Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just has some thoughts on our guys and how long they can go on playing...... are we and they selling themselves short on this one??

why exactly can't people, even themselves see them playing at the top level in 2 or 3 years time, other great players, say maldini or matthaus were or are going at around the age 40 mark and still playing at the highest level on an even more regular basis . giggs and scholes are certainly in this class and have both kept themselves physically and mentally in tune so why so much talk of retirement?

the key for me is that not only do they have good football brains, but more importantly they have common sense and are level headed off the field, unlike say gasgoine or ronaldo ( brasil) who were both football geniuses, but whose brains and lifestyle off the pitch let them down badly when both could have been playing at the highest level for many years longer had they not been so stupid.

giggs and scholes are in the former class of maldini; players who have that common sense attitude to life and football and have kept themselves in top physical shape and have importantly ADAPTED their game to suit their advancing years and their position within the team. couple all this with the fact that now players are in the most peak of condition thanks to personal workout schedules , dietary routines and training techniques and the stage is set for them to continue longer isn't it??

i don't think anyone could argue that this season, although not used all the time that both of these guys have put in startling match changes performances, against both big and small teams whther starting or coming off the bench where the younger pretenders have either been ordinary or stumbled, showing their is no substiture for class, age and experience.

with players such as maldini in mind could anyone not see why both Scoles and Giggs ( and evn Nev to some extent) could not go on playing and contributing to the team for a few more years yet, don't they still have something extrordinary to offer beyond the one year people keep talking about, shouldnt and couldn't they still easily be around in 2 or 3 years time and doing a job? if not what makes them so different to other players who have played on later? for me personally they are both up to it and shouldn't be thinking of retiring -rather how they are going to stay fit for the next 3 years or so?? agree??

·
Banned
16,006 Posts
The probably main difference is you can get away without having the legs at the back if your positioning is excellent. Which for sure both Maldini's and Matthus was. You need legs a little more in the middle of the park. They would find it hard to keep competing with athletes like Essien. Still though, they are in fanstic shape. Maybe I am selling them short.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
The quicker pace and more physical nature of the Premiership may be a factor imo. But if they can cope with that as they get older, then why not?

It's similar to Sir Alex as well imo. We all talk about how Sir Alex should go out on a high, and it's the same with Giggs, Scholes and even Neville.

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
The quicker pace and more physical nature of the Premiership may be a factor imo.
Definitely.

Stanley Matthews wouldn't have been able to play into his 50's in the modern era.

Teddy Sheringham proved you can keep going until your 40 though. I guess it's a motivational thing as well as a fitness thing. Must be hard to get out of bed for training sometimes.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
i reckon the fact both have retired from the international fold has played a part too.

say 10 less games a season, more if there is a summer tournament

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agree the main distinction between leagues is the faster pace and nature of the premiership but other players have played at international level before and at the highest club level well beyond where giigsy and scholes are now. still think they would have something to offer well into the future, as people they well have it within them to do so.

international retirements have made a big difference though and we are the ones to get the benefits

1 - 6 of 6 Posts