Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...are three of the most liked United players and have been through it all, and are
still going.

However, age catches everyone and all three are entering an era when fresher
legs are looking to push the stalwarts out of the first team.

Gary has to contend with, 07/08 seasons automatic right back and a bloody good
stand in for Gary, Wes Brown...

Ryan has the task of keeping Nani, Ronaldo and Park out of his way on the left
side...

Paul has the talents of Anderson, Fletcher, Hargreaves and a few others to
contend with...

Question is...who will go the distance?

Who will keep the performances up longest of the three, and stay in the first
team.

All three have shown signs of aging in the last few months, with Gary not being
able to retain full fitness, Ryan being kept out of the side and not at his best
when he does play, and Paul always seems to pick up a lengthy injury once he
returns.

For me, Scholsey will be the stand out. Once h comes back, he is more then able
to hold his own in midfield and can control the games and tempo.

Ryan and Gary are really going to have to bust a gut to keep their places IMO. Its
sad in one way to see it, and in another way very good as there's others capable
of playing the respected roles.

Discuss...

Edit;

Also, do you think that any of them will stay either in the game, or
involved with United once they do hang up their boots, likE former team-
mate of the threesome, Ole did with the reserves.

And if yes, what roles do you see?

Theres always been reports of Gary doing coaching and that Scholsey is
interested in management...

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
Ryan Giggs is our top assist man and one of the best performing players this season

Scholes still rock but he need to recover soon and get back to full fitness

and Gaz had only one bad game so its not the end for him

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've missed the point of the thread abo...I didn't ask how they were performing...

..I asked...

Keano! said:
Question is...who will go the distance?

Who will keep the performances up longest of the three, and stay in the first
team.
Keano! said:
Also, do you think that any of them will stay either in the game, or
involved with United once they do hang up their boots

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Without a doubt Scholes, the other two unfortunately have suffered more with their loss of pace (not that Gary was ever fast), Scholes was always going to be the 1 who would last the longest... I still think Scholes when he's fit and on form is still one of the best midfielders in the world... His performance in the CL semi Finals last year were absolutely astonishing and I will never forget them

Goggs has looked a little better through the middle, Gary unfortunately can no longer be trusted in the big games... it will be a v sad day for me when they are all gone, Giggs is 1 of my all time heroes as is Scholes and I'll probably shed a tear when they along with Gary hang up their boots for good!

All I feel will stay in the game in some fashion, I have a feeling Scholes could make a fine manager... I dont think any of them would like to be stook with idiots like Jamie Redknapp in the Sky pundits box of ******s

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I can only echo what eoinho said.

Scholes can play on the longest amongst the three and still be effective.

Giggs hashad a few good games in central midfield, but was awful as a striker against Celtic and infuriating against Arsenal.

I still can't believe fergie brought Giggs on instead of nani against the arse.

What a huge mistake.

Ryan Giggs is not Inzaghi.

His days of weaving through defences and scoring a sublime goal are long gone.
He is a legend and was for many years one of my very favourite players, but he isn't anymore and to me should only be used in central midfield against weaker teams.

Giggs should retire at the end of this season.

Neville still can play until the end of next season.

He might be behind the pecking order, but still has something to offer. For my money, Wes Brown should be starting and rotated with Rafael, but when both need a break Neville can step in and still do a decent job - as a back up player.

Paul Scholes looks to be in good shape to me and can also play until the end of next season and still fight for a first team place.

Anderson and Carrick can still learn from Scholes and although he doesn't has the legs anymore, he still has the awareness, ability to create space and vision.

He can still effectively be a first team player, albeit maybe not for the games against the stronger and faster teams. I say this because Anderson is doing a good job and shows no fear against the big teams and Carrick is an automatic starter.

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
^ I agree, although I think Giggs can play next season aswell - aslong as he is prepared to play as even more of a squad player than he is now. His performaces at CM have been goot IMO.

Neville should rretire at the end of this season IMO. Scholes - who knows? He has never been physically anything special but he has the best footballing brain at the club. I think 2 or 3 more years.

Right now for me Giggs and Neville should be squad players, particularly Neville, but Scholes would still be in my starting 11.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts