Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or does every other utd fan cringe when they see Garys name on the starting line-up?

i know that hes done a huge amount for us over the years, but he really is past it. his ability to read the game is nearly gone, his past wonderous crossing of the ball has diminished greatly, and his defensive attributes cost us on several occasions.

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
really? as ive expressed on several thread im a big john o shea fan, but hes not going to be a great permanent man. but rafael is outstanding. don't you think?

O'Shea does a job when asked upon, but he's too prone to messing up, and will get skinned alive by any pacy winger. Although, to be fair has had a great season for his standards, and deserves to start the final.

Rafael positioning is quite bad, and often leaves Rio coming across to cover, which leaves gaps in the defence. Will get better with age.

Neville, doesn't need explaining.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I wouldn't say cringe either, but when i've seen him in recent games for us he does look prone to make defensive errors. I don't want to criticise him here. We're are talking about one of the best right backs in the history of the Premier League here - but I honestly feel he should maybe think about retiring in the summer. He's been a loyal servant to this club and I respect him for everything he's done but maybe it's time he looked into coaching.

I just don't see Gary getting much football even if he's fit next season. We're all hoping Rafael will continue to develop and get more game time. Wes Brown should be back for cover in that position and the versatile O'Shea will always be around to do an honest job.

I wouldn't be all that confident in seeing his name on the team-sheet anymore though to be honest.

·
Banned
27,712 Posts
i wouldn't say cringe but i don't feel confident with him there anymore currently id rate him as our 4th choice right back and thats not including Hargreaves who IMO would be better there too.

he has been a great player but he just isint the player he is unfortunately he will always be a legend in my eyes but sometimes you just have to move on i hope he gets a job as a coach at the club though as Rafael could learn alot form Gaz

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
WHAT?!!!! are you well in the head? mate he has lost his abilites. ive acknowledged how much he has done in the past, and perhaps i was a little harsh in saying i "cringe" when i see his name, but he is in no way better than rafael.
Its true, rafael is way behind neville in defensive abilitys, his poitioning is terrible and he goes flying into tackles when there is no need. The lads gonna be quality but he's got a lot to learn. Neville was getting into some good form before his recent injury and can still actually defend.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
WHAT?!!!! are you well in the head? mate he has lost his abilites. ive acknowledged how much he has done in the past, and perhaps i was a little harsh in saying i "cringe" when i see his name, but he is in no way better than rafael.
Are you well in the head?

You reckon Rafael is a better defender than Neville.

Rafael is still learning the game and will improve as he develops in the 1st team,
but he is still inexperienced at defending. He's great attacking and supporting the play but he's rash with his tackling and his positioning is very poor at times.

Neville maybe coming to the end of his career but he still knows how to defend a lot better than Rafael.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
look, neville is not what he once was. in fact, hes nowhere near what he once was. rafa is an excellent player. and he offers alot more going forward aswell, which is something that is vital from a full back. and is also something gary used to do exceptionally well. but rafas deffending is also better than garys. gary is too slow. his reading of the game is gone. in a game recently he misread a situation and his mistake lead to a gaol. i think it was in the champions league- the 1st leg against porto??

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
look, neville is not what he once was. in fact, hes nowhere near what he once was. rafa is an excellent player. and he offers alot more going forward aswell, which is something that is vital from a full back. and is also something gary used to do exceptionally well. but rafas deffending is also better than garys. gary is too slow. his reading of the game is gone. in a game recently he misread a situation and his mistake lead to a gaol. i think it was in the champions league- the 1st leg against porto??
Christ stop digging mate you're talking *****.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.