Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What you think?

Rumours doing the rounds for a while that he will retire after Wednesday regardless of the outcome.

Breaking the appearance record, winning his 10th title, and, hopefully, touch wood, winning his second European Cup medal. Good way to leave.

Would like him to get 11 titles though, to make his shirt number.

·
23,699 Posts
There is no need for him to retire yet.

Looking at his recent performances as a substitute late on in the game when there are enough tired legs and weary minds, I am confident he can still be a handful for the opponents and can probably go on for at least another 1, 2 seasons for us.

Besides this late thrust we can have, his calming presence for having been there done that (together with Scholes) has also been cited by our younger players as one of the major factors in retaining our crown this season.

Just don't play him from the start please. Spare him the embarrassment and us the heartache.

But if he chooses to retire in a Blaze of Glory, so be it. Afterall, he has done more than his fair share for United, running up and down the left flank more years than some of our younger members have ever lived.

A true legend, loyal and faithful servant indeed. And his appearance feat is unlikely to be repeated in the modern football era in which money talks louder than the heart beat.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
he still got plenty to provide to the team, not necessarily on the pitch, but off the pitch as well. being the most experienced player in the squad, the younger players in the squad sure can learn lot from him. another 2 seasons should not be a problem for a professional, a great player like him.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
It wouldn't be a huge shock to me if he did.

If your going to go out, you may as well do it with a bang.

Championship medal, European medal, beating Sir Bobby's record by
one.....would be some story!

He may decide to saty for another year, but I'd be amazed if he stayed any longer
then that.

Its sad to see that magnificant generation aging. Scholsey and Gazza aren't too
far behind Giggsy in age.

Times are changing but thats football!

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
:mad:
dont be fools it is rumours
i heard a rumours say chelsea gona break up after the final drogba terry and lampard to leave
please dont be f:eek: :eek: ls
:) no offence

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
abojodeh said:
:mad:
dont be fools it is rumours
i heard a rumours say chelsea gona break up after the final drogba terry and lampard to leave
please dont be f:eek: :eek: ls
:) no offence

abo, he's 34 years of age!

The time is nearing every day. He's been in 3 great teams and won it all.

No player can ever and will ever be able to say that again!

He was probably one of Fergies best assest over the years.

But, performance wise, being honest, he hasn't been breathtaking this season be
any means. 3 goals in 41 games so far. He's tiring and its perfectly normal that he
simply isn't as quick and alert as he was years ago.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
it is a possibility...
in my opinion it depends on whether he wants to be a squad player or leave on a high as others have said.

i'd like to see him active for another year though.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Still plenty of life in the welsh wizard, Despite being 34, he is injury free & still match fit, Ex man utd star teddy sheringham only retired from football at the age of 42, That's my opinion if these are rumours or not?

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They aren't just rumours of people's opinion.

A number of people with sources inside United and Carrington have said that Giggs is retiring after Wednesday; another said a senior player is retiring in the summer (meaning Giggsy??).

Obviously, these have been passed down the grapevine, and have been on Red Issue and other United boards.

Nothing certain and the "sources" could easily have got it wrong.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It would be a fitting time for Giggs to call time on his amazing career. However, being the model professional that he is, he won't leave on a high just to make himself look good. If Fergie feels that Giggs can do a job for us next season and play as a backup to Nani, then Giggs will stay. It'll only be when Giggs feels he can no longer offer the first-team anything, that he will retire and become a coach for us.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Iii hope Giggs calls it 2 + 11 + (insert FA cup wins) and out. Stays on next season as a mentor/back-up. Giggs is good at keeping ball posession and his cool head towards the end of matches can not be matched by a youth lad. I thin he'll stay on for a few years yet as a training mentor and coaching role. Maybe something with the kids in in the pipelines for Giggs, maybe Scholes as well.?

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I'd think he'd wanna get Medal No.11 or at least play out his contract. His experience will be valuable for a long time to come. Nani isn't quite there yet and he can learn from the Legend.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sorry not trolling as i think Giggs as been nothing but a legend for us over the years
BUT is everyone confidence that Giggs will play a part on Weds? I cannot see him start to be honest,
AND Yes I believe he has a role either as cool mind experience or moment of skill against trying legs /minds. But both roles are as a impact sub. IMO

However football can be heartless and I cannot see Fergie starting or bring Giggs on just as a sentimental thing, FERGIE will view the game on its merits and will act accordingly . What best for the team and what can a secure victory AND RIGHTLY SO.
So the record may not be broken on Weds .
If Giggs get the record on Weds , I don't see him retiring as I think he still has one season left on the pitch and Years at Utd in coaching role left.

·
Banned
9,926 Posts
Yeah, I can't see him starting.

I see him coming on as a sub around the 70 minute mark

After all, there is a huge game at stake ahead of records!

·
Banned
9,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
pass_me_a_rizla said:
Iii hope Giggs calls it 2 + 11 + (insert FA cup wins) and out. Stays on next season as a mentor/back-up. Giggs is good at keeping ball posession and his cool head towards the end of matches can not be matched by a youth lad. I thin he'll stay on for a few years yet as a training mentor and coaching role. Maybe something with the kids in in the pipelines for Giggs, maybe Scholes as well.?
Scholes won't stay on as coach. Scholes is a family man and doesn't care about fame. He wants to finish his career at Oldham Athletic, and retire to spend time with his family.

Love Scholesy, legend.

joviadca said:
Sorry not trolling as i think Giggs as been nothing but a legend for us over the years
BUT is everyone confidence that Giggs will play a part on Weds? I cannot see him start to be honest,
AND Yes I believe he has a role either as cool mind experience or moment of skill against trying legs /minds. But both roles are as a impact sub. IMO

However football can be heartless and I cannot see Fergie starting or bring Giggs on just as a sentimental thing, FERGIE will view the game on its merits and will act accordingly . What best for the team and what can a secure victory AND RIGHTLY SO.
So the record may not be broken on Weds .
If Giggs get the record on Weds , I don't see him retiring as I think he still has one season left on the pitch and Years at Utd in coaching role left.
Fergie said himself that there is a "very good chance" that Giggs will break the record in moscow. Doubt he will start as I think Nani will get that, but he will most definately come on.

Also, if we are chasing the game, I would prefer Ryan Giggs to be coming off the bench than Park Ji-Sung, Owen Hargreaves, John O'Shea or Mikael Silvestre ffs!

Giggs has the capabilities to win a game for MUFC, and Fergie knows it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
personally i'd call it a day if we won the league, he can now only influence game through the middle therefore it leaves a gap in our wing play, he could play on for another year but if it was me i'd go out on the ultimate high :)

·
Registered
25,467 Posts
I think he might just retire. I doubt the constant grumblings of the 'fans' this
season have been nice to hear for him. His goal against Wigan was great
for him and all the fans were delighted for him.
It still doesn't hide the fact he had a poor season. Its all set up for him
to retire or move on. Breaking Bobby's record, winning his 2nd CL, his 10th Prem.
It will be a sad day when he leaves but I would't be surprised if it happened
after wednesday.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts