Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Neville agrees new Man Utd deal
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7901529.stm

Manchester United captain Gary Neville has agreed terms on a one-year contract extension which will keep him at Old Trafford until 2010.

The 34-year-old has spent his entire career at Old Trafford and made his debut against Torpedo Moscow in 1992.

Neville joins fellow veteran Ryan Giggs in signing a new deal at the club.

"Manchester United is the only club I wanted to play for so I am delighted to sign for another year," he told the club's official website.

The full-back has been plagued by injury for the past two seasons and spent 13 months on the sidelines with an ankle problem.

However, despite the emergence of young Brazilian full-back Rafael in his absence, United boss Sir Alex Ferguson was keen to tie Neville to the club.

Neville has started nine Premier League games so far this season, featuring in a further three as substitute, and has also played three times in the Champions League.

Since breaking into the first team in the early 1990s, Neville has made 565 appearances for the club and Ferguson says the new deals for both him and Giggs are vital.

"Gary, Ryan and Paul Scholes are the spirit of Manchester United and so we are delighted that Gary has signed for another year," said Ferguson.

"He is a true professional and I admire how he has overcome an injury which kept him out for over a year, returning as good as ever. He deserves this new contract and we are very happy to have him here."

- To me this is good news. We've needed all ur defenders this season, so this will give the boss good squad strength- I also think Rafael still has a lot to learn about his defensive duties and hopefully he can learn that from watching more of Gary and training with him.

·
Registered
629 Posts
This is a good news for us. Gary Neville brings in all the experience and although he may not be our first choice right back the next season he will be vital for our squad. He is a top professional and deserves the contract extension. His inclusion will also give us good squad strength and playing with him will surely help the younger players in the squad.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Brilliant news, i think he won't play much next season but he is a brilliant person to learn off for rafael in particalur and even brown can learn more from him, one of the best right backs of all time a legend! :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
great news. he brings stability and experience into our backline, and i think we will need him much in europe. he is our captain, and i cant see him being anywhere but man utd. vds, giggs, scholes and neville now all have contracts until 2010, so we will have all the old heads with us until then. their presence on the pitch, off the pitch, in the dressing room are going to be crucial for us staying at the top for the next 2 years. they will teach the new boys all they need to know about playing for man utd.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Great news for everyone at Unuted. He, Scholes and Giggs have fully earnt it after all their years here, even if they didn't play and they were still around it still has an effect. Neville has put in a fair few preformances, some good, some bad. Good news for Rafael as well, Neville must be a decent mentor to have :p

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Great news for the club and fans. Maybe he wont play that much but his presence in and off the pitch is big. Hopefully he'll be back from injury and he can join the team

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
Good news generally I would say.

He can't play consistently or get up to his previous standards imo but his experience when he does play and off the pitch will help the other players and the team.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts