Manchester United Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
many clubs now have this thing wereby they " retire " the shirt number of a true legend, got me thinking should we do this for giggsy when he hangs his boots up or not?

personally think retiring shirts isnt the thing to do, the greatest act of respect is to keep the shirt number and it will inspire others to follow in their footsteps. take the number 7 for example , if we had retired it after best we wouldnt have seen robbo, becks and now ronaldo in it and the number 7 at united has taken on a life of its own at united and is an inspiration for new players to live up to the past greats- retiring the shirt wouldn't allow that to happen.

so whats your thoughts retiring a shirt number- in this case giggsy number 11 a good idea or not?? a great act of respect or not??

·
Registered
53 Posts
NON-starter for me - imagine if we wanted to retire the number 7, a number players seem to aspire to at United..... plus, good players before Ryan have worn the "11" - eg. Best & Hill - and eventually we'd reach a stage after retiring numbers that our squad will start at "46".... I'll remember Ryan for what he did for us, not for the number on his shirt....

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
misterredmist said:
NON-starter for me - imagine if we wanted to retire the number 7, a number players seem to aspire to at United..... plus, good players before Ryan have worn the "11" - eg. Best & Hill - and eventually we'd reach a stage after retiring numbers that our squad will start at "46".... I'll remember Ryan for what he did for us, not for the number on his shirt....
nice one totally agree.....what p****s me off even more is when clubs decide to retire shirt numbers then a few years later bring them back again totally pointless....

·
Registered
629 Posts
No point in retiring a shirt number. We remember the shirt because of the players that wore them. It would be churlish to retire the number 11. Instead it would be great if we can get more players like Giggs to wear the number 11 in future.

·
hates City
2,913 Posts
Number 11 will be inspiration and honor for everyone that will wear that shirt in the future. The number is not important but the player that wears it. I'm glad that we have a legend like giggsy in the club

·
Registered
1 Posts
Totally agree with NOT retiring the number 11 for a legend like Giggsy. We don't need to retire the number to remember a player of his stature, not just at United but in the game as a whole!

11 should be the inspiration for our up and coming players - and hopefully we'll see many more of them gracing the Theatre's turf just like Giggsy has and still is doing!!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
just give it to someone who deserves it. when he does retire dont just give it to anyone wait for the right player like whats done with the number 7. leave it till someone that deserves it comes along

·
Registered
11,207 Posts
Nah.

To me, retiring a number show reverence and respect, but also a bit of "living in the past".

There will always be the next so-and-so and also 11 is a cool number. We should give it to the next Giggsy!

Maybe Ravel Morrison will wear it one day. :)

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
i think that it is ridiculous to retire a shirt number ,that shirt will inspire future players at the club just like our number 7 does.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
RedForceRising said:
Nah.

To me, retiring a number show reverence and respect, but also a bit of "living in the past".

There will always be the next so-and-so and also 11 is a cool number. We should give it to the next Giggsy!

Maybe Ravel Morrison will wear it one day. :)

excuse me for asking but who is ravel morrison.

·
www.InTheFreeRole.com
5,268 Posts
I don't think we should retire it, but we should keep it until a worthy successor arrives, it will give them a boost to wear such a special shirt.

·
There's Only One Darren Fletcher!
11,978 Posts
Its funny cause I sent an email about this to the Paddy Crerand show when it was in malta :rolleyes: Sadly they never read it :(

But I agree, having the shirt forever only enhances the legacy that it carries

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
I think you got your answer, and i agree with everyone about retiring the No.11 shirt been silly, although i don't think we'll have another player equal what Giggs has achieved for this club so.
But just like the No.7 shirt i'd like to No.11 been a honour to wear and only gave to a worthy successor.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Never really understood the whole retiring of a number thing..

I agree with previous posts, there's been so many legends at this club,
why retire a number now..!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Totally agree with the above posts guys. Retiring the number wouldn't be a good idea but Giggs will lalready go down in the history books and I couldn't speak any higher praise for what he has done in his united/football career.

I don't often use the word legend, but Giggs for me certainly comes into that bracket.

Would Giggs possibly look into taking up a coaching role when he retires, like Ole? Never seen anything about whether he would be interested in anything like that or not when he decides its time to retire.

·
Banned
15,336 Posts
I only think you should retire a shirt if, trying to be polite, someone passes away while still having the number as a mark of respect.

If we retired a number after every legend retired, we'd be struggling for numbers.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I don't think it will be retired, or I don't really think it should be. Giggsy is quite simply one of the all time United legends and it will be a sad day when he retires, but people will remember him for his style of play and what he won with us, not for the number 11 shirt.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts