Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's Domenech thinking? He's left out Mexes and Flamini.

If there are two coaches on the face of the planet that I don't think anyone will ever truly understand, they're Domenech and Aragones.

In what bizarre world do you leave out one of the best center backs in the Serie A (Mexes) & pick a center back who

Juventus deemed wasn't good enough to even play in the Serie A and pushed off to Lyon (Boumsong)?

Of course I mean maybe I'm being harsh to Boumsong, after all when you think of the great defensive partnerships

who can forget the mighty Boumsong & Titus Bramble era at St James Park? Now there was a partnership to be feared. If they were playing for your team. :D

I can understand leaving out Flamini a little more since France already have three defensive mids. Still the Wenger Vs Domenech debate lives on.

Both coaches have managed Flamini & Diarra. Wenger obviously prefers Flamini & Domenech prefers Diarra. Go figure.

I personally think Diarra is more aggressive and provides more attacking impetus.

Anybody have any opinions on which coach is correct, Wenger (Flamini) or Domenech (Diarra)?

Also as I wrap things up looking at the squad Domenech appears to have three defensive mids and two left wingers, one of whom is quite out of form.

He has one attacking mid in Nasri who's been injured most of the season & no discernible right wingers unless Sidney Govou can play out of position. Strange.

This will be the 800th time I've said this now but what is with the explosion of defensive mids. At his age Nasri will probably be used sparingly meaning

France will be yet another team playing with two defensive mids in the center of the park. Come back Zidane, the world needs you. :)

Full French squad below.

Goalkeepers: Gregory Coupet (Lyon), Sebastien Frey (Fiorentina/ITA), Steve Mandanda (Marseille)

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Barcelona/ESP), Patrice Evra (Manchester United/ENG), William Gallas (Arsenal/ENG), Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich/GER), Lilian Thuram (Barcelona/ESP),

Francois Clerc (Lyon), Sebastien Squillaci (Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Lyon)

Midfielders: Lassana Diarra (Portsmouth/ENG), Claude Makelele (Chelsea/ENG), Jeremy Toulalan (Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan/ITA), Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich/GER), Samir Nasri (Marseille)

Forwards:: Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea/ENG), Thierry Henry (Barcelona/ESP), Florent Malouda (Chelsea/ENG), Karim Benzema (Lyon), Sidney Govou (Lyon), Bafetimbi Gomis (St Etienne)

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
never mind mexes - but he left out ben arfa and flamini - thus having been left with only 4 midfielders

·
Registered
2 Posts
For Flamini, we have Viera, Makélélé, Toulalan...and Domenech prefer Lassana Diarra, because he can play at differents places, and he is in love with him, his agressivity.
For Mexes, he play in Italy, and that's for a lot in the Domenech choice, and he have a Knee Injury since his final in the coppa Italia.
You're right, Domenech is often ununderstable, but always efficient.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Vieira picked up a thigh problem prior to Les Bleus’ warmup match against Paraguay on Saturday evening, and was forced to sit out the 0-0 draw.

The 31-year-old received medical treatment to the injury on Saturday, however he has reportedly not responded too well, and could be out for at least a few weeks, which would almost certainly mean missing Euro 2008.

New AC Milan midfielder Mathieu Flamini, who surprisingly was snubbed of a place in the squad, has now been called up by coach Raymond Domenech to act as the 24th man until a definite decision is made on whether to keep Vieira, which must be made by June 8.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts