Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the 23rd april is nearly upon us and what better day for the finest team in english football to put on a show to make us proud to be english ?

cmon ronaldo vidic evra tevez anderson and nani for england and st george lets be having you !:D

·
He wipes front to back
27,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reddwarf said:
St George is also the patron saint of Spain...
is he ? well you learn something new every day . i came here for the banter and left a wiser man :D how do you know this ?

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
haggler said:
is he ? well you learn something new every day . i came here for the banter and left a wiser man :D how do you know this ?
He reads ...

He reads a lot actually and he knows some weird things ...

It's a scary place inside his head !

Somewhere you really don't want to go Hagglist !

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,665 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
He reads ...

He reads a lot actually and he knows some weird things ...

It's a scary place inside his head !

Somewhere you really don't want to go Hagglist !
Weird and wonderful things ;)

It's true - I did read up about our patron saint a few years ago.

Strictly speaking my statement was inaccurate though. He's actually the patron saint of Catalonia, not Spain, but he's also the patron saint of Portugal, Greece and a couple of other countries.

I've always found it amusing that our patron saint is a Turkish guy who became a Roman soldier and never set foot in England yet we use his symbol (the red cross) in our flag and we tell the legend of him slaying a dragon during the crusades as if he was an English hero! (Remember the opening ceremony for Euro 96?)

On TV last night there were elderly ladies being asked about St George's Day and they were saying how great he was and how we should be proud of our history...clearly not realising that he's not part of OUR history :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts