Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who adores this man?

A true midfield general who never stops. FOR ANYONE.

He actually is quite good on the ball and can beat people on the dribble, which I shall demonstrate with a video on this.

I've been watching Milan for sometime now, as they are on TV pretty much every week, and I must say in all of my lifetime of watching football (that's 17 years now) there have been 2 people who have stood out for me as people who never stopped driving towards the victory, no matter the scoreline. One of them is Roy Keane, and the other is Gennaro Gattuso.

While I'm not comparing the two it must be said that the two of them definitely share the same petulance and passion for the game of football.

Perhaps Gattuso lacks the ability to hit that killer through-ball that Pirlo, Xavi and other deep lying midfielders have, but he more than makes up for that with his killer work-rate and ability to play in central defense and on the right side of midfield as well. He also has a venomous strike on the ball, which enables him to not only score from outrageous distances, but also clear the ball from danger and actually set up scoring opportunities from the long balls he hits, by hitting them over defenses and letting the smaller, speedier strikers run onto them.

Though he may not be the silkiest, smoothest player he's certainly a joy to watch. To watch "the snarling dog" run and run and run, and make tackle after crunching tackle is truly an experience I enjoy. He's a guy I'd love to have on my team, not only to do the dirty work, but to provide that much needed spark to inspire a team to stick it out and work harder.

Honors:

Club:
Serie A: 2004
Coppa Italia: 2003
Champions League: 2003, 2007
UEFA Super Cup: 2003, 2007
FIFA Club World Cup: 2007

World Cup: 2006
2006 FIFA World Cup "Team of the Tournament"
UEFA u-21 European Championship: 2000

·
Registered
601 Posts
Fergy has been after this player since he left rangers, but dont know why we didnt get him. It was ok though we had keane, but a great world class player. A viera, keane like player.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Nice work Pizza. Im also a great admirer of this man. He plays the game properly
and never gives up. He is my kind of player alright. Cheers for the write up.

Z

·
0 Posts
Over rated. He gets away with practically assaulting players on a weekly basis and I
don't know how :confused: He has no real technical skills of which to speak and instead
relies on brute force to bully his way through games. He's not a patch on players like
Keane, Makelele and in more recent times, Mascherano.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I'm with Blade on this one.

Gattuso is overrated, but I admire his passion and we could use some of that in the team right now. He has that Roy Keane fire in his belly, but the man can hardly complete a pass. On top of it he would get sent off quite often in the prem with his tackling, which is at times borderline dirty.

You;re right that he can beat players and dispossess them though.

I hear from my Milan friend that Gattuso is a humble guy and doesn't live in a lavish area or villa like the rest of the Milan squad, which I find endearing.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Blade said:
He gets away with practically assaulting players on a weekly basis and I
don't know how :confused: He has no real technical skills of which to speak and instead
relies on brute force to bully his way through games.
You know all the things you seem to dislike about Gattuso are pretty much the things that make him the great player he is. :)

Yes he doesn't really have technical ability as such but this is what makes him so useful to the Azzuri.

Italy rarely produce players who have the ability to physically dominate a match with such raw force.

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Overrated

can't pass cross shot even intercept a pass he just only depend on his thoroughness to cut the ball, he can't even tackle he just keep hitting the player on his legs so the player gave up the ball from the severe pain
just like what he did to Ronaldo in 2007 he gave him a hard time and a painful night as Ronaldo legs were full of knocks !

i like Gattuso and admire him for his passion and workrate but theres nothing special about him

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
IMO he is like Rooney. I don't mean the position or the skills. It is about his heart. We all admire Rooney . so I think we must also admire this man!!

·
VIDA !!! will murder you..
1,636 Posts
plz dont compare him with rooney he doesnt match with him on any scale and class..... well but if we need a very strong midfielder(physically) we can take him for that...... wont suit our type of play but....

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
To those that called him over rated.

