Manchester United Talk banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Best bit about this is keeping an absolute professional around for younger members of the squad to take notes from. Hope some of them take advantage from playing with one of the top 3 players in United's amazing history. Oh yeah, and he is a half-decent footballer to have around. ;)

·
Arse Bandito
1,527 Posts
happy for him.
well deserved.
he has put in a few blinding performances recently to make anyone calling for his release look a bit premature. you would expect this to be his last, but he's extremely fit and if he can be solid 20/25 games a year and put in a few really experienced performances in big games here and there then why not longer.

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
I think he'll set an amazing example to all the youngsters and is a great player, deserves it after all he's achieved and his performances this year 5 goals for a 35 year old winger/centre mid is pretty good!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Mixed feelings about this to be honest.

Giggsy is one of my very favourite football players and the main reason I started following United.

The last time he had "an Indian summer" was in 06/07 and last year (all trophies aside) was quite a poor season for Giggsy with him playing poorly and many so-called fans calling for his retirement.

I do not wish to see that happened and wish he could go out in a blaze of glory.

The flip side of the coin is that he definitely still can change games, and has been doing so all season long.

The young'uns still can learn from him.

Also, Fergie will stay on another year and by all accounts so will Gary and Scholesy so maybe it's the grand scheme. The master plan so to speak.

The entire guard including VDS and Fergie will retire at the end of the 09/10 season.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Mixed feelings about this to be honest.

Giggsy is one of my very favourite football players and the main reason I started following United.

The last time he had "an Indian summer" was in 06/07 and last year (all trophies aside) was quite a poor season for Giggsy with him playing poorly and many so-called fans calling for his retirement.

I do not wish to see that happened and wish he could go out in a blaze of glory.

I realized you pointed positives as well, and not starting a piss-fight or anything. I think that part of his poor play in the last campaign was having to learn how to cope with not being on the wing as much though. Learning a new position, especially one that doesn't rely on the pace he had been blessed with had a little bit of a learning curve.

Maybe it is wishful thinking to say I don't think his form will drop next year, but as long he stays in top shape as he has in the past, his form might even progress as he is still learning a different role.

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
Cappy said:
I realized you pointed positives as well, and not starting a piss-fight or anything. I think that part of his poor play in the last campaign was having to learn how to cope with not being on the wing as much though. Learning a new position, especially one that doesn't rely on the pace he had been blessed with had a little bit of a learning curve.

Maybe it is wishful thinking to say I don't think his form will drop next year, but as long he stays in top shape as he has in the past, his form might even progress as he is still learning a different role.
Good point Cappy. Well said.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Cappy said:

Fair point, but Giggsy has be known to go through dips in form, you know. Even when he was playing on the wing regularly.

I'm not slamming the guy - I just don't want to watch MUTV and hear brain amputees call for his retirment. People who haven't kicked a ball in over 20 years bashing the most decorated footballer in English football history was painful, you know?

He's having a good season and nobody (not even Ryan himself) would begrudge him if he quits at the end of this season, even if he still has another year in those legs.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Fair point, but Giggsy has be known to go through dips in form, you know. Even when he was playing on the wing regularly.

I'm not slamming the guy - I just don't want to watch MUTV and hear brain amputees call for his retirment. People who haven't kicked a ball in over 20 years bashing the most decorated footballer in English football history was painful, you know?

He's having a good season and nobody (not even Ryan himself) would begrudge him if he quits at the end of this season, even if he still has another year in those legs.
I absolutely agree. One of the most painful things in the world for me was watching Michael Jordan with the Wizards on his last comeback. I grew up as the biggest Bulls fan in the world and watched every game of his. Then to see him struggling to score 15 a game and seeing the game pass him by was devastating.

I never took it as slamming Giggs, by the way. Just more optimism that maybe thats why his game struggled a bit last year as we was learning a new style and pace to play at. Hopefully, I am right, but we can only wait and see.

Sorry if it feels like I am starting to rant now, but one thing that has been bothering more and more in sports is when fans say when they think a player should retire. This is the players livelihoods as well. It is a job, a business, a profession. I mean, would I ever think that Joe the plumber needs to hang up his crescent wrench when he is at the top of his game as he can change a busted pipe faster than anyone around at age 35?

Granted I realize it is a stretch of a comparison, but at the same time, who are we to say when players should retire? I know it is frustrating because we have learned to love the players who have represented our club so well, and we want to see them go out on top, but look how many times "we" was in that sentence. Kinda selfish on our parts to think we should be the ones to determine when a players career should be over.

I know all the arguments. It is frustrating to see Gary keep clawing at it when it might be holding back Rafael's development, which creates a logjam where we almost lost Wes Brown as well. I realize it is painful for some to not see Ryan racing down the wings anymore, and not be able to find that extra gear to slide past the last defender.

That is what makes it that much more beautiful to me though. These players have come full circle. How often has it been so easy for Scholes to knock passes around the pitch back in his heyday. Now to see him struggle at times it reminds me that he is human, and allows to me to appreciate how absolutely fantastic he was.

/exits my soapbox

·
Member of the Year 2012 & 2013
43,914 Posts
i think 38/9 is ambitious and he'll only be a bit part next year and (possibly) year after, i hope he breaks the appearance record and i hope he remains a legend, i.e doesn't become crap by playing till hes 40

PS how is crap not a swear word when d.a.m.n is ?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts