1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats what Phil Neville has to say.

Source: Goal.com

Neville: Giggs Better Than Cantona

Phil Neville has praised Manchester United veteran Ryan Giggs, insisting he is one of the greatest players in the club's illustrious history…

The Everton skipper played over 300 games for United before moving to Goodison Park in 2005.The 31-year-old played alongside some of the world's greatest during his 11-year career at Old Trafford, including Peter Schmeicel, Roy Keane and Eric Cantona.But the England international claims none of them, not even King Cantona, were as good as Giggs.

“Ryan has been an absolutely fantastic player — the best I've ever played with,†said Neville. “That's the highest accolade I could ever pay him.

“He's a great lad as well away from football and I rate him even higher than Eric.â€

Greatest

Giggs equalled Sir Bobby Charlton's appearances record for United when he came on as a substitute against Wigan on the final day of the Premier League season.The 34-year-old will claim the record outright should he feature for the Red Devils against Chelsea in Wednesday's Champions League final to notch up appearance number 759.And Neville, younger brother of Red Devils skipper Gary, insists the Welsh Wizard's attitude both on and off the field makes him a bona-fide United legend.

“Ryan's the best role model for any youngster,†he said. “He deserves being called one of the greatest players United have had.â€

Mike Maguire

·
Banned
503 Posts
In my eyes they are both true greats & can not compare them better than the other, each with there own talents who have both done utd proud

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
which ever way you look at it giggs will be the greatest player to play for utd ,i doubt if his apperance record will ever be broken,i doubt if his medal haul will ever be equaled by any utd player.
at his best he could match the late great george best although giggs wasn't as consistent has besty,he scored one of the finest goals ever scored against arsenal "who can forget that one".he stayed loyal to utd for so long without ever being involved in any controversy in todays game and society thats an hell of an achievment by anybodies standards.
giggsy is the perfect role model for todays youngsters to follow and its been a great pleasure watching his footballing carear unfold,and he might just add to his legend in the champions league final tonight ,ryan will always reign as the king of old trafford when everybodies records are compared "he simply cannot be equaled by anybody else".

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Giggs for me is the best left midfielder ever in the history of football and you will be suprised that even some of my scouser mates agree with me on this one! He cannot be compared with Cantona because of the different roles they both played BUT Giggs is for sure a legend.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah id agree with phil , giggs was always a better player than eric, giggs is still the best player iv ever seen play for us and is a true legend who has given us so many great moments to enjoy over his career.

Eric although a great player has always been over rated by most united fans , he wasnt the greatest player we have seen nor was he better than say henry for example or even the likes of Zola .

he never really shone in europe for one thing .

·
Banned
4,946 Posts
Cantona is the best since Busby's team.

He's the only player since that time that could ever be compared to the Babes.

Without him Giggs, Neville, Beckham and Co couldn't win the league !

Cantona was the catalyst ...

The final part of the jigsaw ...

He made it happen he didn't wait for it to happen !

He MADE everything happen he never waited for anything to happen !

He said some bizarre things and he took some bizarre actions ...

Nobody could understand him and nobody could beat him !

He was a genius ... all the rest are merely great !

·
Registered
9 Posts
i dont know , i love eric like all united fans but he was over rated tahts the truth of it , i remember going to games when he was playing and all the players including eric more often than not looked to giggsy to provide inspiration especially when things were not going to plan.

all you heard from the bench and pitch was give it to giggs ,

for everything that giggs has given to us i think its only right that he is looked upon as our best and most important player , otehrs may come and go and burn bright when they are here , but giggs gave us complete loyalty we owe him so much

·
Proto-Hipster
46,959 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Oh I thought we were talking about playing.

If it's loyalty we speak about then yes Giggs ...
its carly and more scary :D
giggs is not better than eric
even in loyalty :rolleyes: eric retired to give player like scholes a first place
to let the younger shine :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
carlyluvsunited said:
Cantona is the best since Busby's team.

He's the only player since that time that could ever be compared to the Babes.

Without him Giggs, Neville, Beckham and Co couldn't win the league !

Cantona was the catalyst ...

The final part of the jigsaw ...

He made it happen he didn't wait for it to happen !

He MADE everything happen he never waited for anything to happen !

He said some bizarre things and he took some bizarre actions ...

Nobody could understand him and nobody could beat him !

He was a genius ... all the rest are merely great !

carly there have been many utd greats,yes cantona was very influental but so was schmeical,keane,robson ,bruce ,hughes and giggs and thats just under fergusons reign.and there are a load of legends from earlier era's also,the only true way of finding utds kingpin is to look at their overall record and giggs wins by a landslide when everything is taken into account.
if it weren't for his many injurie problems in his early days he would be past the 900 game mark by now,whats clouding some fans minds is the fact that his best days have long gone and he doe's not make eye catching moves any more ,but when he retires look at the dvd's of his carear and you won't dissagree giggsy was the best and most loyal of servants to us fans.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I think Giggs is the most loyal and the bigger legend. But he just doesn't ooze of class like King Eric. I've always thought of Scholes as better than Giggs to be honest. Still Giggs was amazing in his prime. But Cantona was the key to the start of our success and it was him that was the leader when our yougsters came through.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts