Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has Inzaghi overtaken Müller as the all time European top goal scorer?

Don't worry I'm well aware that Müller is a superior striker but I think Inzaghi has overtake his record.

inzaghi has taken over the record from the uefa perspective...the fairs cup was taken over from the uefa in the early 70s and was called uefa cup......but the uefa dont include the fairs cup goals of players in uefa records...the only difrense between the fairs cup and uefa cup is the name..müller has scored 7 goals in fairs cup season 1970/71...
müller in alleuropean cup games inclusive fairs cup has scored 69 goals in 77 games....he still today is the recordholder with his 69 goals..and his goal per game rate of players with 20 or more goals is the best too in history of european cups..

·
Registered
8 Posts
He doesn't get recognition as his style wasn't particularly easy on the eye. He didn't have the pace, tricks and skill that the others have.

He was 'just' a goal predetor - but a bloody good one.
müller was bothfeeted and his airial game was very good......this alone in big parts is fundamental to be a sucessful centerstriker...zidane wasnt a player with great pace ..puskas,maradona or messi more or lesser was/are only strong leftfooters and this players airial game wasnt great too...ronaldo9 or henry wasnt great headers of the ball too...this players are still called great players.....

müllers game wasnt about pace..he didnt need it...tricks are nice looking for the fans , however not really important for the sucess of a team...müllers game was rationel and effective for him and the team..müller won everthing a striker can win...... he was more effective than many players where had better skills or was masters in tricks..

the most important aspect of a striker anyway is scoring goals and contribution for goals....and müller was responcable for many important goals..he very often has scored the gamewinning goals or 1:0 leads for his team where put his team in a very comfortable situation...

few days ago i have read a article written from a sportjournalist where müller goals was descripted--the majority of müllers goals was scored few feets away from the goal-....such argumentation has nothing to do with the reality of müllers career...such argumentation is misleading and makes me angry ..this suggest a wrong picture of müller...in fact müller has scored the most goals from distance 6-12 meters....

the creator of the topic allready has pointed out some strenghts of müller...another strenght of müller was the goal in back actions , his turn and shot actions with or without defenders in his back..leftfooted and rightfooted turningshots..in this category müller was unique talented in history.

here a videolink with of one important goal müller has scored with a leftfooted turningshot against frankfurt in season 1973/74..not sure beckenbauer assist was a shot first..müller picked up the ball with great ballcontrol and unbelievable quick finished the action with a turningshot...

YouTube - Müller '73-74 (vs Frankfurt)

here müllers gamewinning 1:0 goal against hamburg season 1972/73..this time rightfooted scored..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxdlWInFnLg

another strenght of müller and not often mentioned is (he has not only scored tons of goals for munich in the bundesleaque)that he had many assists of goals in the bundesleaque for his team ..between 1965/66 and 1976/77 he had the most assists of players who has played along with him in this timespan...he had a better assist rate than midfielder roth and libero beckenbauer...between 1970/71 and 1977/78 he had the most assist with hoeness coming second...between 1965/66 and 1970/71 only teamate brenninger was slightly better than müller ..brenninger has left the team after the 1970/71 season and hoeness has joined the team same season....

example season 1970/71

müller and netzer from gladbach was the leaders in assists in the leaque with 12 assists..the second best in munichs team had 6 assists..
one year later in season 1971/72 müller was ranked third best assister in the leaque with 14 assists..netzer with 17 and müllers teamate hoeness 15 assists was better...season 1974/75 müller has lead the team with 11 assists....the second best in munichs team had 6 assist..

in season 1969/70 müller and breninnger was the best in munichs team with 8 assists each..

the assists stats are not 100% known for every of munichs goals..however in big parts known..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
muller was one of the greatest strikers the game has ever seen......he never gets mentioned alongside pele, maradona and cruyff etc because people make that great distinction between certain players and positions......its always the players with the great tricks etc invariably playing between the midfield and forward line who are always cited amongst the worlds best.

goalkeepers, defenders and pure strikers are always overlooked when people talk about the greatest ever which isn't fair if you think about it........same thing happens all the time though and always will.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I can't talk about Gerd Muller because I never watch him play, but my father told me that he was a great player for Germany and one of the best of that time :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
muller was one of the greatest strikers the game has ever seen......he never gets mentioned alongside pele, maradona and cruyff etc because people make that great distinction between certain players and positions......its always the players with the great tricks etc invariably playing between the midfield and forward line who are always cited amongst the worlds best.

goalkeepers, defenders and pure strikers are always overlooked when people talk about the greatest ever which isn't fair if you think about it........same thing happens all the time though and always will.
sure..but high entertainig players like ronaldo9 in majority get positive reactions for goals from fans and the medias..if müller score goals a good goal, excellent goal or a poacher goal ..its called typical müller goal..

here the footage of the europeanchampionscup semi final game bayern-munich-real madrid 1976 (second leg)...munich won 2:0 with 2 excellent müller goals..leftfooted halfvolley and rightfooted precise shot in the corner (challenged from 2 defenders where has kicked his legs)...madrid was spanish champion 1975 and 1976 with german players netzer and breitner in the team.. barca with cruijff and neskens behind real madrid in both years..

here the goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZPetV4Crg

only 1 person has used the youtube footage for a reponse...this speaks volumes..

müllers performance and quality of the goals in this game wasnt worster than (example) ronaldo9 performance against manchester 2002/03...roonaldo9 is praised in the olymp , got standing ovations ect...the only difrense is that ronaldo has scored a third goal (a tap in )....judging both leg games..ronaldo9 against manchester at home was held scoreless...müller in madrid has scored a very good goal and the game has ended 1:1.(unfortunately the spanish television has used only 1 camera and in the moment müller has scored the goal the tv camera has shown a replay of action of madrid....(description of a ec cup publikation)müller has picked up a pass from franz roth and beat his marker benito outside of the box...the spanish keeper has challenged müller , but müller beat him with a precise shot..(the spanish tv commentator has descripted this action - a ravinisimo contraatacke.-.müller has scored all 3 goals in the semifinal in both legs and has fired his team in the final 1976....

i have both 1976 semifinal games on dvd in my collection..

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Muller is the best out and out goal scorer in football history imo his goal record speaks for itself. In terms of what makes the best ever striker (player) it is hard to say as it depends on what team the person is playing in and what role you need to fill in that team in some prespects in terms of out and out goal scoring he has to be considered number one pick.

·
Registered
8 Posts
another great game of müller in europeanchampionscup.....

europeanchampionscup replay final 1974..
bayern munich-athletiko madrid 4:0

müller early in the game a excellent pass for hoeness..hoeness miss a open goal...few minutes later müller from distance 11 meters hit the post with a header...

here the footage..

YouTube - Bayern v Atletico 1974 (First Half)

later he did score 2 excellent goals for the 2:0 and 3:0....

here the footage of his 2 goals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7WdA0Ozak

gerd müllers goals in this final was qualitywise better than the final game goals cruijff or van basten have scored...ronaldo9 has played 42 games but never has reached a final in championsleaque...romario has played a final but was relativ useless , loosing 0:4 against milan 1994.....

müllers stats in eurochampionscup games..

he has played 6 season in eurochampionscup .3 europeanchampionscup titles....total 35 games played and 35 goals scored(best goal per game ratio ever)...he was 4 times eurochampionscup topscorer 1973,1974,1975,1977 (record, twice tied)..1976 he was runner up eurochampionscup topscorer with 5 goals behind jupp heynckes from gladbach (6 goals)...müller was wrongfully (offside) recalled in the final 1976 against st.eitienne a goal.the action was in minute 2 of the game...this was the reason he wasnt co-topscorer with heynckes 1976..

here the footage of the action....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSXt_CM4WYc

·
Registered
8 Posts
germany-swiss 1972...germany won 5:1

müller has scored 4 goals and did have 1 assist.....the best assist of the game from müller...he has assistet netzers goal with a backheel pass.....the footage confirm what a great finisher müller was...

YouTube - Müller vs Switzerland (1972)

here footage of müllers worldclass passing game 1970 in a NT game against hungary (action 2 and 3 of the footage)...germany won 3:1....1-2 doublepass action with beckenbauer..beckenbauer unfortunately missed to score sucessful the volley...müllers backheel pass assist for sieloff where did score a goal....the other 2 goals müller did score but no footage excist...2 goal and 1 assist game for müller...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nngSmWVdMAQ

i have in my collection footage of 5 goals müller has assistet with backheel passes...the other 3 backheel pass assists he did in the bundesleaque between season 1973/74-1975/76.....in bundesleaque season 1972/73, a publikation and gamereport i own list him a backheel passaction assist too....(against hertha berlin)...in a timespan of 6 years there is information / footage of 6 goals müller has assistet with backheel passes (4 in the german bundesleaque and 2 with the german NT)......i cant remember and i havent information a other player (current or in the past)where was more sucessful in this category..

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.