Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you may or may not know, there is a company that donates rice for the hungry. The Free Rice thread goes into detail about what it is and how it works.

This has become pretty popular, and so I decided to come up with a contest. With "Mod" approval, we are going to run a contest starting Monday, Dec. 3 until midnight December 10th (Basically starting at the stroke of midnight that starts the date of the 3rd until the stroke of midnight that ends the 9th). The contest has 2 prizes, a major and minor. The minor prize is 250 vcash to the winner (Woo!), but more importantly, it puts food on a plate for hungry people around the world.

Anyone can participate in the contest. All it takes is to go to www.freerice.com. Put in your efforts. When you finish, take a screenshot of your progress and email it to me ([email protected]). For those of you who just thought, "Bah! I don't know anything about computers. This contest is too hard." Rest assured that taking a screenshot is very easy (even Carly learned how to do it in no time! Haha!). A very easy to follow guide (in English, not fancy technical terms) can be found by clicking here. Note: In step 7 it says "In the Save as Type field..." - please select JPG - this will make a small file size and not overload my email space! Thanks :)

I will try to keep a daily total of what the highest amount is, but not who that person is. At the end of the contest I will post the results and announce the winner.

If this ends up being a success, we will do weekly contests until either everyone stops, or we cure world hunger! :) Feel free to ask any questions. Good luck all!

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I'm not going to participate in this competition as I am at school 5 days a week and don't have access to this site.......

However...I will still continue to visit the site everyday......2000 grains already......

Good luck with the comp..........carly is odds on favourite..........lol.........:)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[Today 11:09 PM] Keano4taoiseach: zane is it the one screenshot for the comp...as in the one session....??
[Today 11:09 PM] PrinceZane: yeah, sorry, once per session
[Today 11:10 PM] Keano4taoiseach: so you submit your highest session....or all your sessions......??
[Today 11:10 PM] PrinceZane: Several sessions per day is fine, but if you have 20 grains, send a screen shot, get 20 more, send another screenshot, you have 40, not 60 (even though the 2 screenshots show 20 and 40)

... I'm basing this on the honor system here. Yes its really easy to cheat for those who put a few seconds of effort into figuring out how. Just remember, karma can suck sometimes ;) Hope this clears things up for everyone :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Carly in a PM said:
If everyone who competes goes to the rice word page......then sets the options every time they go there - their running total is remembered...One screenshot at the beginning to show what total they are on - then one more screenshot at the end.......subtract one from the other and you have their total for the week
Thanks carly! Everyone: This is how the contest will work. The first screenshot will be the starting point (in case you have done some previous donations), the 2nd will be the end point. Any additional screenshots (i.e. more than 2) will be ignored and the higher total will be chosen.

Also, since I didn't specify whether it was US or UK time for midnight... consider the contest started 45 mins ago! Get to ricing!

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Red Devil said:
why do we have two threads on this, one sticky??
We like sticky rice :D

One is a sticky to show the site to people - asking them to help out.

Then we have another one for the weekly competition Zane proposes.

He will post running totals and messages etc etc about each competition in this one.

Same subject I know but he thought it would be better to keep competitions seperate from the Advertising thread :p

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
carlyluvsunited said:
Any scores yet Zane :confused:

You show me yours and I show you mine ;)
Well, you definitely put up a stiff competition...

<_<

No updates for today as my PM box was full and I got a couple emails saying it was full and I couldn't receive any messages. This has been taken care of (sorry all!)

Please resend the screenshots and I'll tally things up :)

This is when I normally get home and settled after work, so expect the daily updates around this time

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe we should change it to top 3 for prize if Carly is going to blow everyone away like this, haha

Z

·
0 Posts
Well I think nobody has a chance to catch you carly, but it doesn't really matter because what you are doing for charity is great, so keep it up! :)

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
-zuco- said:
I've only got 4220 so far!! Carly you have way too much free time!
I don't really as I have already started my new job....

But I do MAKE time for this.....

If I watch TV I have my laptop with me and click away.....

When I eat my food I sit and click away.....

For 30 minutes when I wake up I do this.....

And the last 30 minutes before I go to sleep I do this too....

And if I have a spare 10, 20, 30 minutes at any time - you got it ;)

I click, click away !!!

Surely everyone does this ?

How can you not do it when people are dying of starvation !!!!

Every little helps www.tesco.co.uk

(Credit for Tescos before AJ has a fit :p )

So let's get on with it !!!

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
-zuco- said:
Well I think nobody has a chance to catch you carly, but it doesn't really matter because what you are doing for charity is great, so keep it up! :)
Well done to you too :)

The amount each person does is irrelevant here ....

As a group though we can make a big difference to some peoples lives :)

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Cheers

How is the new job? Early start! Good to see you've entered the working class, perhaps we'll not get as many posts as we normally get from you. When did you start? Unless you work 2 hours a day we will miss you here!

·
Banned
4,956 Posts
Ajant said:
Cheers

How is the new job? Early start! Good to see you've entered the working class, perhaps we'll not get as many posts as we normally get from you. When did you start? Unless you work 2 hours a day we will miss you here!
Oh they have enlisted me into the full time work world now, lol.

Working 9-5 what a way to earn a living :eek:

As the song goes :D

Maybe the posts will drop off but not too far :eek:

I set the alarm early to get a bit of rice :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts