Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steven Gerrard: Winning title at Liverpool means more than medals elsewhere - Telegraph

"The reason the whole Chelsea thing came up was down to frustration that we were so far away from the title race," Gerrard explained this week. "That's why their interest maybe turned my head slightly. But I look back now and I'm really pleased I decided to stay because I am part of a top team here that can be successful."
He's saying he wanted to join Chelsea to win the league because he didn't think Liverpool were anywhere near title contenders.

I thought he only stayed because Liverpool gave him a massive pay rise?

Can one of our scousers clear this up? :whistling:

·
23,699 Posts
Best players play for ambition, not money. He probably thought there was more chance of trophies with chelsea.
Not too different from Rooney who knew he had to leave Everton to win any serious title in his football career.

BUT in Gerrard's case...

He is the captain and he is already playing for one of the Big Four. To contemplate jumping ship to another of the Big Four for the same objective is quite phenomenal.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I don't think Gerrard is greedy. At the time he was linked with Chelsea he was one of the very top players in the world, carrying a team that was absolute *****. He deserved better than what was around and and when he got the chance to go to one of Europe's top teams he considered it, but decided to stay loyal to his club. I think he earned his massive pay rise to be honest.

I seem to remember Roy Keane demanding massive pay rises but we don't call him greedy do we?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Can one of our scousers clear this up? :whistling:
What's the point when you've made your mind up?

The guy wanted to leave. Sure. He wanted to win trophies and thought that Liverpool were not good enough. He changed his mind. Do we know the exact reason? I'm sure there were plenty of discussions with his teammates, the manager, and other people at the club. We don't know what was said.

He didn't get a pay rise to stay, but he did later sign a contract extension that included a pay rise. Pretty normal I would have thought.

If it was all about money, he would have joined Chelsea. Even if Liverpool did offer him a pay rise to stay, Chelsea still would have offered him more.

It was clearly about wanting to win trophies. It's completely understandable that one of the best footballers in the world would want to have a successful career as part of a successful team.

I'm just happy he changed his mind, and his actions and efforts since completely forgive the mistake that he made.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.