Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Les Bleus will host Fabio Capello's men at the Stade de France on Wednesday March 26, the day after an 'A' squad faces Mali in the capital.

Arsenal quartet Gael Clichy, William Gallas, Bacary Sagna, Mathieu Flamini are included alongside Chelsea trio Claude Makelele, Nicolas Anelka and Florent Malouda.

Manchester United duo Patrice Evra and Louis Saha are also named, with Lassana Diarra (Portsmouth) completing the English-based contingent.

Former Arsenal duo Patrick Vieira and Thierry Henry, now at Inter Milan and Barcelona respectively, are also in the squad but there is no place for David Trezeguet.

The Juventus ace, the leading scorer in Serie A, refuses to take part in 'A' fixtures, a stance that means he is unlikely to play at Euro 2008.

Domenech has also called up four new players.

In-form Lyon midfielder Matthieu Bodmer, 25, and 23-year-old forward Mathieu Valbuena of Marseille have earned their first call-ups as have centre-backs Mathieu Delpierre of Stuttgart, 26, and 22-year-old Adil Rami of Lille.

"I wanted to broaden the squad," said Domenech.

"I wanted to have the maximum number of players to keep my options open and to cover potential injuries that may occur.

"There are a couple of minor injuries so this is a preventative measure. So if somebody calls up on Sunday and says they can't play, it is not a problem.

"Everybody who needs to be on the list is on it. There are no surprises."

On Trezeguet, Domenech said: "It is the same as last time. I talked to him, listened to him, and I know him well. There is no point kicking up a fuss.

"If we need him, it's possible I will call him. That's possible, and I'm not closing the door on him."

The match against England is dominating the thoughts of Domenech, who has previously spoken out against the decision to appoint Italian Capello as manager.

Domenech commented about the same issue again on Thursday, saying: "Let me repeat, I never criticised Capello.

"I know him - he's an excellent coach and a nice guy.

"I never doubted his abilities as a coach. It is just on a personal note, I see it happening in England and I fear it could happen in France.

"I hope France never hire a foreign coach.

"But Capello is doing excellent work. I noticed in his first match (against Switzerland) that England's team work has improved.

"It will be a tough match for us, against their Italian-style organisation."

David Beckham has been included in the England squad to face France in a friendly next week - and will be hoping to win his 100th cap in Paris.

Beckham, who plays for LA Galaxy, was included in Fabio Capello's provisional 30-man squad on Thursday.

Arsenal forward Theo Walcott and Middlesbrough's central defender David Wheater have also been called up.

Portsmouth striker Jermain Defoe has also been included while Chelsea pair John Terry and Frank Lampard, who missed Capello's first game in charge due to injury, are also there.

Those named in Capello's first 30-man squad in January who miss out this time are Micah Richards and Curtis Davies, both injured, as well as Ledley King, Nicky Shorey, Michael Carrick and Emile Heskey.

Capello has not named his captain against France - he has said he wants to try different players before deciding on a permanent choice.

Steven Gerrard wore the armband against Switzerland last month and Terry or Rio Ferdinand are the favourites for this game.

Los Angeles Galaxy president and general manager Alexi Lalas insisted Beckham is fit and "ready to go".

"He's a great player and I think he would help any national team in the world," said Lalas. "At the Galaxy we are so proud having any of our players called up, especially David because it could be his 100th cap."

As for Beckham's fitness, former USA international Lalas said on Sky Sports News: "I'm telling you right now, you are getting a player who is healthy, fit, motivated and ready to help England. He's ready to go."

Walcott, meanwhile, said on his club's website: "I celebrated my 19th birthday on Sunday, so the call-up is a great birthday present for me.

"I'm looking forward to meeting up with all of the lads after the weekend's game."

France Squad:

Goalkeepers: Coupet (Lyon), Frey (Fiorentina), Landreau (Paris St Germain), Mandanda (Marseille).

Defenders: Abidal (Barcelona), Boumsong (Lyon), Clerc (Lyon), Clichy (Arsenal), Delpierre (Stuttgart), Escude (Sevilla), Evra (Manchester United), Gallas (Arsenal), Givet (Marseille), Mexes (Roma), Rami (Lille), Sagna (Arsenal), Squillaci (Lyon), Thuram (Barcelona).

Midfielders: Bodmer (Lyon), Alou Diarra (Bordeaux), Lassana Diarra (Portsmouth), Flamini (Arsenal), Makelele (Chelsea), Mavuba (Lille), Nasri (Marseille), Rothen (Paris St Germain), Toulalan (Lyon), Vieira (Inter Milan).

Strikers: Anelka (Chelsea), Ben-Arfa (Lyon), Benzema (Lyon), Briand (Rennes), Cisse (Marseille), Govou (Lyon), Henry (Barcelona), Malouda (Chelsea), Ribery (Bayern Munich), Saha (Manchester United), Valbuena (Marseille).

England's Squad:

Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Scott Carson (Aston Villa), Chris Kirkland (Wigan).

Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), David Wheater (Middlesbrough), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), John Terry (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Everton), Matthew Upson (West Ham), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham).

Midfielders: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough), David Bentley (Blackburn), Shaun Wright-Phillips (Chelsea).

Forwards: Michael Owen (Newcastle), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth).

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
^^^^keep the writing to normal sizes would you Abo?:rolleyes:

This should be a great game. Im happy for Bex who should get his 100th cap.
He deserves it. Even though its just a friendly, I think both teams will be well
up for this one. Cmon France!!!:D

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Yeah 11 strikers and no Trezeguet. Thats amazing. Wish we had their striker options!

although Ribery and Malouda aren't proper strikers

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I PRAY FOR NO INJURIES!! I was happy in a sense Carrick did not get picked so Scholes and Carrick can play vs Aston Villa because they will be fresh!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Wonder why Domenech keeps ignoring Trezeguet? Trezeguet seems to be one of those players who never gets the plaudits, no matter what he does. I remember even when he was a world cup winner in 1998 people described him & Youri Djorkaeff as the worst striking partnership France has ever had. Then they went on to win the cup. On current form if anybody should be on the bench it's Thierry Henry. Playing as a winger seems to have dulled his instincts for goal. Playing alongside Benzema this is exceptionally noticeable.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Trezeguet said that he is not too bothered as has won everything there is to win at international level with France.

Perhaps he is just past it now and there are younger, better players to choose from.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
David Beckham will find out later on Saturday if he has made Fabio Capello's revised England squad. The England boss will trim his squad from 30 to 23 players at 2030 GMT. David Beckham won a recall to the England squad ahead of the friendly with France in Paris on 26 March and is hoping to win his 100th cap. LA Galaxy midfielder Beckham was omitted from Capello's first squad, for February's 2-1 friendly win over Switzerland.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
It amazes me just how much depth and quality the French squad has.
Should be a good game though. Hopefully more entertaining than the crap i had to watch when we played Switzerland :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29 Posts
dlan4327 said:
Wonder why Domenech keeps ignoring Trezeguet? Trezeguet seems to be one of those players who never gets the plaudits, no matter what he does. I remember even when he was a world cup winner in 1998 people described him & Youri Djorkaeff as the worst striking partnership France has ever had. Then they went on to win the cup. On current form if anybody should be on the bench it's Thierry Henry. Playing as a winger seems to have dulled his instincts for goal. Playing alongside Benzema this is exceptionally noticeable.
Perhaps because France don't normally take friendly matches overly-seriously and see it as an opportunity to try out new players, positions and tactics, which is how it should be. Trezeguet is a cracking player and has always put in the effort whether at club or international level. I had the same initial thoughts as you, but then I realised that Domenech will probably want to try someone else out in that position for long-term ambitions.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Barry: Hargreaves And I Can Co-Operate

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=632194

Aston Villa midfielder Gareth Barry feels that he and Manchester United man Owen Hargreaves are different enough in style to be able to offer Fabio Capello's England something good together...

Barry revealed that he and Hargreaves had been able to co-operate together before, and that they can do so again.

The 27-year-old told The Daily Mail, "I've been in a few under-21 squads with Owen years back and this year when he's been in the England squad.

"You get compared to any player who plays in your certain position.

"I don't think we are similar players. We play in the same sort of position - or that's where the England manager sees us - but we can both do different jobs and I'm sure we can play together too."

Experience

Although Barry debuted for the Three Lions almost a decade ago, he admitted that the experience of playing under a new manager unnerved him.

But the Aston Villa captain added that the experience of facing Switzerland under new boss Fabio Capello helped to settle his nerves.

He said, "The last time around I was pretty nervous with it being a new manager because they always have different ideas from a previous regime.

"But once you're in, it settles you down and I was pretty confident I would get back in this squad.

"At the same time you can never rest on your laurels and you should never presume it's going to happen."

Beckham

With media attention turning towards Beckham's 010th cap, he added, "A lot of the headlines building up to the game will be about David Beckham but on certain occasions like this, Beckham winning his 100th cap deserves the headlines.

"It's not often that a player achieves something like that and anyone being a part of it will be proud to be there when he gets to the milestone.

"Captaincy? There's been a lot of speculation and the manager may want to try a few different captains. I'm not really that bothered about it.

"You can name so many players who are candidates or who have got a possibility. I'm not going to choose anyone.

"A number of the squad are captains at their club and who do the job well so it would be unfair to just single one out.

"There are also players in there that have captained their country before.

"I've not thought about it at all really. I'm sure anyone who turns down an England captaincy would be foolish."

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rooney And Lampard May Miss England Game

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=632830

England boss Fabio Capello may have to do without both Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard for Wednesday's friendly in France as the after effects of Sunday's big four clashes emerge.

Manchester United striker Rooney will have a scan on his knee today after he picked up a knock during Sunday's 3-0 win over Liverpool.

Doctors at Old Trafford seem to think the injury will keep him out of the midweek friendly in Paris.

"Rooney has a problem and was limping at the end," commented United boss Sir Alex Ferguson after yesterday's game. "We will have a look at it, but we don't want to make any decisions at this stage."

Lampard's Hip And Miss

Meanwhile Frank Lampard has admitted his chances don't look good after damaging his hip during the 2-1 win over Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.

"I got a knock on my hip in the first half and it was pretty painful all the way through," said the midfielder. "I'm going to report with England and I just hope it's okay."

Lampard missed Capello's first game in charge with a thigh injury.

Keeper Change

Elsewhere, Capello has had to make further alterations to his squad, calling up West Ham's Robert Green to replace the injured Chris Kirkland.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Goalkeepers: David James (Portsmouth), Paul Robinson (Tottenham Hotspur), Robert Green (West Ham)
Defenders: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea), Wes Brown (Manchester United), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Joleon Lescott (Everton), John Terry (Chelsea), Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham Hotspur)
Midfielders: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Gareth Barry (AstonVilla), Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United), Joe Cole (Chelsea), David Bentley (Blackburn Rovers), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), David Beckham (LA Galaxy), Stewart Downing (Middlesbrough) Forwards: Michael Owen (Newcastle United), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Theo Walcott (Arsenal)

How the hell is Robinson in this squad?? He is absolutely dire at present. It just goes to show how hard up we are for keepers. Foster should be been the replacement.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts