Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else getting a bit tired of Ronaldo's free kicks? I know what he can do and the free kicks that he does score are great! But am I the only one who thinks that he wastes a lot more than most free kick takers would. For every one that he blasts into the top corener he hits ten into the wall. Or at least it seems that way.

I dunno, maybe I'm being too harsh. I love Ronaldo as a player but I do think his free taking is severely overrated.

If, like me, you would change the free taker, who would you look at?

Giggs?
Tevez?
Rooney?

I remember watching Tevez taking free kicks for West Ham and for Boca, he was unbelievably good at them. He never really got a chance with us. Giggs too always seems to at least work the goalkeeper.

Please don't kill me for starting this thread. LOL, Just something to contemplate.

·
Registered
542 Posts
ronaldoooo is great at freekicks... i think he just needs to work on it a lickel more.

the only person i can think is tevez i mitte be wrong but at west ham he had a good freekick record no?

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
Same problem as Beckham when he had a bad spell of free kicks everyone was screaming giggs !!

Giggs can only hit them from the right of the box so he can curl them with his left.

Keep ronaldo hitting them he hit the target twice yesterday !!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Now that Ronaldo is FINALLY starting to find his range, it should be him from further out, but from close range it should be

Giggs
Berbatov
Tevez

in that order.

It it getting on my nerves to see a close-range free kick taken by Ronaldo with his retarded gun-slinger pose. Don't his team mates rib him because of that? Would he start crying if they did.

Back on point.

Rooney scored a free kick on his debut. Tevez and Berba took and scored free kicks and their respective clubs. Why are they bowing down to the winker, who has a hit ratio of 5% ?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
You can't score free kicks every game mate, Teams rarely score free kicks.
Ronaldo came close yedterday, I still think he is the man for the job!!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
You guys are forgetting Hargreaves! Granted he's out for the season, but when he's not... v Arsenal and Fulham come to mind. Not to mention he was the free kick taker for FC Vacuum (a.k.a. Hollywood a.k.a. Munich). Ronaldo can take the long range free kicks, Hargo the closer range free kicks from the left side, and Giggs from the right.

·
"You're Pretty Good"
15,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RedForceRising said:
Now that Ronaldo is FINALLY starting to find his range, it should be him from further out, but from close range it should be

Giggs
Berbatov
Tevez

in that order.

It it getting on my nerves to see a close-range free kick taken by Ronaldo with his retarded gun-slinger pose. Don't his team mates rib him because of that? Would he start crying if they did.

Back on point.

Rooney scored a free kick on his debut. Tevez and Berba took and scored free kicks and their respective clubs. Why are they bowing down to the winker, who has a hit ratio of 5% ?!?!?!?!?!
Great point and I actually forgot to include that in my original post. IIRC Roma used to do something similar with Francesco Totti. He'd take the long ranges frees, where he's blast them and give the short range frees to whoever. Beckham/Roberto Carlos/Zidane did something like that in Madrid too.

It should not be all Ronaldo, I never get the feeling that he's going to score like you would with most great free takers.

Here's how I would set it up.

Long Range

Ronaldo

Short range

Left Footed free's - Giggs
Right footed frees - Tevez/Berbatov or when healthy Owen Hargreaves.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Grif SA said:
You guys are forgetting Hargreaves! Granted he's out for the season, but when he's not... v Arsenal and Fulham come to mind. Not to mention he was the free kick taker for FC Vacuum (a.k.a. Hollywood a.k.a. Munich). Ronaldo can take the long range free kicks, Hargo the closer range free kicks from the left side, and Giggs from the right.
But i didn't ;)

·
Registered
135 Posts
i totally agree with u redforce. Ronaldo should be used for kicks from a distance. I think Giggs or Tevez should take the closer ones. haha u also hit another point, Ronaldo's retarded stance. Im surprised the wall doesnt snicker at him while he is getting ready.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Their wall doesn't snicker at Ronaldo because they know that 9 out of 10 times he'll hit the wall. They don't want to get hurt. ;)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
apoorv421 said:
i totally agree with u redforce. Ronaldo should be used for kicks from a distance. I think Giggs or Tevez should take the closer ones. haha u also hit another point, Ronaldo's retarded stance. Im surprised the wall doesnt snicker at him while he is getting ready.

They are too afraid of getting hit by the ball to laugh ;)

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Tevez scored the mighty number of 1 goals from free kicks for West Ham!!

Look Fergie has told Ronaldo to talk them, so i trust him!

When Hargo is fit then he can take the close range free kicks.
Everybody knows that!!!

Ronaldo long
Hargo short
Thats the way it is!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
i think rooney too
he scored from a free kick on his debut

shot range-hargo
long range-ronaldo

till hargo is fit,all ronaldo!!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
TheFutureIsAnderson said:
Here's how I would set it up.

Long Range

Ronaldo

Short range

Left Footed free's - Giggs
Right footed frees - Tevez/Berbatov or when healthy Owen Hargreaves.
Who can forget THAT glorious effort against l'arse.

I went mental when Hargo scored. It was a vital moment last season. Hopefully Tosic can come on late in some games and have that kind of effect...

oh yeah

Zoran Tosic. Our new signing. You all must have seen the clips by now, but go check it again. I don't care if it's YouTube. A free kick is a free kick and even with a prem wall and the best kepers some free-kicks just can't be saved.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
VaVaVoom said:
Tevez scored the mighty number of 1 goals from free kicks for West Ham!!

Look Fergie has told Ronaldo to talk them, so i trust him!

When Hargo is fit then he can take the close range free kicks.
Everybody knows that!!!

Ronaldo long
Hargo short
Thats the way it is!!
How many did he take though?

And how many does Ronaldo take and not even hit the target?

·
Registered
605 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Who can forget THAT glorious effort against l'arse.

I went mental when Hargo scored. It was a vital moment last season. Hopefully Tosic can come on late in some games and have that kind of effect...

oh yeah

Zoran Tosic. Our new signing. You all must have seen the clips by now, but go check it again. I don't care if it's YouTube. A free kick is a free kick and even with a prem wall and the best kepers some free-kicks just can't be saved.

ya tosic!!

he could be a good short range free kick taker like hargreaves

Z

·
0 Posts
I remember making a thread like this on another forum and he then scored two free kicks in the very next game :eek:

I would like a bit of variety though. Hargreaves would be my number one choice from close range but he's obviously out for the season :(

I wouldn't mind seeing Tevez or Berbatov have a crack at them, I'm sure they scored a few each for West Ham and Spurs respectively.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts