Manchester United Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Breaking into the first team
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DAVID Gill has emerged as the leading candidate to succeed Brian Barwick at the FA.

The Manchester United chief executive is already an FA board member and would receive backing from many in the organisation, who have been impressed with his work at Old Trafford.

Barwick last night announced that he would step down from his post at the FA and admitted it was "time for a new chapter."

Barwick's departure was revealed last night amid reports of a fall-out with FA chairman Lord Triesman.

"I'm very sad and disappointed to leave, but it's obviously time for a new chapter at the Football Association," he said.

Barwick's time in charge of the FA saw the opening of Wembley and the sanctioning of the National Football Centre.

"We've moved the organisation on leaps and bounds," he said."If I have a legacy, we were sitting in a big stadium last night - it's probably one of the finest in the world."

Barwick refused to comment on reports of a fall-out Lord Triesman.

"The reasons for me leaving the organisation, cited in the statement, I'm very comfortable with," he added when questioned on the pair's relationship.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts