Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
VIDA !!! will murder you..
1,636 Posts
give him some time and he deserves it.......and even great players have bad days but gary looked rusty might be because of the long break,cant write him off like this from his one game!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I for one was glad to see Gary Neville back.
I've gotta admit he was a bit rusty with his crosses, just like he was against Zenit the other week but he's certainly not lacking in drive and I'm sure if we give him another few starts he'll be back to form.
It cant be easy for him mentally though, hes gotta feel to an extent that United has moved on without him, what with the success last season while he was injured.
Like a previous post mentioned its maybe heart rather than head talking here, but I thought he had a good game considering, and think we should give him a chance.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I think the head has got to rule in this case.

Yes, hes been a fantastic servant, but I think his time could be up.

Now, I didn't see the Villarreal game, and I only seen highlights, so I can't comment on his full game. However, whenever I seen him on the highlights it didn't look great, and it wasn't just last night. Whenever hes played since he came back from his injury, his performances have been pretty poor.

Of course, he was out for a year, so it may be a bit unfair judging him. But how much time can we afford to give him? Hes been poor, hes 33 now so its unlikely he'll get back to a high standard.

And, to be brutally honest, and this may sound harsh, I would rather spend more time preparing Rafael for the first team than trying to get Neville back to a high level of play.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Fergie praise for skipper
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4208261,00.html

United chief delighted for Neville

Sir Alex Ferguson has hailed Gary Neville's return to action with Manchester United.

The Red Devils chief admits he was worried his captain would never play top-flight football again after a string of injuries had sidelined him for nearly two years.

Neville has finally returned to action this season and is being tipped to earn a recall to the England squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Belarus next month.

And Ferguson is quick to praise the 33-year-old for getting back into the first-team fold.

"When you consider the way Gary has been plagued by injuries for 18 months, he has done brilliantly to come back so convincingly," said Ferguson.

"At one point I thought he would not make it back into the Premier League. But he has and all credit to him.

"He persevered and never lost faith, despite the succession of niggles and strains that followed his ankle injury. He is a role model for any player feeling down on his luck."

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Like Sir Alex i was very very worried about him..What more with Brown splendid performance for us the whole of last season..Seriously i never thought that he would come back this soon but against Bolton he showed that age doesnt hold a barrier for him to fight for his placing. All credits to him for being able to get thru the injury.

In saying that thou as excited as i am to welcome him back, im starting to miss Brown.:( To me Gary edges Brown thru his intercepting run forward which we rarely get to see Brown doing it and the crossing of course. But i think Brown is stronger in tackles and are better at defending compared to gary.. oh well..arent we just blessed with options:D ..I wouldnt complaint much thou to whoever going to start but given the choice, no offence to Brown but i will always go with Gary when fit.:p

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Its great to see Gary back but is he as good as Brown or Rafael?
I dont believe he is. He still has a bit to offer, but only as a squad player in my view.
Its Brown's position for me right now, but Rafael seems likely to threaten that sooner rather than later.

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
It is absolutely imperative to keep a man of Gary Neville's stature in this squad. However, I don't think he should be our #1 RB atm. He can't seem to get a good cross in lately, though he looks as quick as ever in the overlap.

I've been very impressed by Rafael (who hasn't?), though I fear he may get caught out of position a few times. Its a good thing he has such a class fullback in Patrice Evra to learn from in terms of positioning.

Wes Brown took the armband against Celtic today, and I must admit, he has been playing pretty well since Liverpool. Its plain to see why Simpson was loaned out.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts