Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gerard Piqué

Just been called up to the senior Spain squad. Gutted that we lost him, but I suppose we had no other choice since his contract was running out. Would have loved to have seen him and Jonny forming the centre half partnership in another 5-6 years...

·
HODOR!
7,033 Posts
Yeah i was quite disappointed to hear he left would have loved him to stay and as berba08 said to form a partnership with evans in a few years

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Who cares? Only one of him and Evans could stay and we kept Evans who is the better player.
Vidic is still relatively young and will be around for years, so its not as if Pique/Evans
would have played together for years anyway. Good luck to him, but he wont be missed.

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
He is too good to be a bench boy but not good enough to be ahead of rio or nemanja .

That is fergies art . He manages to get above average bench boys to stay at the club .

But he also doesnt stand in way of players futures .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Who cares? Only one of him and Evans could stay and we kept Evans who is the better player.
Vidic is still relatively young and will be around for years, so its not as if Pique/Evans
would have played together for years anyway. Good luck to him, but he wont be missed.
There's fightin' talk for ya...;)

·
Statto
5,644 Posts
In one of the Reserves threads, somebody was saying that it's good business for United to develop lots of plays and sell a number of them on each year.

Due to injuries to both Rio and Vidic at times so far this season, do you think Gerard Pique would have become a first choice centre back for United if he was still at the club? I was thinking about Reserves who have been sold in the past couple of years, and he's the only one who's gone on to bigger and better things since leaving. In other words, we sold a guy who became a starting defender in the team that beat us for the Champions League.

·
There is no Noxiousd, only ZUUL
16,031 Posts
In one of the Reserves threads, somebody was saying that it's good business for United to develop lots of plays and sell a number of them on each year.

Due to injuries to both Rio and Vidic at times so far this season, do you think Gerard Pique would have become a first choice centre back for United if he was still at the club? I was thinking about Reserves who have been sold in the past couple of years, and he's the only one who's gone on to bigger and better things since leaving. In other words, we sold a guy who became a starting defender in the team that beat us for the Champions League.
I think he and Evans would be right up there, with Rio closer to the exit

·
Registered
284 Posts

At the begging I was gutted when he left,but now it does make total sense to me.
fergie preferred Johny Evans who had Drogba in his pocket basically,which really says alot about the lad.
Pique is not doing as well as he did last year,he made alot of mistakes and got away with most of them.
Rio's situation is worrying,but on the bright side of things we still have craig cathcart for the future and we've been linked with simon kjaer.
ryan shawcross is doing well at stoke i'd love to have him as a backup.

·
Statto
5,644 Posts
At the begging I was gutted when he left,but now it does make total sense to me.
fergie preferred Johny Evans who had Drogba in his pocket basically,which really says alot about the lad.
Pique is not doing as well as he did last year,he made alot of mistakes and got away with most of them.
Rio's situation is worrying,but on the bright side of things we still have craig cathcart for the future and we've been linked with simon kjaer.
ryan shawcross is doing well at stoke i'd love to have him as a backup.
Does anyone know the situation with Shawcross? Obviously he was at United and we let him leave, but did we do the deal with some kind of clause that we have first rights to buy him back? I'm surprised that there is so much speculation linking us to a former player.

·
All round nice guy
3,887 Posts

I cba to repeat what I said in the other thread where we discussed Pique, nor can I be bothered to find that thread and quote myself, so I'll just leave it at this - yes Pique would've become first choice CB, he would've been ahead of Evans too (like he was when he was at the club).

Imagine if we kept Pique, potentially we could've had another world class defence in 5 years time (that cost peanuts, to boot) Rafael - Evans - Pique - Fabio. Ah well, atleast we've still got 3 of 'em.

Does anyone know the situation with Shawcross? Obviously he was at United and we let him leave, but did we do the deal with some kind of clause that we have first rights to buy him back? I'm surprised that there is so much speculation linking us to a former player.
I've heard we have a buy back clause for him, no idea what sort of figure it is though.

·
Berbatov>Tevez
11,077 Posts
Who cares? Only one of him and Evans could stay and we kept Evans who is the better player.Vidic is still relatively young and will be around for years, so its not as if Pique/Evans
as much as i'm impressed with evans, i have to ask you nonetheless

do you still think this ?

·
Least popular Moderator
24,837 Posts
Everyone knew he always had great potential, but unfortunately I don't really think that his game suits the Premiership, due to his weakness being his lack of mobility.

Luckily we have Evans, who is at a similar level and is more suited to playing in the Premiership.

Good luck to Pique though.

·
Manchester Is My Heaven!
40,932 Posts
its a first option if someone bids for him stoke must tell united them if we match that bid we get him at least thats what i think it is

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,917 Posts
Evans is the better option for us, ability wise they're probably on a similar level, so we made the right decision, besides, I can see Evans staying at the club for many many years (and apparently, corry evans is shaping up nicely too) so I think we had to let 1 go, and although a great player in the making, Pique was the right one to drop.

·
Registered
694 Posts
we still have tha kjaer if vidic leaves, shawcross and we're looking at the infamous dodo again. There's also van der wiel and alderwerils in holland doing things in defence.. the young italian boys at bari and genoa ain't doing too bad.. there's jorge rolando doing well in portugal, the next bruno aslves i hear ;), UMM.. Jermoe boateng is quite good as well, reported to have a good future at centreback while he can also play across the back4..

our options are pretty good with or without vidic i think :)

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
We should have sold rio to make room for him - and yes, I am at least being half-serious. We would have gotten a fortune for him at the time, and that was just after the xmas party fiasco. I thought SAF was going to get rid of rio for sure after that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts