Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has again outlined his support for proposals to limit the number of foreign players in team line-ups.Ferguson voiced his approval last year of world governing body FIFA's plans for a maximum of five foreigners in starting XIs.

The proposals are currently unworkable in law in the European Union but Ferguson's opinions have not changed.

Speaking in Japan ahead of United's Club World Cup campaign, Ferguson told fifa.com: "I think it should be a concern when local and national players are not given opportunities, so therefore eventually there have to be limitations on foreign players. That way clubs' youth systems are protected.

"Progress is progress and the future has to protect the national game."

United earned praise from FIFA president Sepp Blatter for winning the Champions League last season with a side containing six English players.

Ferguson added: "We have been fortunate that the players we have understand the romance and loyalty of the club.

"Ryan Giggs has been with the club for 21 years, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes for 19 years, and that demonstrates the part loyalty plays in the game.

"People look at the stats of those three players and will be amazed, but why? These players have supported the club with their loyalty but it's a two-way thing and we are proud of that.

"Wes Brown, Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea are also instrumental. We've brought young players in and they've stayed for the duration. As a club, we encourage loyalty." -Eurosport

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
hafiz_shukri00391 said:
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has again outlined his support for proposals to limit the number of foreign players in team line-ups.Ferguson voiced his approval last year of world governing body FIFA's plans for a maximum of five foreigners in starting XIs.

The proposals are currently unworkable in law in the European Union but Ferguson's opinions have not changed.

Speaking in Japan ahead of United's Club World Cup campaign, Ferguson told fifa.com: "I think it should be a concern when local and national players are not given opportunities, so therefore eventually there have to be limitations on foreign players. That way clubs' youth systems are protected.

"Progress is progress and the future has to protect the national game."

United earned praise from FIFA president Sepp Blatter for winning the Champions League last season with a side containing six English players.

Ferguson added: "We have been fortunate that the players we have understand the romance and loyalty of the club.

"Ryan Giggs has been with the club for 21 years, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes for 19 years, and that demonstrates the part loyalty plays in the game.

"People look at the stats of those three players and will be amazed, but why? These players have supported the club with their loyalty but it's a two-way thing and we are proud of that.

"Wes Brown, Darren Fletcher and John O'Shea are also instrumental. We've brought young players in and they've stayed for the duration. As a club, we encourage loyalty." -Eurosport
They dont make this kind of players anymore. 21 years for Giggs. Most players havent a career that last 21 years. Impressive!!!

And Foreigner Limits, I not sure what I think here. Of course it sounds good but is this the best for the game? Or should we try to creat the best football with restrictions?
What I dont like is the modern slavery we're watching these days. No, not the one Mafia boss Blatter called Uniteds contract with Ronaldo but how top clubs around Europe is searching for children. The exploited of young africans, south americans and asians from poor backgrounds where the parents more or less sell their children. We're talking about children as young as 12-13. Its child trafficking in fancy clothes. But thats not a priority for FIFA, only what can threat the milking cow World Cup and future income. For Blatter it would be a disaster if England wouldnt make it till WC2010 when it comes to the FIFA income. So one wonder if all his statements is a sign of his concern of losing money and not what is serious problems for the football.

·
Registered
135 Posts
i dont know how well this foreigner limit might turn out. although it is amazing that United has loyal players like Giggs who can last 21 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts