Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else think it's time for him to retire? He hasn't got the legs for the Premier League anymore and even his positional sense is awful a lot of the time. He's been a great servant to the club and a fantastic captain. He's United through and through and will always give us his full effort, but his full effort simply isn't enough these days.

This is far from being a knee jerk thread, those that know me will know that I'm usually a very positive poster and not a member of the doom and gloom brigade. But I get nervous every time I see him on the pitch these days and most of the time he's made defensive cock ups, proving that I was right to be nervous. I don't want to remember Neville like that, I want to remember the Neville that would bomb down the wing putting quality crosses into the box and would also be defensively sound. Every time he's up against someone with pace or someone taller than him he just can't compete. It's time for him to retire in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
He's certainly lost his pace, and seems to lack awareness, not being able to read the game like a Rio or a Vidic can, which is weird considering his experience.

I will say that Giggs was being written off a year ago and he's now re-invented himself, but that'd be very hard to do for a defender. Definitely, he needs to assume a sparodic role. Trouble is, half our defenders at the moment are injured, so he can't.

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
Yes, he should retire. There`s no place for sentimental feelings here .. The facts are what they are, i wouldn`t have said the same about a 25 year old player .. But he`s over 30 now, its natural that he is losing his quality. We can`t afford any more mistakes of these - Although to be fair, only Rooney seems to be the consistent one nowadays, the others? Let`s not mention :rolleyes:

I know it, and i believe Fergie knows it and maybe even Nev - Time up. We`ll never lose our respect for what you`ve done, you`re a legend, you really are. But its for the sake of the only team you have loved throughout your life.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I've been saying all season that I don't think he can get back up to a good enough level to be playing regularly or in the bigger games. Tbf though, he was only playing because of other injuries (Brown, Ferdinand, Rafael, even Hargreaves etc)

He did put in a fantastic cross after he came on, but defensively he's now all over the place and I really don't think we should give him a new contract for when his runs out in the summer.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I've just been thinking the same thing Zuco.. As much as I hate saying it, I think it's time he does retire.. He just hasn't got the pace to play against top opposition anymore..
He seems to be prone to make defensive errors every time I see the balling coming to him..
When Brown and Rafael are fit next season, I dont see him getting much 1st team football either..
Like you said he's United through and through and he's been a great servant to the club..
I love the guy aswell, but maybe it is time he hung the boots up..!

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
I never thought I'd see the day that I'd rather see John O'Shea at right back than Gary Neville.

I've lost all confidence in Gary, the amount of time he's missed due to injuries has essentially ruined his career. Its easy to see how unfit he is, aside from a good cross a few minutes before Tevez scored he looked absolutely terrible, and I can't think of one good game he's had this year.

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,076 Posts
Hopefully Wesley will be back soon as with Rafael out its leaves JOS to fill the role,and he is categorically 100% NOT Man United RIGHT BACK material.....he was far too exposed not only tonight (Porto) but over the season on many occasions.I think Neville will know his time is near but at the moment we dont have a choice.He will be remembered in our history forever and I love the bloke,fantastic player,person and role model to any up and coming talent.It will be a sad day when he leaves

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
8,772 Posts
I think he should retire. We are a team who are trying to win trophies every season and he just cant cut it. He is 5th choice now IMO. Jos, Rafa, Brown and Hargo are ahead of him

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think he should retire. We are a team who are trying to win trophies every season and he just cant cut it. He is 5th choice now IMO. Jos, Rafa, Brown and Hargo are ahead of him
I'd even play Fletch at right back ahead of him.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Gazza's become a scapegoat for fans this season and I don't think he really deserves all the criticism he has received. Yes, he has been below par, but right now, he is really the best RB we have in the team in terms of defensive qualities. His attacking isn't all the substandard either - he delivered a great cross for Rooney which Wazza almost scored from. If you asked me, I would always play Wes ahead of Neville, but for the time being, he is the best choice we have.

Imagine if he retired before this season and Wes was still injured. Only Rafael and O'Shea as true replacements? Quite risky if you ask me...

·
United's masseuse
6,296 Posts
i like to edit so i get more posts

and yes i would pique is far beyond evans lol. i known this from the start.
Strange reason but yea .. anyways.
You have to settle with Evans now, that unknown lad who stepped up in the bigger scene and astonished everyone. He made us forget all about the absence of our missing center backs in some matches .. And apart from today `s match, he was always a consistent player who kept on doing his job in a humble way even tho everyone forgot about him.
He`s class, he really is. Can`t see where you`re coming from with the point of Pique > Evans.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
i like to edit so i get more posts

and yes i would pique is far beyond evans lol. i known this from the start.
Weren't you the fella who wanted to spend £25 million on Diego, even though, firstly he is not worth it and secondly wouldn't fit in and thirdly has a bad attitude and fourthly smokes??? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't get it, id have Gary ahead of O'Shea at RB any day of the week. He offers so much more going forward. I'd have had O'Shea at CB and Neville and RB. Nevilles one cross that Rooney nearly put home was 10x better than anything O'Shea produced tonight, and his passing was more accurate, as well as inspiring the goal against Villa in the 93rd minute!

Don't know where you guys are coming from at all....

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't get it, id have Gary ahead of O'Shea at RB any day of the week. He offers so much more going forward. I'd have had O'Shea at CB and Neville and RB. Nevilles one cross that Rooney nearly put home was 10x better than anything O'Shea produced tonight, and his passing was more accurate, as well as inspiring the goal against Villa in the 93rd minute!

Don't know where you guys are coming from at all....
Neville has been at fault for one goal in almost every appearance he's made this season. His defensive awareness is almost non existent.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts