying.

I'll leave it you England fans....;)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I'm going for a Russia win, that's all I am saying. Wait, I have some more..I think it will send them all back down to earth and they should start playing with their heart and not for their pocket.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
ENGLAND EXPECTS !!!!

IN a week when the nation remembered its brave soldiers,
England could add another 11 heroes to its role of honour tomorrow night.

Victory — or a draw — for Israel's national side tomorrow evening against Russia
could be crucial if England are to qualify for next year's European Championships.

And Tel Aviv's Ramat Gan stadium is bracing itself for an invasion of English expats
who will be there cheering on Dror Kashtan's men.

Israeli Football Association's Ofer Ronen-Abels said he is expecting English expats
to pour into the stadium for the big game.

He told the Jewish Telegraph: “There's no official supporters' club coming to watch
the game, but I've no doubt that there will be some English Jews who have
emigrated to Israel in the ground to cheer us on.â€

Mr Ronen-Abels added that the Israelis were pumped up for the game.

He said: “It is an international game and there are no easy ones of those. But the
squad is confident and preparation is going well.â€

England fan David Redman, a member of the official England Supporters' Club,
said the Israelis would be welcome here with open arms should they defeat the
Russians.

Sheffield-based Mr Redman, 57, told the Jewish Telegraph: “I can't see any
reason why they shouldn't win — they have a brilliant track record at home. All
England fans will be cheering Israel on.â€

And Israel and Chelsea defender Tal Ben Haim said he would be doing everything
to help the England players in the Stamford Bridge squad.

He added: “We will play with pride — and if by winning we can help my mates at
Chelsea as well, even better. We want to win every match — we don't like to
lose.â€

Ben Haim added that all the talk at Chelsea had been of the Israel game.

He said: “The England lads have been piling on the pressure about Israel getting
the result that will help them outâ€

The 25-year-old centre-half also denied talk of a conspiracy theory that Israel —
home to more than a million immigrants from the former Soviet Union — would be
happy to see Russia go through.

“I can assure every England fan that each one of us who plays tomorrow will give
100 per cent,†Ben Haim said.

Nervous England fans up and down the country will be pouring into the nation's
bars to give support to Israel.

However, not all Israelis will be rooting for England.

Israel's goalkeeping coach, Russian-born Alexander Urbanov has admitted he
wants his home nation to qualify — at England's expense.

The 47-year-old told Israeli sports website ONE: “I would like Russia to qualify for
the Euros — and for them that means winning in Israel. I've told them it won't be
easy.

“In the 16 years I've been involved with the Israeli squad, we have never done
anything but to try our best in every single match.â€

And Betar Jerusalem defender Yoav Ziv believes they need to record a good result
on tomorrow, regardless of the implications it may have on the group.

He said: “We don't care what England need, we're coming to fight for our pride. It
is important for us to claim points tomorrow — we're not coming to get the result
for England, but for ourselves.â€

And Israel have received a major boost, after Argentinean-born striker Roberto
Colautti returned to the national team set up for the first time since June.

Colautti, who plays for German side Borussia Monchengladbach, was missed by
Israel in their defeats by England and Croatia in their last two qualifiers.

S

·
0 Posts
Keano4taoiseach said:
Former England defender Paul Parker believes failure to qualify for Euro 2008 could be the wake-up call the English game needs.

" we really need to have a look at our game," Parker told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"Youngsters are not coming through. We are told they are not good enough but they are not getting opportunities."

We deserve to be in the finals because we've lost only once and that sums up our consistency

And he says the authorities must address the issue of foreign players and English players coming through the ranks.

"We keep using the excuse that there are no players coming through which I think is feeble," he added.

"Despite that, we want to jump on plans and drag players in from abroad and yet they are good enough.

"Football has become a must-win business. Managers can't take gambles because they are being put under pressure for their jobs due to the amount of money in the game.

"There is something wrong with England as a whole that we are not producing players. We are not bothered about looking for talent here.

"If England do not qualify, I would like to think there would be a review of the game.

"Hopefully, we would start right at the very bottom and try to improve our game by using English players at the top clubs rather than seeing them being sent out on loan.

"We can't look at it and just hope. If Israel get some kind of result and England get through, do we just sweep it under the carpet? I think that will be completely wrong because we need to get it sorted out."

Meanwhile, Russia striker Alexander Kerzhakov says England are struggling to qualify for Euro 2008 because money has diminished the work ethic of the players.

"England have a team of big stars who earn an awful lot of money from playing with their private deals," he said.

"Russia have a compact group of players who don't have anywhere near as much money, but with far more hard workers on the field. That's the difference between the countries.

"That's why we are in a strong position and England have been left just hoping."
Actually Parker talks a lot of sense and hit the nail on the head with what i've quoted above and Alexander Kerzhakov gets it right about the money side of things.
Football in this country needs a very big shake up and if England do not qualify it might happen, but i wont hold my breath.

COME ON ENGLAND....England expects etc etc. :)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
I am sure Russia will have to work their socks off to beat this young Israel side ! We ( Croatia) beat their first string side overthere with easily dominating the pitch from start to finish... True, we beat them 4-3, but we were 2 goals up and could have scored 5 th or even 6th. But their second string gave us a lot of hard time with their well organised defence. Even Slaven Bilic told their manager - "Congrats on a great defensive performance.I prefer this young team to your so called stars"
We are lucky for having a predator in the box like Dudu ( hehe, stupid Wenger has forced him to play on the wing, while he's a classic goal poacher ) who put away 1 good cross from EPL collegue Corluka, that killed off the match
Unlike us, I don't think Russia has got what it take to beat them. Russia are a very limited team, especially when playing away. We totally outplayed them in both matches, and they seemed weaker than Israel, believe me. Chances in that match are 50 - 50...But, Russia's great advantage is that Israel have nothing to play for.
But, England somehow behave like if Russia slip up, then they'll beat us for sure. Need I remind you that our last loss was 17 months ago against Brasil at the opening match of our WC group, while our last qualifying loss was almost 4 years ago. True, you are a great footballing nation, but you can't take a win over us for granted.

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
I am sure Russia will have to work their socks off to beat this young Israel side ! We ( Croatia) beat their first string side overthere with easily dominating the pitch from start to finish... True, we beat them 4-3, but we were 2 goals up and could have scored 5 th or even 6th. But their second string gave us a lot of hard time with their well organised defence. Even Slaven Bilic told their manager - "Congrats on a great defensive performance.I prefer this young team to your so called stars"
We are lucky for having a predator in the box like Dudu ( hehe, stupid Wenger has forced him to play on the wing, while he's a classic goal poacher ) who put away 1 good cross from EPL collegue Corluka, that killed off the match
Unlike us, I don't think Russia has got what it take to beat them. Russia are a very limited team, especially when playing away. We totally outplayed them in both matches, and they seemed weaker than Israel, believe me. Chances in that match are 50 - 50...But, Russia's great advantage is that Israel have nothing to play for.
But, England somehow behave like if Russia slip up, then they'll beat us for sure. Need I remind you that our last loss was 17 months ago against Brasil at the opening match of our WC group, while our last qualifying loss was almost 4 years ago. True, you are a great footballing nation, but you can't take a win over us for granted.
I've been reading in many newspaper about this point.

It does seem that England make an assumption if Israel get a good result then it's all going to be OK for England !!!

I don't think so......

Croatia are better than England and already beat them !!

Russia may slip up - but I feel England have bigger chance for slip up !!

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
IF it resulted in a shake up then it would be a good thing but the FA are spineless and will do nothing whether we qualify or not. They're bloody useless.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SALFORD RED said:
Actually Parker talks a lot of sense and hit the nail on the head with what i've quoted above and Alexander Kerzhakov gets it right about the money side of things.
Football in this country needs a very big shake up and if England do not qualify it might happen, but i wont hold my breath.

COME ON ENGLAND....England expects etc etc. :)

I didn't say I didn't agree with Barkers opinions.....

I was simply highlighting his comment on his hope that England lose and what you England fans would think....

Of course he is right, in theory, but my view is that every England fan needs to get behind the team and Israel..lol....and hopefully this world-class team you are so lucky to posess can fulfill their potential and win the Euro 2008...

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
hahahaha! my compatriot has just told me that they were at the Austria( they are Croats living in Austria ) match, and after the match, they were standing in front of the english bus, waving and kissing croatian jersey ! He said that the best reaction came from Lampard who hit the bus window while Ashley Cole flipped him a finger !!!! Hahaha ! Beauty!

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
CROoney from Dubrovnik said:
hahahaha! my compatriot has just told me that they were at the Austria( they are Croats living in Austria ) match, and after the match, they were standing in front of the english bus, waving and kissing croatian jersey ! He said that the best reaction came from Lampard who hit the bus window while Ashley Cole flipped him a finger !!!! Hahaha ! Beauty!
Maybe Fat Frank and Cashey were upset after another boring performance !!

Ranked 88 in the world and Austria were far from scared of England !!

Seems from your friends reactions they don't appear to be too scared either :p

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Maybe Fat Frank and Cashey were upset after another boring performance !!

Ranked 88 in the world and Austria were far from scared of England !!

Seems from your friends reactions they don't appear to be too scared either :p
what can i say ?:p scared of who ? of constantly underachiveing team ?:p
Isn't it a bit strange how only "chelski-based" players had the worst reactions ? :D I'm proud of our United boys

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
did anyone happen to watch Macedonia - Croatia match ???? It was absolutely the worst match I have seen in ages ! And all due to a disastreus pitch !! Some of our players thought that match would be abandoned !!! It should have been. It was like watching 2 5th division sides ! First shot occured at 60th minute !The only player who came on for warm up was our goalkeeper... It wasn't football, it was torture... They couldn't kick a ball 2 feet ahead...Through ball?! In your dreams... Every time they tried, it stopped in the mud...It was like watching beach soccer...That was absurd... When a pitch significantly reduces the quality of the side(s) and football, bringing sides on the same level in a match where anything could happen, it should be abandoned. Our whole brilliant qualifying efforts could have been put in jeopardy by the clown judge who thought match should be played. Idiot ! Even our goalkeeper who has been playing in Ukraine and Russia said that he has NEVER played on such conditions...
Oh and, didn't I tell you about limited Russians ! ? Hiddink who ? What has he ever done except for stealing the 4th place at the WC by robbing Italians and Spaniards

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thats great news for England. Both results went our way. Just a draw will see us through, thank God. Hopefully we can do it, even with Roooney&Owen.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
even if isreal do win england will just call it a close shave and continue to play the lackluster football style they've played over the last two months.They really need someone to slap thier ears and tell them to wake up.But i dont want Russia to win because i dont believe england did a lot wrong to have deserved this

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Well they made it.....

Not by their own levels of skill and va va voom...

But because someone else helped them !!

Maybe this will be a nice wake up call for them !!

Mybe now we will see a 'good' England performance against Croatia !!

Maybe we wont too.......

Who knows these days !!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
what are all you talking about?

in case you didn't realize a qualification campaign is over 12 games not 10 or 11,

like the premier league, utd don't win that by christmas just coz they are top

come wednesday we will beat croatia (better team, lmfao) and finish top of the group proving we are the best team in the group, points don't lie and we will have the most, like in the premier league the team that finishes on top of the league as been the best team coz they have the most points no question about it

yes we've made it hard for ourselves and should of qualified earlier but as russia and croatia have found themselves going to places to like macadonia and isreal is no walk in the park

we will face croatia with 4 of our best players out in terry, rio, rooney, and owen, and we will still beat them, mark my words

and i can't wait till wednesday is over so we can put the internationals to bed for a while and get back to the real reason every one comes on this site, talking about utd, not to come on to rip into england,

i don't know why anyone even bothered to watch england friday night, your not english any of you, there was no utd players playing for england, so if you all hate us that much why bother even watching?

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
andycole9 said:
what are all you talking about?

in case you didn't realize a qualification campaign is over 12 games not 10 or 11,

like the premier league, utd don't win that by christmas just coz they are top

come wednesday we will beat croatia (better team, lmfao) and finish top of the group proving we are the best team in the group, points don't lie and we will have the most, like in the premier league the team that finishes on top of the league as been the best team coz they have the most points no question about it--- I WONDER IF YOU'LL BE SAYING THIS AFTER WE BEAT YOU AT WEMBLEY....yes we've made it hard for ourselves and should of qualified earlier but as russia and croatia have found themselves going to places to like macadonia( DID YOU EVEN SEE OUR MATCH AGAINST MACEDONIA ??? DID YOU SEE THE CONDITIONS ??? I BET YOU DIDN'T...IT WAS LIKE WATCHING BEACH SOCCER ... THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO CONDITION TO PLAY...EVEN THE REF TRIED TO POSTPONE IT , BUT HE GOT PRESSURED BY UEFA ( i can't see the reason why except to help some "big" countries to qualify) and isreal is no walk in the park

we will face croatia with 4 of our best players out in terry, rio, rooney, and owen, and we will still beat them, mark my words

and i can't wait till wednesday is over so we can put the internationals to bed for a while and get back to the real reason every one comes on this site, talking about utd, not to come on to rip into england,

i don't know why anyone even bothered to watch england friday night, your not english any of you, there was no utd players playing for england, so if you all hate us that much why bother even watching?

and who said anything about hating england...and let me show you a bit of conditions in which the match was played
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u1vjmvtLo0..
if you 'd played there it would have been all over the world ... you had some problems with an artificial pitch in russia which was a real carpet for this mud...need i say that warm ups were held 200 meters from the stadium in complete dark with power shortages, that players had to walk through the ques of fans to enter the field...those were irregular conditions mate in which the game would have been postponed had some bigger nations played there

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yet to prove you're better than Croatia...hell we're better than Croatia. Not so far apart after all are we? ;)

I will mark your words Andycole9 mate, because I think Croatia will do you at home. Embarassing!!!

However, if you were to win and finish top...um so you should, you're England, the greatest football team in the world haha, what, Russia and Croatia are on par? Oh okay then. :p

only a bit of banter lads, i am aussie afterall its my right to slaughter you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts