Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can probably tell from my name I'm a pretty big fan of Rooney but even though I may be looking through tinted glasses I think that Rooney comes in for some unfair criticism a lot of the time.

The latest thing is that he is not selfish enough. I'm not a massive statistician but I do know that over the last couple of seasons Rooney is only behind Ronaldo in the combined scoring and assists table which rightfully explains our success over those 2 seasons. I am also aware that during these seasons Rooney has been criticised for his poor performances. Something about this doesn't add up.

Expectation has been high for Rooney since bursting onto the scene at Everton and some magical performance for England up to when he got injured at the Euros 04. Then when he came to United everybody thought he would become the best player in the world. It is the high expectation that is his achilles heel.

When United don't play well critics especially, but supporters also, often blame a poor performance of Rooney as the cause. The pressure this puts him under must be massive.

I think we all look to players like Rooney for inspiration and are disappointed when he doesn't play to his best. But I believe the best of Rooney is still ahead but no matter if he makes no further improvement because he is still a very good player and one of our best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think everybody would agree that Rooney needs to work on his finishing if he wants to be considered as one of the best strikers but is he a striker? There are not many players like Rooney in the world strangely we have the player that is most like him in Tevez which is of some concern to me but that's another story.

What I'm trying to say is the Rooney of old was never a goal scoring machine but more of a link up player that scored goals many of which were amazing. Rooney works best with a target striker not as the target striker. I think that is why Sir Alex has played him off the right or left so much in recent times.

The difficulty for Sir Alex is who to play our team around. Last season Ronaldo made this a very easy choice but this year I don't think it will be that easy especially if Berbatov comes. I've tried to work out how you play Rooney Tevez Ronaldo and another striker together but I can't see it. That's probably why I'm sitting in front my computer now and not in the dugout.

I like seeing Rooney in a free role a la Cantona where he can run around like a street footballer and express himself in what I think is his favourite role? Its going to be really interesting when we have a fully fit squad with a new addition( hopefully Berbatov) to see how we line up. Its quite exciting just thinking about it?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
If I have one gripe with Rooney it is his temper. Teams do need passionate players that give everything but his outburst towards officials are inexcusable at times. He has already picked up a a yellow card this season for exactly that reason and with the new respect campaign he will have to change his ways soon or he is going to end up missing matches some of which could be very important.

I think he can improve his discipline and his finishing too which seems to be most fans problem with his performances in recent seasons. I think finishing ability goes hand in hand with experience and Rooney is still pretty young. I seem to remember Scholes being involved in poor finishes early on in his career and Ronaldo has become a great goal scorer over the last two seasons.

It is interesting to see where fellow fans see that Rooney requires improvement and the linked articles are good too not least RedForceRising's which is very good.
Another big season for Rooney is ahead with expectations never higher I hope we all can give him time to realise his and our dreams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.