Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
U N I T E D United Are The Team For Me
186 Posts
Giggs was incredible. Keep him in the middle. Cheeky corner was so well planned too. Great performance. Giggsy deserved his MOTM

·
Im not fat... im sex.
8,817 Posts
give me another 4 years of giggs after today he looked fantastic in CM today

that man i love

and how nice isit to see threads praising players :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
he played magnificently, at his age, he showed his experience, wasnt affraid to run at chelsea and the players must have seen that and felt more confident. Giggs now is that clever midfielder like scholes but giggs can still drive and its what we have been looking for someone to drive at the opponenets

·
Registered
135 Posts
he was great today. absolutely brilliant. he definitely surprised all those people who were disappointed in the lineups before the match.

·
Registered
83 Posts
who wud have thot we cud come up with a scoreline like this with the midfield we played but giggs held the fort and just proved a class above the rest

·
Registered
46 Posts
Can never bring myself to say a bad word about Giggsy, and today he proved me right. His intelligence and steadiness is second to none. Well done you legend!

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
I love giggsy and it's nice to see him receiving praise, but I just wantto remind ppl that he's in the twilightof his career and bad performances happen. Who would have thought you'd ever see Scholes play like he did against Derby?

My point is - it's great to show Giggsy some love, but please be understanding the next time he plays below par, because it really hurts me to see some of the remarks he received this season and last on this very forum.

·
Keen on Fella's
8,472 Posts
RedForceRising said:
I love giggsy and it's nice to see him receiving praise, but I just wantto remind ppl that he's in the twilightof his career and bad performances happen. Who would have thought you'd ever see Scholes play like he did against Derby?

My point is - it's great to show Giggsy some love, but please be understanding the next time he plays below par, because it really hurts me to see some of the remarks he received this season and last on this very forum.
this fella talks sense , great post rfr..

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RedForceRising said:

Yeah Giggsy wont give us 45-50 games like this every season anymore. The fire inside wont burn as hard a rainy monday evening in Hull as it does when Chelsea is on the other side and the club have to fight for their honour.

And today Giggs and some of the so called squad players showed you dont have to be a u-tube player to create magic.

·
has been served
2,947 Posts
True legend. I do think he should hang his boots up though. He hasn't performed like he has today for a long time and I doubt he will again, if ever. I want him to be remembered for that performance, the game that saw the curtains close on his illustrious career. True legend.

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
spellbound said:
Yeah Giggsy wont give us 45-50 games like this every season anymore. The fire inside wont burn as hard a rainy monday evening in Hull as it does when Chelsea is on the other side and the club have to fight for their honour.

And today Giggs and some of the so called squad players showed you dont have to be a u-tube player to create magic.
Spot on.

thekeanefella said:
this fella talks sense , great post rfr..
Why thank you! :)

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Giggs the cunning architect of triumph
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/giggs-the-cunning-architect-of-triumph-1598689.html

Rafa Benitez no doubt knew it all the time but if anyone, anywhere, had been too deeply influenced by his burst of counter-propaganda, here we had the reality of Manchester United's pursuit of a hat-trick of Premier League titles.

Alex Ferguson doesn't do it entirely with what might be described as football's ultimate dirty tricks campaign.

He also spends quite a bit of time assembling players not only of huge talent, but also of deeply competitive character. Players like, most notably in this evisceration of Chelsea's claims for a serious place in the race between United and Liverpool, Ryan Giggs.

Along with Paul Scholes, the 35-year-old Welshman was widely believed to be heading for his last run at glory.

But then, if ever Giggs feels a forlorn tug of longing for those days of his bounding and brilliant youth, a performance like this is surely a matter of the deepest satisfaction.

The legs aren't so quick and the reflexes are maybe not so sharp, but in the matter of understanding the dynamics of a match that simply has to be won, Giggs remains in an exclusive class indeed.

This was especially evident in the moments just before half-time when he helped lift United on to an entirely superior level of effort and performance.

Before the eruption, Benitez had reason to hope that he might survive a little more profitably the weekend of psychological warfare that had appeared to have drifted away from him with the disappointment of a goalless draw at Stoke.

United, despite the alarming failure of Chelsea to strike anything like the routine force which was their stock in trade under the command of the watching Jose Mourinho, were making very little headway.

However, referee Howard Webb ruled out a United goal that was certainly cunning but legal in every respect.

Giggs raced up not to take a corner but carry on a move initiated by his team-mate Wayne Rooney when he casually stroked the ball out of the corner quadrant and walked away from the action.

Giggs crossed and Cristiano Ronaldo headed in and the officials said that the corner was illegal.

Ferguson gave the smallest indication of a smile when he was told later that Rooney hadn't told the linesman he had taken the corner.

"He didn't have to," Ferguson said, whose humour had been enormously improved by the fact that Giggs, in the way of superior veterans, had simply got on with the business of re-taking the corner, from which Nemanja Vidic promptly scored the opening goal.

Confidence

Later, Giggs dismissed the idea that the rest of the 3-0 exercise was about destroying the confidence of Chelsea as they contemplate the rest of the season.

That confidence, he might have said, appeared to be in tatters even before United began to find some impressive rhythm in the second half. Instead, he stressed the vital need of United to build some self-belief for themselves.

"You don't really think about how this is affecting the other team," said Giggs. "You just enjoy the fact that your own confidence is growing."

Long before the killing strokes were delivered by Rooney and Dimitar Berbatov, United were indeed beginning to look again like a team who had returned to a mood that might produce some serious title-marching.

However, under the most serious analysis, it was maybe not a triumph guaranteed to fill Anfield with too much alarm.

Yes, United displayed plenty of virtuosity towards the end -- Cristiano Ronaldo had steadied to the point where he was producing almost as many points of danger as tantrums -- but there was certainly an uneven quality to much of the performance.

It was as though Chelsea's desperate uncertainties had dragged down any expectation that United might be required to produce anything like the kind of commitment and nerve and fluency that went into the Champions League-winning performance in the spring.

United's commitment department certainly wasn't over-staffed in the first half -- and as they toiled to make any kind of impact, there were those familiar cries for the burrowing drive of Carlos Tevez.

The Argentinian quite shamelessly milked the impasse, clapping the Old Trafford fans and holding his heart, perhaps in some kind of unsubtle commentary on what had been going on. Much later, and still wearing his tracksuit, Tevez was wearing a rather more pensive expression as such as Rooney and Berbatov began to look as though they were in much less dire need of his introduction.

His disappointment was no doubt also Liverpool's concern.

When Ronaldo, Rooney and Berbatov struck up the levels of understanding that eventually separated the teams so profoundly, there was simply no market for the selfless and so often valuable work of Tevez. Here, surely, is a force equipped to make a sustained impact on the title race.

Whether it is now installed as smoothly, and as permanently as Ferguson later suggested is, of course, still open question. United might also ponder the lack of midfield rhythm which seemed to be a direct consequence at times of Michael Carrick's absence.

Collapse

Of course, there was Giggs, waspish, defying the years and in the most crucial moments supplying the vital edge of confidence, but until the virtual collapse of Chelsea as a seriously competitive unit, there was still a sense that United had known much more coherent days.

Giggs carried the day, as Scholes might have done in similar circumstances.

But maybe United do need some harder evidence that younger, much more expensive men are about to strike new levels of consistency. Without that, United cannot believe that yesterday's move was necessarily anything more than a passing advantage.

The reigning champions do need to show a wider authority. They need less rage and a few more moments of brilliant clarity from Wayne Rooney.

They need Berbatov to integrate himself a little more regularly and Ronaldo to prove that he isn't going to spend most of the rest of his days in Manchester in the missing genius file.

Given all this, United should do it easily enough. But then as Benitez might say, there is still time to fight the apparently invincible foe. Independent News Service.

- Commentary

·
He wipes front to back
27,654 Posts
Justice said:
True legend. I do think he should hang his boots up though. He hasn't performed like he has today for a long time and I doubt he will again, if ever. I want him to be remembered for that performance, the game that saw the curtains close on his illustrious career. True legend.
there is still life in the old dog yet . the key is playing him in from the flank .

teams are not used to a centre mid taking them on as usually they pass to get ball forward .

When people talk of club legends they always mention george best charlton and law but ryan must surely come above these 3 now ?

10 titles 2 european cups is it 3 fa cups ? or 4 medals on the table is what its about and loyalty and ryan is unbeatable on both counts .

plus he doesnt have a raging ego ------ we will only really realise what a special player ryan was when he has gone .

·
Registered
629 Posts
Fantastic player! He is a footballing genius. And 'WOW!' is the right word for his performance yesterday. He has been really fantastic over the years and yesterday he showed all those who had forgotten why he is the most capped United player. Absolutely magical at times, he really brough back memories of the past.

He has adapted to his role of playing in the Centre excepionally well and that makes him one of the best players around as he can adapt to any situation. He played at left-back too a week ago I think. A fantastic player rather a fantastic team player. He has devoted his life to United and I hope he can stay for more seasons to come.

He may have slowed down a little but he has become cleverer and cunning with his move. His determination and desire to win still hasn't been diminished and it is because of all this that he is one of the greatest players to grace the pitch at Old Trafford.

Ryan Giggs - A Legend!

·
Registered
216 Posts
But then if ever Giggs feels a forlorn tug of longing for those days of his bounding and brilliant youth, a performance like this is surely a matter .....Giggs carried the day.man of the match well deserved.long live legend///

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
i've said many times in this forum how to me giggsy is a true legend at least on par with best, charlton etc and well above players like ronaldo( who needs to stay here another decade and win as much). everyone knows about the guys play on the field but still sometimes its too easy too forget some of those performances in the 90s which eclipsed ronaldo at this best, into the final part of his career and in midfield he can still pull out performances like yesterday.

it's not just his performances that make him so great and respected it's his attitude, integrity and loyalty that put him in a different class.

if there are role models in football for kids to aspire to ,its people like giggsy.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I'm with other United fan when some of WE want to axed Giggs after he let United down by giving Liverpool the second goal...But now, my perspective will completely change after what I saw in the classic match up with Chelsea....SAF was great in playing mind game.....Before this game, Scolari said why I'm not big enough, I've won many trophies in his career.......Big mouth Scolari....Oh !! Giggs keep on your good form....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts