Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United stalwart Ryan Giggs admits his glittering career could come to an end in May.

The Red Devils midfielder is set to see his current contract at Old Trafford reach its conclusion at the climax of the 2008/09 campaign.

With no new terms on the table the Welshman admits that, after 19 years of loyal service to the reigning Premier League champions, he may be forced to hang up his boots.

"I will keep playing as long as I enjoy it, I am fit and the manager wants me," Giggs told The Sun.

"If one of those three things stops, I will consider retiring.

"It could be at the end of this season. Or it could be the next one. I am at the end of my contract in May, so we will see. At the minute, there hasn't been any contact with United.

"I am as fit as I have ever been. The only difference is recovering from games.

"Two days after a game, I am still tired. Before, I could play Saturday-Wednesday, Saturday-Wednesday no problem.

"Today, I would be a lot less efficient at doing things. Nowadays, I only play once a week, it's very good that way."
Confident

Giggs has won every possible trophy during his time at United, with 10 Premier League titles and two UEFA Champions League crowns representing the pinnacle of his achievements.

He admits that he would slip into retirement as a contented man, should he be forced to do so, with age having mellowed him and allowed him to appreciate how fortunate he has been.

"Today, victories and titles make me happier than when I was younger, because I know that they could be the last ones.

"The Champions League win last season made me a lot happier than in 1999, for instance.

"I am lot more confident than I was before. My relation to stress has changed over the years.

"When I was first in the first team, at 17 or 18, I felt no pressure at all. Nothing. It lasted for three to four years.

"Then things changed, injuries happened, I had poor games, and suddenly I started feeling the pressure. It weighed on my game.

"But since I turned 30, I don't think about anything any more, there's no pressure."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11667_4753573,00.html

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
He's time will come..and somebody else will wear the nr 11 shirt:)it's a cycle and Giggs's at the end...and it will happen..sooner or later

·
Banned
11,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He should just hang up the boots at end of the season and just look back on what he has won and achieved in his career.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
giggs is a true legend one of the greatest this club has ever seen, still think as a squad player he has something left to offer and as a future coach/manager think he will have a lot to offer

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I really hope he doesn't call it a day just yet....Maybe 1 more season after this.

He's been a favourite player of mine ever since i started supporting Utd as a little kid. I'll be very sad when the day does come. :(

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Ryan Giggs is a Manchester united legend.

He is the reason why I started following United in the first place and it really hurt to see people talk about him in such vile terms last season.

I really want Giggsy to retire with dignity and he really is coming to the end and he SHOULD retire at the end of the season.

For anyone, who hasn't seen it, you must watch Ryan Giggs- True Red.

http://www.manutdtalk.com/forums/man-utd-videos-united-moments/16117-ryan-giggs-true-red-dvdrip-xvid-torrent-2.html

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It will be a sad day when ge does hang them up, just like when Ole did it. I hope he'll do a Bobby Charlton and be around around old Trafford forever. I'll the never forget the impact he made when he started out. Scoring winner against City on first League start at Old Trafford must be an unbelievable feeling.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
marty davidson said:
He should just hang up the boots at end of the season and just look back on what he has won and achieved in his career.
yeah, i totally agree with you. I jut think the signing of Tosic has shown the curtain is beginning to close on his great career. :(

·
Banned
2,730 Posts
I think Fergie will have a word and let him know his role is now too guide the youner lads and I think thats a task Ryan himself enjoys .

He is invaluble to the likes of Wellbeck and Possebon , Rafael , Fabio and the rest of how to keep yourself fit and conduct yourself in training .

·
Smeghead Moderator
13,664 Posts
I guess it's up to the club now. There's no way Giggsy would move to another club at this stage of his career so if United decide they no longer require his playing services and don't offer him a new contract then he will have no option but to retire. However, even if this does happen I would be surprised if the club did not offer him a coaching role. He's been taking his coaching badges and after being at the club for so long he'll know it inside out.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
I would love to see him play for us for one more season. He can do that, or if he hangs his boots than he should be given a position at the club if he's interested

·
TROLOLOLOL
4,077 Posts
Again this story is as much of a shock as Ronaldo>Real ..True legend though and he isnt stupid enough to carry on for the sake of it .

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I remember a young Giggs who was quite injury prone and now he's still playing football when he passed 30 with margin. He must have been looking after himself impeccable.

Hopefully he will take a decision that is best for RYAN GIGGS in the summer and no matter if he retire or carry on playing I hope he will be at Manchester United.

They dont make footballers much better then Ryan (Wilson) Giggs....ever.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
it will be a very sad day when he eventually hangs up those magic boots of his, giggsy is a prime example of how a pro should conduct himself on and off the pitch.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Will be an awful day when it happens. If its at the end of this season
I just hope to feck we can win him his 11th title, like the shirt number. :D

Ever think the number 11 jersey could be retired for him?

·
MUT all-time great
21,962 Posts
Jazz 16 said:
Will be an awful day when it happens. If its at the end of this season
I just hope to feck we can win him his 11th title, like the shirt number. :D

Ever think the number 11 jersey could be retired for him?
I saw an interview where he said he didn't want it retired "cause I'm gonna be retiring, not dying" or something like that.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
As sad as it is, Giggs is coming to the end.

In recent seasons, his role has been scaled down and he isn't playing a lot of games.

I really think he should retire in dignity at the end of the season, and we should offer him another role here.

Hopefully he can get his 11th title to match his shirt number, and retire at the top.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts