Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Proto-Hipster
46,961 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
You also say 'Since when is winning trophies something'? :eek:
err thats the end goal, trophies is everything. Would you be happy if United
came 2nd in the Prem and runer up in the CL? no you wouldnt.
winning trophies doesn't tell whether you are a good footballer or not

thats what i meant

and ahh lets see who will be the first choice this season Gattuso or Mat-Tuso (Flmini)

as recently Flamini is better the Gattuso

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Maybe so. Flamini is a very good player AND he is much younger.
The point of this thread was the recognise the achievements of a great player.
Gattuso is nearing the end of his career so comparisons to newer, younger
versions (Flamini) are a bit unfair. Thats why they bought Flamini, as Gattuso's replacement.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Did anyone of the haters here actually watch the last World Cup?

Like actually WATCH it?

There's a reason he made the World Cup All-Star team. Andrea Pirlo won 3 MOTM awards throughout the tournament, and there was a video, on youtube (which has since been taken down by Sky Italia) in which Pirlo thanks Gattuso for his tireless work, and leadership which enabled him to go do his thing.

A playmaker can't make plays without someone watching his back. Players would think twice before trying to harm a guy like Pirlo, when there's a bearded maniac stood right next to him.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Blade said:
Over rated. He gets away with practically assaulting players on a weekly basis and I don't know how He has no real technical skills of which to speak and instead relies on brute force to bully his way through games. He's not a patch on players like Keane, Makelele and in more recent times, Mascherano.
RedForceRising said:
I'm with Blade on this one.

Gattuso is overrated, but I admire his passion and we could use some of that in the team right now. He has that Roy Keane fire in his belly, but the man can hardly complete a pass. On top of it he would get sent off quite often in the prem with his tackling, which is at times borderline dirty.

You;re right that he can beat players and dispossess them though.

I hear from my Milan friend that Gattuso is a humble guy and doesn't live in a lavish area or villa like the rest of the Milan squad, which I find endearing.
abojodeh said:
Overrated

can't pass cross shot even intercept a pass he just only depend on his thoroughness to cut the ball, he can't even tackle he just keep hitting the player on his legs so the player gave up the ball from the severe pain
just like what he did to Ronaldo in 2007 he gave him a hard time and a painful night as Ronaldo legs were full of knocks !

but theres nothing special about him
I agree with the 3 above actually.

And they've covered it all that I think, so I'm not going to add anything.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Anyone doubting the man's toughness need only note that he played nearly a whole game with torn tendons in his knee.

·
The Mexican Boy George
7,601 Posts
technically he is rubbish, but people cannot deny that he is effective in destroying the oppositions midfield, his passion is also unbelievable.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
piazza said:
Am I the only one who adores this man?

A true midfield general who never stops. FOR ANYONE.

He actually is quite good on the ball and can beat people on the dribble, which I shall demonstrate with a video on this.

I've been watching Milan for sometime now, as they are on TV pretty much every week, and I must say in all of my lifetime of watching football (that's 17 years now) there have been 2 people who have stood out for me as people who never stopped driving towards the victory, no matter the scoreline. One of them is Roy Keane, and the other is Gennaro Gattuso.

While I'm not comparing the two it must be said that the two of them definitely share the same petulance and passion for the game of football.

Perhaps Gattuso lacks the ability to hit that killer through-ball that Pirlo, Xavi and other deep lying midfielders have, but he more than makes up for that with his killer work-rate and ability to play in central defense and on the right side of midfield as well. He also has a venomous strike on the ball, which enables him to not only score from outrageous distances, but also clear the ball from danger and actually set up scoring opportunities from the long balls he hits, by hitting them over defenses and letting the smaller, speedier strikers run onto them.

Though he may not be the silkiest, smoothest player he's certainly a joy to watch. To watch "the snarling dog" run and run and run, and make tackle after crunching tackle is truly an experience I enjoy. He's a guy I'd love to have on my team, not only to do the dirty work, but to provide that much needed spark to inspire a team to stick it out and work harder.

Honors:

Club:
Serie A: 2004
Coppa Italia: 2003
Champions League: 2003, 2007
UEFA Super Cup: 2003, 2007
FIFA Club World Cup: 2007

World Cup: 2006
2006 FIFA World Cup "Team of the Tournament"
UEFA u-21 European Championship: 2000
Anybody who doesn't rate Guttuso clearly has a different view/opinion to football than i do. I think he's an amazing tallent, imagine him in middle for us.... Essien and Mascherano would be left on the dance floor after every tackle.
I love a player like this and we miss that bite in midfield.
Every team needs a donkey. But Guttuso is a Golden horse if you ask me!!!

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Do I think gattuso is a world class footballer No!! do I think he has world class work rate hell yes !!!

Gattuso would of made it into any team because of his non stop work rate . But and there is a but now he is getting older his football ability is being found out.

Viva gattuso

one of fergies top players he wanted so Ive heard.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
thing is with gattuso. i am a massive fan of him. a huge talent but i think theirs one thing with him that most people dont see imo. i think to be the world class talent he is known as he needs some around him in the centre to reach his level. thing is at milan is where his made his name and he has such amazing playmakers around him in that centre like pirlo and kaka.

i think he would of been just as good with us with paul scholes to his side.

but put him in a midfield where he is the one who needs to pull all the strings and him alone i think you would see a very different gattuso to the amazing one were used to

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Clarky101 said:
thing is with gattuso. i am a massive fan of him. a huge talent but i think theirs one thing with him that most people dont see imo. i think to be the world class talent he is known as he needs some around him in the centre to reach his level. thing is at milan is where his made his name and he has such amazing playmakers around him in that centre like pirlo and kaka.
i think he would of been just as good with us with paul scholes to his side.

but put him in a midfield where he is the one who needs to pull all the strings and him alone i think you would see a very different gattuso to the amazing one were used to
That's his job, to protect those types of players, like you said, and I'd like anyone reading this to show me someone better at doing it, the playmaker can't make plays without the ball, and Gattuso wins the ball better than anyone else, him and Pirlo, imo have been the best central midfield combination in the world for some time now, and they were on par with Keane and Scholes in my estimation.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts