Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering there's people from all around the globe how about we share our own colloquial phrases etc.. I think Ireland must have the most so the Irish guys will prob contribute to this the most.. there's some really funny ones that people from one part of Ireland wont have a clue what some1 from another part of Ireland is talking about.. let alone foreigners!!

So add your's and give the translation.. I'm certain no1 can beat the Irish for these! Some are hilarious!

Just some from the top of my head..

I went to college with a guy from the middle of nowhere in Limerick and he loved tea.. which he called 'a mug of shcalled'

'thats about the height of the craic' means thats about everything to say on the matter!

'thats the crack said she with her leg on the mantlepiece'! means yeah thats pretty much everything I have to add !

'I'm sweating like a rapist at a court hearing' / 'I feel like a paedophile in a nursery (or my fave in a barney suit)' means its rather warm!

'I'll see ya when I get me glasses' means I look forward to our next meeting!

I cant think of any more right now but there are so many funny ones! and any1 else hearing them havent a clue what they're talking about!
Any1 any funny one's to add?

·
Registered
550 Posts
'Deids' - Awesome

'Swak' - Not cool in a I-lent-him-money-yesterday-and-he-refuses-to-lend-any-to-me kind of way.

'Doos' - [censored]

'Boer maak 'n plan' - Make it happen

Most South African colloquial phrases are straight from Afrikaans, used in English because Afrikaans is the worst language ever.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forever_United said:
****ney slang mate. beat that !
I suppose if you gave some examples it might 'beat that' I know a lot of them.. a 'Tom Hank' is my favourite!

There's about 20 different nationalites on this thing give us a few phrases there heads?!

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I personally love rhyming slang. Don't use it but still... I'm waiting for the day it becomes socially acceptable in Sydney. Could be a while... :)

"We're in a right lot of Barney"

*Blank Looks*

"Barney Rubble?"

*Still Blank*

"Trouble"

"Ahhh..." :D

I love that scene from Ocean's 11.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forever_United said:
sweating like black man at a white power rally :D
ha ha!!

Still not as funny as Sweating like a rapist at a court hearing!

Or sweating like a p[aeodophile in a Barney suit!

S

·
0 Posts
"uglier than the south bound end of a north bound donkey"

"uglier than a burnt stump"

"prettier than a blue-nosed mule."

"uglier than the east end of a horse headed west"

"cuter than a speckled pup"

"he looks like the dog's been keepin' him under the porch" - Not handsome

"when you was a kid, you was so ugly that your mother had to tie pork chops to your ears so the dog would play with you."

1 - 11 of 11 Posts