Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ben Foster's agent has exclusively revealed to setantasports.com that the Manchester United goalkeeper could welcome the chance to become a part of Harry Redknapp's revolution at Tottenham Hotspur.

A report on Wednesday morning claimed that Redknapp has immediately targeted current number one Heurelho Gomes as a weak link in the Spurs side and that Foster – who won an England cap against Spain in 2007 – is top of his list to replace the Brazilian.

The 25-year-old has suffered from a string of injuries at Old Trafford and appears to be Sir Alex Ferguson's third-choice goalkeeper at present behind Edwin van der Sar and Tomasz Kuszczak.

Now Foster's agent, Lee Payne, has confirmed that his client could be open to a move to North London that was first mooted over the summer, but his priority remains succeeding in Manchester.

“Ben needs to play and he wants to do that at Manchester United, but if the option was given for him to do it elsewhere then he would jump at it,†Payne told setantasports.com.

“I haven't heard anything directly from Tottenham, there was speculation in the summer and via via via there was some contact, but as for this latest interest until there is actually contact between the clubs you just take it as speculation.

“He is at a massive club and I think he wants to prove that he can play at a massive club like Manchester United.

“He is very happy at Manchester United but the one thing I would say at the moment is that he is absolutely straining at the leash to play.

“He says he feels that he is on fire at the moment and he wants to play. He would be interested if it meant going and playing basically.â€

It has been suggested that Foster could well go out on loan again after spending two successful spells with Watford, and the player's agent has admitted this could be an option if he fails to increase his first team chances at Old Trafford.

“Definitely possible,†Payne added. “He missed all of last season, he was worked so hard to get back now and he is fitter and stronger than he has ever been.

“He just wants to play now and he is straining at the leash to play now and he would definitely be ready.â€
me personally dont unserstand why hes not playing
he should of come on against hammers

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I think Foster will have to wait for VDS to retire before he really gets a chance at United so a loan move in January would be a good idea imo.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts
I wouldn't mind giving them Forster and signing Gomes
lol! Gomes is probably the worst keeper in the PL.

Besides that, he'll end up killing Ferdinand/Vidic, how many times has he knee'd Corluka in the face and punched King in the face!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
[/B]End Of Gomes? As Spurs Boss Redknapp Reveals Interest In £7million Given
Submitted by Jake Briggs on Tue, 2008-11-04 18:03. Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United Premiership Transfer News

Tottenham Hotspur could make a January move for Newcastle United goalkeeper Shay Given (below), with new Spurs boss Harry Redknapp not convinced by current White Hart Lane No 1, Brazilian International Heurelho Gomes after a series of high profile blunders in his fledgling Premier League career to date.

Recent reports have linked the North London club, with England International's Robert Green at West Ham United and Ben Foster at Premiership Champions Manchester United, but former Portsmouth manager Redknapp has now revealed that he would be interested in the 32-year-old Republic of Ireland International Given, if the keeper should become available.

Redknapp said: “Shay Given is a great goalkeeper who I admire. Any manager would have to be interested in him if he became available.â€

Sources close to Given, who started his career at SPL side Celtic have claimed that the stopper, while happy at the Magpies has not a single trophy to show for his 15-years as a professional and is ready to leave St James' Park, with United owner Mike Ashley eager to cash in on any assets at Newcastle before he sells the North East club.

A close friend of Given said: “Shay is widely regarded as one, if not the best, goalkeeper in the Premier League.

“Yet he has nothing to show for his ability as he has not won a major trophy in his entire career.

“He has always stated he is happy at Newcastle but the simple fact of the matter is he wants to win things. Although it will hurt him to do so, he is ready to leave Newcastle to achieve that.

“And he would be more than happy to go to a club like Tottenham where the club's potential under Harry is clearly enormous.â€

Whether Spurs make an offer for Given, who would cost in the region of £7million, or indeed Green or Foster in January remains to be seen, but it appears that Redknapp has targeted the goalkeeper position at White Hart Lane as one department that needs strengthening, with Gomes almost certain to become an early casualty of the Redknapp era at Spurs.

http://www.premiershiplatest.com/news/end-gomes-spurs-boss-redknapp-reveals-in-5515347.html

So if this is true Ben Foster wont be going to Spurs..... whats do you think? Harry is a master in the transfer market over the last 3/4 years!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
i don't think Given will leave Newcastle
hes a legend there with more than 10 years playing and allot of matches

Given is class

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
abojodeh said:
i don't think Given will leave Newcastle
hes a legend there with more than 10 years playing and allot of matches

Given is class
I think you are right Abo but he has got to move on, Harry might be the man to convince him too!
Spurs have 2 things going against them in trying to get Given on board

1. If Irishman Joe Kinnear stays on as Newcastle boss the Irish connection might be enough to make Given stay
2. Spurs might not be big enough for him to leave the club he loves ( I know ) Newcastle! Maybe only a Champions league team will make him leave

But i rate Shay Given top 3 premier league keepers.... any manager that worked with him say he is the best.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Foster is going nowhere.

Id love to see Given go to Spurs. harry could well build a top 4 side for next season.
Id love Shay to be a part of a very good team lol.
he has served his time at Newcastle. He deserves a change and a new challenge.
They couldnt and shouldnt deny him that. He is in his prime and supremely fit, as well as
being one of the best in the business.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I would love it too......... he has more than done enough at Newcastle and he could play at any Level

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
I think you are right Abo but he has got to move on, Harry might be the man to convince him too!
Spurs have 2 things going against them in trying to get Given on board

1. If Irishman Joe Kinnear stays on as Newcastle boss the Irish connection might be enough to make Given stay
2. Spurs might not be big enough for him to leave the club he loves ( I know ) Newcastle! Maybe only a Champions league team will make him leave

But i rate Shay Given top 3 premier league keepers.... any manager that worked with him say he is the best.
i think he will join Celtic when ever Boruc leaves the bhoys

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
abojodeh said:
i think he will join Celtic when ever Boruc leaves the bhoys
he was originally at celtic doubt hed go back, playing spl would ruin his career

hel only ever leave if one of the big boys come in, and there is a small chance we might be in the market for a keeper this summer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts