Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gerd Müller

Easily one of the most prolific and successful strikers in history, yet for whatever reason he's never mentioned along the likes of Maradona, Pele, Cruyff in terms of all-time greats. He was capped 62 times, yet he scored 68 goals for West Germany. That, in itself speaks wonders as to the man's ability to score. He was only 5' 9'' as well, and not particularly fast, yet had lethal acceleration over short distances and from watching a few classic matches, and some compilations I've seen that he has perhaps the best sense of reaction when the ball is around the box, aggressive, yet smart. When Ronaldo scored for Brazil against Ghana at the last world cup, it wasn't Maradona's or Van Basten's or even Pele's record he broke, but Gerd Müller's. If he wasn't the best striker ever, he certainly has to be in the top 3 or 4. He is still the top scorer in European Cup/ Champions League scoring as well. Guys like him, Cruyff, Platini, Eusébio, Charlton/Law/Best/Kidd, Albert, Rivera, Fachetti etc. make me really wish I was alive back in their time to witness them play live.



When he first joined Bayern, they were in the second level in the German league, and in a few years he, along with Sepp Maier, and Franz Beckenbauer, they became the biggest club in Germany, and one of the biggest, most successful clubs in the history of sport. ER IST DIE MEISTER.

Honors:

Bayern:
* Bundesliga: 1969, 1972, 1973, 1974
* German Cup: 1966, 1967, 1969, 1971
* European Champions’ Cup: 1974, 1975, 1976
* Intercontinental Cup: 1976
* Cup Winners’ Cup: 1967

West Germany:
Euro '72
'74 World Cup

Ballon D'or:
1970


There's no music. Sorry.
 

·
Least popular Moderator
Joined
·
24,837 Posts
He doesn't get recognition as his style wasn't particularly easy on the eye. He didn't have the pace, tricks and skill that the others have.

He was 'just' a goal predetor - but a bloody good one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
Has Inzaghi overtaken Müller as the all time European top goal scorer?

Don't worry I'm well aware that Müller is a superior striker but I think Inzaghi has overtake his record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts
He was kind of like van Nistelrooy or Solskjær, doesn't have the flair of somebody like Cantona, but incredibly gifted at scoring goals. Such a shame he had to play for FC Vacuum...

Regardless, a true great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,207 Posts
A relentless goal-scoring machine!

His nickname was "The Bomber"

He could score and did score from every conceivable angle. He didn't pack a punch in his shots, but the placement was sublime and for his stature he was a great header of the ball.

His career average is almost a goal a game and that at the very highest level of football!

BTW, I did mention him recently in my all-star weekend thread. ;)

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it. The man was a lethal predator!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
I think people are forgetting a certain player called Romario he had a similar record to Muller I would even go as far as saying he had a better record.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
red dave said:
I think people are forgetting a certain player called Romario he had a similar record to Muller I would even go as far as saying he had a better record.
He also has an ego that can barely fit into some of the biggest stadiums in Europe. :D

Remember the whole "1000 Goals" fiasco? Officially only Pele has scored 1000 career goals.

Romario however claimed he had matched that feat, which would've made him only the 2nd player in history to have done so.


Except Romario was counting any goals he'd scored i.e. For his school etc. :p Some people even joked he counted backyard goals.

I'm not saying he wasn't good but I think to be considered a great you need the personality to match.

Larsson, Müller & Ronaldo (Brazilian) were humble & didn't talk themselves up. They just performed.
 

·
I'm so gorgeous they want to arrest me
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
DER BOMBER was possibly the greatest goal-getter of all time. He got 10 goals in the 1970 World Cup and Germany got to the semi's. He is a true great. He was stocky and didnt look like a natural athlete but he was the mother of all predators.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
dlan4327 said:
He also has an ego that can barely fit into some of the biggest stadiums in Europe. :D

Remember the whole "1000 Goals" fiasco? Officially only Pele has scored 1000 career goals.

Romario however claimed he had matched that feat, which would've made him only the 2nd player in history to have done so.


Except Romario was counting any goals he'd scored i.e. For his school etc. :p Some people even joked he counted backyard goals.

I'm not saying he wasn't good but I think to be considered a great you need the personality to match.

Larsson, Müller & Ronaldo (Brazilian) were humble & didn't talk themselves up. They just performed.
i am a massive brasil fan since saw them play in the eighties and all that.......pele also added many amateaur goals into his tally also friednly/exhibition matches etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,457 Posts
scottsati said:
i am a massive brasil fan since saw them play in the eighties and all that.......pele also added many amateaur goals into his tally also friednly/exhibition matches etc
16-Keano-16 said:
Yes Pele was adding goals that he scored for the army teams.
I didn't know that but there you go. For what it's worth I do rate Romario. Both he & Müller were great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,505 Posts
dlan4327 said:
I didn't know that but there you go. For what it's worth I do rate Romario. Both he & Müller were great.
yeh was a different era back then and they tended to add literally every goal you scored onto your total..which is good in one, romario was a great goalscorer don't think he was typical brasilian player thoug he was more a european style scorer than a brasilian flair player....which is what they needed at the time after their failures of the eighties
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
516 Posts
Rooneys_Temper said:
Is that DVD in your 'under the bed' collection senna :p
:D
LOL...it isn't a DVD. It's the nickname of Gerd Müller. But I've got some matches on DVD who plays at the World Cup and Euro.

Kleines dickes Müller - Little fat Müller.
 

·
MUT all-time great
Joined
·
21,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RedForceRising said:
BTW, I did mention him recently in my all-star weekend thread. ;)

Thanks for the video. I enjoyed it. The man was a lethal predator!
I left him out of mine, which proves just how forgotten that man is, when a guy who writes a bio out on him forgets to put him in his all-star weekend. :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,730 Posts
dlan4327 said:
He also has an ego that can barely fit into some of the biggest stadiums in Europe. :D

Remember the whole "1000 Goals" fiasco? Officially only Pele has scored 1000 career goals.

Romario however claimed he had matched that feat, which would've made him only the 2nd player in history to have done so.


Except Romario was counting any goals he'd scored i.e. For his school etc. :p Some people even joked he counted backyard goals.

I'm not saying he wasn't good but I think to be considered a great you need the personality to match.

Larsson, Müller & Ronaldo (Brazilian) were humble & didn't talk themselves up. They just performed.


Larsson was class but to compare him to Romario please come on !!!
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top