He is a World cup winner. He bossed the midfield that allowed Pirlo to work his
magic. Gattuso is a team player and always gives everything. He even got into
the team of the tournament in 06 (in the greatest competition in the world)
so you can take you hats off to him now please. ;-)
He is a warrior who has won it all and is vital to a team like Milan.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
nirav said:
plz dont compare him with rooney he doesnt match with him on any scale and class.....
Funny ..........
piazza said:
Honors:

Club:
Serie A: 2004
Coppa Italia: 2003
Champions League: 2003, 2007
UEFA Super Cup: 2003, 2007
FIFA Club World Cup: 2007

World Cup: 2006
2006 FIFA World Cup "Team of the Tournament"
UEFA u-21 European Championship: 2000

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
and ahh there is a player who do what Gattuso do but 10 times better and he Lorick Cana :)

plus Cana attack much better as he score some screamers and give a plenty of assists also he gets a better position of the ball for the team than Gattuso ;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
abojodeh said:
and ahh there is a player who do what Gattuso do but 10 times better and he Lorick Cana :)

plus Cana attack much better as he score some screamers and give a plenty of assists also he gets a better position of the ball for the team than Gattuso ;)
OMG,
I hope it is a joke!!! :D

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
abojodeh said:
no its a fact :)
No its not Abo. You always get it in your head that certain players are ****
and others are amazing. You need to appreciate what every player brings to the table.

Cana has done nowt (although he is a good player) where as Gattuso has done
it all. He has won leagues, CL's and a WORLD CUP. He was integral to winning that.
How people can slate him is laughable. Ok he doesnt have the silkiest skills
and pin point accurate passing but who cares? He does things in games that
NO other player can do. He is the Italian Keano. Respect!

zoran_zlatanov said:
Now I see why you don't like Berbatov :)
You just don't like GOOD players :)
lol good one :D

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
zoran_zlatanov said:
Now I see why you don't like Berbatov :)
You just don't like GOOD players :)
no i like Berba
but Gattuso is not good Cana better ;)

Jazz 16 said:
No its not Abo. You always get it in your head that certain players are ****
and others are amazing.
You need to appreciate what every player brings to the table.

ok thats me :( ;)

Cana has done nowt (although he is a good player) where as Gattuso has done

since when winning trophies is something ?

it all. He has won leagues, CL's and a WORLD CUP.

so what O'shea won a ucl and other stuff

He was integral to winning that.

agree he was important for milan to win the ucl in 2007
but still nothing you said prove that hes a good footballer

How people can slate him is laughable. Ok he doesnt have the silkiest skills
and pin point accurate passing but who cares? He does things in games that
NO other player can do.

people slat Fletcher who have more skill in the tip of his finger ;)
Makelele had no passing skills etc.. but Maka had his own infleunce and Maka gives a fast paced edge to his team
and what Gattuso do can be done by any player for an example Rooney do what Gattuso does every game and we call it Fouling eh or atleast kicking the other player legs which any player can do

He is the Italian Keano. Respect!

so Butt is the english Keano ?? :confused:

There's only one Keano :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Abo-He was voted in the team of the tournament in the World Cup that they WON.
Thats enough in my eyes. You keep skipping over the fact he has done that.
O'Shea has won stuff as a squad player but has he been integral in Ireland
winning a World Cup? I ****ing wish lol but he hasnt.

You also say 'Since when is winning trophies something'? :eek:
err thats the end goal, trophies is everything. Would you be happy if United
came 2nd in the Prem and runer up in the CL? no you wouldnt.

Gattuso has won it all at Milan and for Italy. You cant deny that.
Its no fluke he was in these teams that were successful. He wa a vital cog in the machine.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
To those who say Gattuso has no skill, why don't we see more players like him?

For a while there, he was the best DMF in the world. In a two year span, his team won the World Cup, and the Champions League, which is hardly a coincidence. I think his best days are past him now, especially after having to play holding mid for 'dinho, Kaka, and Pirlo as no ones legs could hold up for that. That would leave any team open to get gashed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts